News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT350 B/FX racer found in Chicago.

Started by Thomas, June 19, 2019, 11:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossbill on July 03, 2019, 01:43:18 AM
To recap, the radiator is a C7ZE T2 dated 12/66. Should be an extra cooling radiator.
New info shows an original overflow hose and also looks like it came from a manual transmission car.
The coolant pump is neat.

Doesn't prove anything, just interesting.
FYI no doubt about it that the C7ZE -T2 radiator was only used on a manual transmission car. That is the application the tag indicates.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

To recap, the radiator is a C7ZE T2 dated 12/66. Should be an extra cooling radiator.
New info shows an original overflow hose and also looks like it came from a manual transmission car.

Bossbill ,
          That is a Jabsco Water Puppy  pump common in marine applications ( bilge pump) '69 Trans Am cars used them as pumps for the trans and diff coolers.
       Randy

BTW no one answered my question about it being a GT500. Is it because of the radiator or the 4 speed for a different car?
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Coralsnake

Are those rear shipping tie downs similar to 67 San Jose parts?

Bossbill

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 03, 2019, 11:03:29 AM

FYI no doubt about it that the C7ZE -T2 radiator was only used on a manual transmission car. That is the application the tag indicates.

Yeah, I should have stated that better.
The tag does indicate a manual trans (I do have a tag list), but it is soldered on and could come from anywhere. What I meant by "looks" is that the lower tank looks like it's a manual lower tank as it has no automatic cooler fittings. The picture isn't great.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 03, 2019, 11:21:53 AM
Are those rear shipping tie downs similar to 67 San Jose parts?
Yes, some 67 SJ cars came with the round corner style. It was a mix  of the two with the square corner style being in the majority.  Typically later production when the the round corner style started to be mixed in from my observations.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68blk500c

Thomas:  Look at the leaf springs.  Can you read/photograph a stamping on the bottom of the short leaf?  It could be a part # and date.

George Schalk

You can also check the center section (pumpkin) for a date code and any other numbers.  Maybe it has a "SPEC" rear-end.  More than likely, since it's a drag car, the rear-end was changed out at some point, but still worth checking.

Thomas

Quote from: Bossbill on July 03, 2019, 12:41:22 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 03, 2019, 11:03:29 AM

Yeah, I should have stated that better.
The tag does indicate a manual trans (I do have a tag list), but it is soldered on and could come from anywhere. What I meant by "looks" is that the lower tank looks like it's a manual lower tank as it has no automatic cooler fittings. The picture isn't great.

Bossbill;

I will try to get the car out today and take better pictures of the radiator for you. Thank you for your help thus far.

Are you able to make any distinction as to a window of when this radiator would have been assembled into the car?

Thomas

Quote from: 68blk500c on July 03, 2019, 01:29:45 PM
Thomas:  Look at the leaf springs.  Can you read/photograph a stamping on the bottom of the short leaf?  It could be a part # and date.

68BLK500C;

I will try to find any numbers on the springs and take a couple pictures tonight after work.

Thomas

Quote from: George Schalk on July 03, 2019, 01:53:18 PM
You can also check the center section (pumpkin) for a date code and any other numbers.  Maybe it has a "SPEC" rear-end.  More than likely, since it's a drag car, the rear-end was changed out at some point, but still worth checking.

George;

Sadly, the center section was missing from the car. Would there be any numbers on the rear axle housing? Location?

George Schalk

Quote from: Thomas on July 10, 2019, 12:49:33 PM

George;

Sadly, the center section was missing from the car. Would there be any numbers on the rear axle housing? Location?
Unfortunately, there are no other numbers to locate on the axle housing.  Maybe the rear brake drums are still originals, so you might check the brake drums for date codes, which are cast into the outer portion of the drum. 

Are the axles 28-spline or 31-spline?  The GT350 cars came with the 28 and GT500 cars came with 31.  Do keep in mind, as modified as the car is, the axles could have been swapped out at any time during its race life.

capecodmustang.com

Not sure if a GT 350 would have a SPEC...

Thomas

Quote from: George Schalk on July 10, 2019, 01:28:58 PM
Quote from: Thomas on July 10, 2019, 12:49:33 PM

George;

I'll count the splines this evening. As for the drums and backing plates, they were removed and replaced at sometime by a set of "Hurst/Airheart disk brakes. I've never heard of them before, but they must have been decent as there are only spindles on the front axle... My theory is that this is why the rear tail panel gas filler was cut out. Probably had a parachute attached in the center area to help slow the car after the 1/4 mile. There is NO way that these early rear disk brakes would be able to stop this car at high speed on their own.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Thomas on July 10, 2019, 01:37:21 PM
My theory is that this is why the rear tail panel gas filler was cut out. Probably had a parachute attached in the center area to help slow the car after the 1/4 mile. There is NO way that these early rear disk brakes would be able to stop this car at high speed on their own.

This example ran with just rear drum brakes for allot of runs down the quarter mile. Old school. Of course we have no idea of what the car in question was running (engine unless were accepting it was a small block) not the trap speeds but given the period likely not real fast compared to today looking at the design and layout

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

Hurst / Airheart brakes were THE brakes to have back in that era Wilwood , JFZ , and Brembo were "unknown" at the time to drag racers. Check the end of the axle for a large "semi" oval shape ( 28 splines) or three round holes ( 31 splines) if you don't have that the axles are aftermarket. Since I believe this was a gas class car it could have run from 115-125 mph and should have stopped with rear brakes only , I did it many times myself. Low gears help to slow the car as well , especially a 5 series gear like i run in my '66. I don't even touch the brakes on a 122 mph pass to make the first turn off at Sears Point. Plus you can always downshift.
   50+ years of continuous drag racing means you know a thing or two because you've seen and done a thing or two.
       Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.