Author Topic: 1967 GT350 B/FX racer found in Chicago.  (Read 34823 times)

Thomas

• View Profile
Re: 1967 GT350 B/FX racer found in Chicago.
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 04:04:23 PM »
correct orientation to read. its upside down on the car.

JessC

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 04:05:31 PM »
Any sign of holes in upper scoops for as mounting of red lights on early cars?
On bottom side of wheel well sheet metal where leaf spring mounts is there holes drilled above it?

JessC

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 04:08:58 PM »
Any Vin numbers on Eng block ? below alt. and on transmission? They were stamped with a number and letter punch set

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 04:10:53 PM »
Good point. Until the VIN or the Shelby tag is located, only an expert would truly know what it is.

I've modified the wording to better represent the status. I would definitely never want to mislead anyone nor misrepresent the car.

There is supposed to be a "Hidden VIN#" on the Car that only Law Enforcement knows of the locations so you might start with you local Law Enforcements Auto Theft Division to see if they can help.  I remember a TV show where 3 Teams were given Money (I think $5,000) and they were taken to a Auto Salvage Yard.  They have to buy a Vehicle, fix it up and then sell it.  The team with the most profit wins.  on one Show, a Team bought a decent White 66 Mustang Coupe with a 6 Cyl.  One member had a weird feeling about the car and decided to call the Local Law Enforcement.  They showed up and made everyone leave the Shop, including the Camera People so they can find the Hidden VIN#.  After about 30 Minutes they walked out and told them the bad news.  The Car was reported Stolen a while back and they had to take it.  Needless to say, that team LOST.
FYI the hidden VIN numbers are common knowledge now days and covered in places like the SAAC Registry. In this case the front aprons needed to be intact for the information to be found.Original engine and transmission can be but not always be a source for the information. Unfortunately that is not helpful in this situation.

I know about the VIN#'s on all the Inner Fender Aprons, those I don't consider them "Hidden VIN#'s". The Detectives in the case I described above actually put on Cover All's to look for the VIN# saying they had to crawl under the Car.

JessC

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 04:13:44 PM »
if motor is Original (slim chance) would it have a ID number on side of block? and same goes for transmission?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 04:15:37 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. A number of clues as to what the car was, 350 verses 500, automatic verses manual, likely build period, are visible. Sure Dave is working through all those data points.

This will help focus the possibilities but alone not lead to a specific car but maybe some possibilities

Good luck
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 04:23:58 PM »
Original tranny?That would help if a 4 speed,however all that you could determine from that is that it is an original Shelby trans.Unfortunately if you are missing the vins up front you will NEVER be able to determine if this car was originally a Shelby...Hence the car will never be valued comparably to a real authenticated car as ALL the Shelby unique details can be replicated..The upside is that you can thrash it to your hearts content on the strip and not worry about hammering a rare classic...Sad fact is that there are way more “1967 Shelby’s “ out there now than ever came out of San Jose/LAX in 1967(hence the healthy repop parts business)...As long as you didn’t pay a “Shelby price”for it you are all good..Have fun with it.One caveat though:don’t represent it as a real Shelby as that won’t come off so well with us that have real(serial number verified cars)..Our cars are quite rare and imposters water down that rarity(if improperly represented)..Once they hacked off the front of that car the “genie left the bottle” and nothing (short of fraud)will entice said genie to renter said bottle.Again enjoy it as the “tribute”it is as IMHO fun is sorely underrated in today’s society.....

JessC

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 04:32:51 PM »
If the transmission has the numbers stamped in it would that be a clue to what car is? and MAYBE traced back to original Shelby VIN? Just a long shot idea

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 04:35:24 PM »
Transmission can be switched between cars so “clue”yes,authentication no...Never known a car registered(or titled) by its tranny....

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 04:38:05 PM »
Also that isn’t how you authenticate a 67.Dave M. needs both Ford and Shelby vins for that.No “fishing” allowed (Thank God)

JessC

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2019, 04:40:47 PM »
I thought that Shelby's had there number stamped on a pad on transmission housing
Same with motors just a thought.. this guy needs all the help he can get and this might  help 

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »
I thought that Shelby's had there number stamped on a pad on transmission housing
Same with motors just a thought.. this guy needs all the help he can get and this might  help

Sure Dave has asked and provided the basics without leading the "witness" at the same time. VIN stampings differed depending on a number of things but sure he had him check in any case and weighting the information provided.

From the pictures, it looks like a Lime Gold paint car and not white like you are thinking.

Looks white to me. Guess we can just as Thomas what color the paint is in the quarter panel and the taillight panel pictures are in person.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:48:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2019, 04:46:22 PM »
There is supposed to be a "Hidden VIN#" on the Car that only Law Enforcement knows of the locations so you might start with you local Law Enforcements Auto Theft Division to see if they can help.

As Mr Gaines stated, there is no unknown or "hidden" VIN. Once the front clip is gone, you have a car without Shelby numbers. Short of a solid paperwork trail you wont find the numbers on the chassis. The car will be forever tainted in my opinion.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2019, 04:50:22 PM »
As Mr Gaines stated, there is no unknown or "hidden" VIN. Once the front clip is gone, you have a car without Shelby numbers. Short of a solid paperwork trail you wont find the numbers on the chassis. The car will be forever tainted in my opinion.

+1 as far as this year and model goes. Do have the books (NATB and others) that the investigators used during the era and my father taught classes on the subject during the same time period.

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2019, 05:03:17 PM »
Another problem is that front clip may very well still be out there somewhere attached to another mustang...This is definitely one situation where “doubling your pleasure” is a very ,very bad idea...food for thought....