News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 GT350 B/FX racer found in Chicago.

Started by Thomas, June 19, 2019, 11:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68blk500c

Agree;  Thomas, I hope you are enjoying your quest as much as those of us following along!  Hats off to those who have the knowledge to help.

gt350hr

It gives some of us "old" racers a chance to visit our glorious past. Things like top fuel racer Shawn Langdon ( now 37)  "before" he was a "baby bump" and his mom was driving my 7 second front engine dragster! Now he's a former champion. Man I am old.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

427heaven

The harsh reality is the old greats are all disappearing... Bob Glidden, Grumpy Jenkins, Lee Shepard, Tom the mongoose, the list is long..... 50 years gone by is a long time. God Speed to all of the greats that dedicated their lives to making fast cars, and those of us that liked to emulate their activities. ;D

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

this is a great thread, we used to Run Modified Eliminator in D/MP with a 68 notch back with a 302 and later on a B/Gas 65 Fastback with flip front end and an injected 427 SOHC, best times with the 3200+ lbs car was low 10's at 135-36 MPH, best times with the D/MP were 11:20's .
Lots of breakage and lots of fun, we could afford to waste the money we spent for a cheap trophy and maybe $10 for a class win and maybe $75-$100 for a modified win. Tracking down sponsors money ( Crane Cams, Kendall Oil, STP, Hooker Headers, etc. was much more difficult. ) Love the tracking down the story on this car, would love to see it fixed as "in the day" and make a short run or two
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Side-Oilers

Agreed on loving to see this car back at/on the track as it was back in the day. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Quote from: Side-Oilers on June 21, 2019, 08:25:19 PM
Agreed on loving to see this car back at/on the track as it was back in the day.
.  Hardest part will be figuring what it was like"back in the day"(and selecting"which day")IMHO

Side-Oilers

True.   I guess I'd choose the "day" that I like the best and do it that way.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Quote from: Side-Oilers on June 22, 2019, 02:17:03 PM
True.   I guess I'd choose the "day" that I like the best and do it that way.
+1
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 427heaven on June 21, 2019, 06:26:55 PM
The harsh reality is the old greats are all disappearing... Bob Glidden, Grumpy Jenkins, Lee Shepard, Tom the mongoose, the list is long..... 50 years gone by is a long time. God Speed to all of the greats that dedicated their lives to making fast cars, and those of us that liked to emulate their activities. ;D
Lost my neighbor a SoCal icon a couple months ago. https://www.dragracingonline.com/archive/columns/baker/xiv_10-1.html At least his son is keeping their current Camaro and the COPO one Chevy gave his dad & partner in 69. Only one old drag racer left in the area now. A couple years ago Don Blair (Blair's Speed Shop) passed and after selling off some cars and a few good parts the rest of the stuff went in the trash.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on June 22, 2019, 04:32:05 PM
Lost my neighbor a SoCal icon a couple months ago. https://www.dragracingonline.com/archive/columns/baker/xiv_10-1.html At least his son is keeping their current Camaro and the COPO one Chevy gave his dad & partner in 69. Only one old drag racer left in the area now. A couple years ago Don Blair (Blair's Speed Shop) passed and after selling off some cars and a few good parts the rest of the stuff went in the trash.
.  But Blair's is still open right?Do you know who runs it now?
I drive by there all the time but haven't been inside in years...

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 557 on June 22, 2019, 05:02:47 PM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on June 22, 2019, 04:32:05 PM
.  But Blair's is still open right?Do you know who runs it now?
I drive by there all the time but haven't been inside in years...
Don sold it many years ago. The guy was to make payments. He sold off the inventory and bankrupted the place. Somebody else bought it and carried on but Don was out his money. He opened another shop on Arrow in Covina and ran it for a few years until health problems caught up with him. He was kind of a soft touch and was always giving parts on credit and holding peoples cars (but not the titles) for larger loans. Lots of times he got stung. I always made it a point to go with the guy up the street to grab his trailer he had stored at Blair's house just for the extra hour it took listening to the stories from the 50s to 70s.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bigfoot

Quote from: 557 on June 19, 2019, 05:03:17 PM
Another problem is that front clip may very well still be out there somewhere attached to another mustang...This is definitely one situation where "doubling your pleasure" is a very ,very bad idea...food for thought....

Legit concern but not likely.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Richstang

Interesting thread. Nice to see so many people who can help chiming in with info.

Thomas, do you have a front 3/4 view photo of the car with the hood closed so we can take it all in with the stance.
I'm also curious if their are any cut lines for the hood/fender or nose piece. (I know you said it was one single piece)
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Thomas

Quote from: Richstang on June 23, 2019, 10:21:55 AM
Interesting thread. Nice to see so many people who can help chiming in with info.

Thomas, do you have a front 3/4 view photo of the car with the hood closed so we can take it all in with the stance.
I'm also curious if their are any cut lines for the hood/fender or nose piece. (I know you said it was one single piece)

Here are a couple that I have of the front area. There are indeed very nice cut lines/body lines between all of the panels to provide the original panel look. For such an old process, they did a fabulous job reproducing the size/shape of the ford panels.

Update:
I WAS able to locate a VIN on the transmission. While it was in fact a 1967 Shelby GT350 transmission, unfortunately it wasn't from this car....Bummer. This particular car is an early build from all indicators, but the transmission is from a much later build date and from a different color car....
Due to the strict guidelines of the Shelby registry, I was not given any information as to which car or what color it was (The car that the transmission is from). While it would be great to know this information, I completely respect the process they follow in the registry and know that the right people have the records on file should the trans ever need to be reunited with its original chassis.

Harris Speedster

Thomas,
You did locate a piece of the puzzle.
Did the number off the trans ID it as a 289 or 428 trans ?
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7