News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 GT350 B/FX racer found in Chicago.

Started by Thomas, June 19, 2019, 11:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 12, 2019, 05:12:40 PM
Stripes were originally vinyl not painted
The remnants of the side stripes that are left in the door jam are vinyl. The stripes on the roof are rear panel below the back window are painted blue.

If you refer back a few pages ( page 10) I added a picture of the vinyl stripes in the door jam.

Bossbill

Quote from: Thomas on July 11, 2019, 09:46:45 PM
Here are the Radiator pics from yesterday.

A (Western Modine) W MO 12 66 radiator. Along with the tag (extra cooling, small block, stick) and other attributes it would correct for a SJ built car. Only SJ appears to have used this radiator.
IF this came from the original car it would be a January/early February car, at minimum. This appears to jive with your other parts. Your door striker is of this date range too and would appear indicate a January minimum car.
edit=However, based on your sheet metal find of 2/13 you are now into late Feb/earlyMarch.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

rbarkley

I believe the Julian date on your springs translates to 09 Feb 1967.
Ron

BajaBroncos

Awesome thread.  Old race cars are amazing.  Dont let some of these guys bring down your research - some clearly aren't even reading all the posts before they reply.   Having peeled back layers of paint on 4 of the original Stroppe Racing Broncos with successful identification, I know what you are going through.   Good luck and keep on it.  As some suggested, keep searching for racing pics online and on ebay - try different search terms.   I've collected random folks personal slides of important desert races and photos with detail for under 10 bucks at least 3 times in the past few years. 

pmustang

Wonderful thread,  Thanks for sharing

roddster

By the way, aside from U.S. 30 near Gary Indiana, there is also Bunker Hill out somewhere near Kokomo Indiana, Great Lakes Dragway just over the illinois/Wisconsin boarder, and Oswego Dragway outside (well, long gone) Oswego Illinois.

gt350hr

I attended th MCCAN show a few years back and was AMAZED at the volume of vendors selling period photos from midwest tracks . I spent at least an hour looking at pics of racers this " west coaster"  had never seen ( obviously). IF this car was "flashy" or did wheelstands in the day it "should" have been photographed.
    Good luck!
       Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: gt350hr on July 31, 2019, 11:43:21 AM
   I attended th MCCAN show a few years back and was AMAZED at the volume of vendors selling period photos from midwest tracks . I spent at least an hour looking at pics of racers this " west coaster"  had never seen ( obviously). IF this car was "flashy" or did wheelstands in the day it "should" have been photographed.
    Good luck!
       Randy

That's a great point, Randy.  I've come across websites where photographers from back in the day are selling copies of pictures they took back in the 60s / 70s.  I found this, as I was researching a prior owner of 6S141.  Although, 6S141 was never raced, the prior owner raced a 1965 Mustang in the H/Modified Class and won the 1975 Championship in Florida prior to purchasing 6S141.  Professional pictures from his racing were available for sale.
Nothing beats a classic!

gt350hr

Yes videos and pictures of my car  6S477  show up from time to time on the internet and youtube as well. Understandable  for a car I have raced for 45 years. There are even some from the years I had it painted blue and ran at OCIR. Three major magazine covers don't hurt the "visibility" either
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Thomas

Quote from: roddster on July 31, 2019, 09:33:16 AM
  By the way, aside from U.S. 30 near Gary Indiana, there is also Bunker Hill out somewhere near Kokomo Indiana, Great Lakes Dragway just over the illinois/Wisconsin boarder, and Oswego Dragway outside (well, long gone) Oswego Illinois.
Many thanks to you for this information and also to everyone for the words of support. All of it is helping to keep the search alive.

I will add these new local 60's tracks to my photo search...It appears after stripping the paint layers that this car (originally white) was painted Silver and had flames on the front nose/fenders along with wide blue lower stripes on the rocker panels.