News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967 GT350 B/FX racer found in Chicago.

Started by Thomas, June 19, 2019, 11:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Quality or lack there of will help provide an idea of its background also. Same goes with an inventory IMHO of the parts present and used. Was this soem home grown car or was it more professionally built?  As mentioned there are allot of details, I've been down this road before also. Lots and lots of dead ends and possibly nothing.

If it has a name - records - and a great history it would be easier to find its past. Without it its just another Saturday night special.

Not that it can't be as much fun today but its more personal satisfaction and dollars that might not get recouped

So far it doesn't look like any signage on the car remains - just another clue.

If someone else hasn't noticed it appears that it was possibly a GT350 originally

Quote from: Thomas on June 20, 2019, 01:36:33 PM
Found something interesting today from the old "US-30 Dragway" archives pictures.....There are a lot of similarities.

Well look for modifications of the rear wheel well. But it appears that the car in the picture still has its rear front wheel well panels in place not built like the pictures you showed back at the start of the thread
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Side-Oilers

If I'm reading the shoepolish on the windows correctly, that probably signifies an 11:30 dial-in on an automatic transmission car.  More clues.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Side-Oilers

Can't quite tell in that size of a scan, but is that a person's name and "built by" on the fender next to the Crane Cams logo?

Looks like might be "Larry" something.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

427heaven

Quote from: Thomas on June 20, 2019, 01:36:33 PM
Found something interesting today from the old "US-30 Dragway" archives pictures.....There are a lot of similarities.
I think you found it, the weird little rear fender flares. the same blue appears on the lower rear rocker panels, same wheels front and back and an ET of 11.30 would have been a good running small block powered car. ;)

gt350hr

Quote from: Side-Oilers on June 20, 2019, 01:42:15 PM
If I'm reading the shoepolish on the windows correctly, that probably signifies an 11:30 dial-in on an automatic transmission car.  More clues.

The letters are RT which we used to add when we wanted a reaction time on our time slips. The picture does appear to have a ton of similarities but is an earlier version as that picture still has A arm front suspension . That particular "spindle mount" American wheel came out in '69 so that means the pic is after that. It does not have the headers in the set of current pictures Thomas provided. 11.30 would have been very hard to do "at that time" with a small block , especially with the heavier weight vehicle. Nitrous wasn't adapted back then either. I believe it was big block powered at that time , but I can't tell from the photos. It does have a deep oil pan. My 52 year racing career began in '67 , and I still do. Some call me an expert , but I'm just old.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

Quote from: gt350hr on June 20, 2019, 06:25:15 PM
The letters are RT which we used to add when we wanted a reaction time on our time slips. ................

Know the answer would differ based on equipment and region of the country though Calif typically would be on the leading edge of the tech curve.

Randy when would have reaction times first been available and likely applied to cars?  Don't recall them from back in the day.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

427heaven

Trying to make out the name on the rear flank... Possibly the Alka hauler, if so might begin there. ;)

Thomas

Quote from: gt350hr on June 20, 2019, 06:25:15 PM
Quote from: Side-Oilers on June 20, 2019, 01:42:15 PM

The letters are RT which we used to add when we wanted a reaction time on our time slips. The picture does appear to have a ton of similarities but is an earlier version as that picture still has A arm front suspension . That particular "spindle mount" American wheel came out in '69 so that means the pic is after that. It does not have the headers in the set of current pictures Thomas provided. 11.30 would have been very hard to do "at that time" with a small block , especially with the heavier weight vehicle. Nitrous wasn't adapted back then either. I believe it was big block powered at that time , but I can't tell from the photos. It does have a deep oil pan. My 52 year racing career began in '67 , and I still do. Some call me an expert , but I'm just old.
    Randy

Unfortunately its not the same car. The car in the picture pulling the front up is a 1968 and it had a 427 Cammer in it. I was able to verify with the old owner. (his name is on the side of the car).

He did however turn me on to the company that made the fiberglass tilt front ends. (Fiberglass ltd in the  ILL area).
Although long out of business, I have a lead on a friend of the family who says that he can help.

Dizzy

I ran at US 30 in Gary,Indiana from '60's until it closed 1985. I really do not recall that particular car,but the "RT" designation was used for the "dial-in" class called "Run Tuff",later called "RTE" for Run Tuff Eliminator. 12.50 or faster e.t. Required. They also had the ET brackets that were designated "ET" and number for brackets 5-10. Try searching some old sponsors like White's Pit Stop (my sponsor) or King Speed shop,or Van Senus. Many old pictures are starting to show up on the web....

Thomas

Quote from: Dizzy on June 21, 2019, 08:00:42 AM
I ran at US 30 in Gary,Indiana from '60's until it closed 1985. I really do not recall that particular car,but the "RT" designation was used for the "dial-in" class called "Run Tuff",later called "RTE" for Run Tuff Eliminator. 12.50 or faster e.t. Required. They also had the ET brackets that were designated "ET" and number for brackets 5-10. Try searching some old sponsors like White's Pit Stop (my sponsor) or King Speed shop,or Van Senus. Many old pictures are starting to show up on the web....

I'll see what I can find. Thank you for the information!

gt350hr

Quote from: Dizzy on June 21, 2019, 08:00:42 AM

You are correct . After I posted , I was talking to a customer that used to work at Van Senus and he told me about the Run Tuff class designation. Thanks for the input.  Out here in Ca we used to add RT for reaction time or NT for no time announced or on the scoreboard In answer to Jeff's question, it was around '68 when we started getting reaction times at OCIR . I still have time slips from back then. Man was I "late" back then.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

You sir are correct about it being a 68 not a 67 which was my first reaction when I saw the pic...

roddster

Both Dizzy and gt350hr are correct.  "RT" was the designation for Run Tuff cars - the fastest offset starting class.  And yes, there is an annual US 30 reunion were former racers, cars and memorabilia show up.  Although I was a class winner a couple of times, I have never shown up at a reunion.  Gee, the 2 ft tall trophy and/or the $15.00 winnings were so-o-o-o good!

Dizzy

The Whites Pit Stop ,US 30 reunion is great. This year it is held at US 41 dragstrip July 5-7,2019. Lots of old iron and old racers. Go ahead,Google it.....US 41 Morocco ,Indiana. Great place with that down home feeling.

pmustang