News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby Buildings -Carter Ave.- 04/2022 1 NEW Pic - GT350 Production

Started by Szabo, June 19, 2019, 04:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

Quote from: Side-Oilers on June 24, 2019, 07:34:43 PM
Mud on the trunklid (circled) or??

Why would the top car on the left transport not have a rear window?  Broken in transit?  Future R-Model?

That doesn't look like mud on the lower trunk lid you circled. (Maybe an oil drip. It seems more likely, but from where?

I would guess the tractor trailer had to make a wide turn into the paved parking lot and drove over the dirt field next to it. That's where the mud on the pavement is likely from.

The first batch of 'R' models were delivered on April 10th 1965. That would seem to fit the Venice location. Very well could be the 'R's'
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Side-Oilers

Quote from: Richstang on June 24, 2019, 08:20:35 PM
Quote from: Side-Oilers on June 24, 2019, 07:33:15 PM
Barracuda (with single over-the-top stripe?) and Sting Ray.

Maybe a '65 Formula S Barracuda since it was November '64. Don't know if the stripe was an option in '64.

Hard to see what year the Corvette was. Lot of interesting cars in the parking lot and on Princeton Drive.

Maybe the Jag is a coincidence, maybe not.

Yep, would probably be a '65 S.  Unless someone painted the stripe on a '64.

Agreed we can't see enough of the Sting Ray to determine year.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Side-Oilers

Quote from: rhjanes on June 24, 2019, 08:19:31 PM
Quote from: Side-Oilers on June 24, 2019, 07:34:43 PM
Mud on the trunklid (circled) or??

Why would the top car on the left transport not have a rear window?  Broken in transit?  Future R-Model?
Some random thoughts.
Scroll up to where you see the photo of both transporters from the side and notice that almost all the cars on the left transporter, are lacking back glass, lacking rear air extractors, and bumpers.  While the one's on the transporter to the right, seem to have back glass, bumpers and the extractors.  Perhaps the one's on the left became R's? 
From reading about the ordering process for the 65/66's, things also evolved as the cars at SI evolved but also they learned more about what could and couldn't be done at the Ford plant.  More done at Fords line = faster out the door at SA.

Good eye on the cars on the left transporter not having those items. Might have been the specific reason for this photo...showing the differences in how they're arriving. 
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Side-Oilers

Took a closer look at the side shot of the two transporters that Szabo posted, and it looks like the cars on the left transporter also don't have FRONT bumpers.

That would seem to agree with the idea they were destined as R Models.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Side-Oilers on June 24, 2019, 09:18:39 PM
Took a closer look at the side shot of the two transporters that Szabo posted, and it looks like the cars on the left transporter also don't have FRONT bumpers.

That would seem to agree with the idea they were destined as R Models.

The cars without bumpers, no door guts and missing side vents would definitely be R models.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Side-Oilers

Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Szabo

Hello,

i just finished the next part of the Walk around from Carter Building ...

We walked from the Parking Lot (last post) to the aera right befor the known
Garages ( where Cobras and later GT350´s produced)

Always a place with lot of movment and Action i decided to take a photo
with less Cars but more engines ...   ;D

Next one is are 3 Pics from a brandnew Mustang Fastback 289 right befor the building ...

i am not sure about it but when i looked at the other Photos of the film
i see a lot of Detailpics were made from the Car...
(And so i guess maybe we see a very early Car from Ford for Shelby to even
make some thoughts about GT350 development)

another Notice and big surprise for me is looking behind the Stang in the
second Garage, there is a Wall between the 2 Garages  :o :o :o
and i see a Car parking in it (maybe this Peter Brock Falcon Delivery Van ??? )

this Wall between Garages was later removed when i make the inside Post from me

Next Step we are going to this 3rd Garage on the backside, a big secret
at this point of my closer Look of the Buildings ...

i have never see any pic of inside this Garage, in some Pics we can see
that the Garage is open but nothing to see inside ot them

Looking over the GT40

only Pic i found where a car is photo taken ist this coloured one from a Race Cobra

Now we go right behind this edge of the Backside to Frontside / Carter Avenue

some Photos from the Daytona Coupe after Painting we can expected,
i chose one from the GT40 Roadster Test Mule at Shelby American

you can see the Windows and the last section of the Brick Wall where is a little bit darker
also you can see the Lumber Yard (from the Richstangs drawing) with a lot of wood on it

on this Wall we can see on some Photos there are parking Cars and trailers
and this mystery Bus at the Grass
... and even this well known big Daytona Crash is happend right befor this wall

Notice at the right Corner behind this "Hot Rod Styled Car" (sorry i don´t know
the right term or what Car this is) there stand this mystery bus from the other Pic

So this was the walk around for today
in next step we going on the Frontside of Carter Building

Greets Steve / Szabo

P.S.: feel free to post any Photos for other Details from the Scenes i take
for the walkaround.

Richstang

Quote from: Szabo on June 25, 2019, 03:06:58 PM

another Notice and big surprise for me is looking behind the Stang in the
second Garage, there is a Wall between the 2 Garages  :o :o :o
and i see a Car parking in it (maybe this Peter Brock Falcon Delivery Van ??? )

this Wall between Garages was later removed when i make the inside Post from me

Greets Steve / Szabo

You've discovered another oddity. That wall in between the side by side garage doors is surprising!
We do not see it in the earlier Cobra photos (from the late 62-63 era) and we do not see it in the GT350 photos (from the early spring '65).
I'm baffled why they would add it and then remove it not long after it was put in.

The station wagon we see in the second garage area is a full size Ford Galaxie wagon. So it is not the Falcon delivery used by Pete Brock.

Side-Oilers

That station wagon in the shop looks like a '65 Country Sedan...and is very similar to the one seen in the photo of the Daytona that fell off the ramps.

Does that '65 Mustang fastback look like it's probably red, or blue?  I'm guessing red.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Szabo

For me it looks like Red too ...

but on Black and White Photos is it hard to find out

Szabo

Quote from: Richstang on June 25, 2019, 04:53:50 PM

You've discovered another oddity. That wall in between the side by side garage doors is surprising!
We do not see it in the earlier Cobra photos (from the late 62-63 era) and we do not see it in the GT350 photos (from the early spring '65).
I'm baffled why they would add it and then remove it not long after it was put in.

The station wagon we see in the second garage area is a full size Ford Galaxie wagon. So it is not the Falcon delivery used by Pete Brock.

Hmm, yeah i already thinked about to, make no logic sense  but maybe we have a little Time problem here...
Unfortnaly i dont came on all this Time when the Photos are taken... was it June 1965, or May 1963 or almost 1960,
for me it is just about the Buildings at the Moment...

But when i am right and this Mustang arrived as a "Test Object" then when this could happend ?
on April 17, 1964 the Mustang come up on the Market
but surley they are some pre production cars to bring it to Shelby

but when i read on http://1965gt350mustang.com/history.html
i came on struggle with all of this Datecodes ...

Only think i thougt: At which Datacode where the Cobra Pics in Shop made ?.
anyone who can describe when Cobra was produced at my postet pics ?

I am not sure at this moment, but i only saw inside pics from Cobraproduction on my posted pics,
and they are all taken at 1 Day ... same Cars at different points in the Shop

Maybe the Wall came out befor this Cobra pics are made, and later on the GT350s begin ...

Another Question i am struggle, when Production begins at Carter, and when on Princeton ?

... oh Lord, i am getting headache again  :o

Richstang

The hardtop and convertible were the only models built for the Mustang introduction in April 1964. The production of the fastback model did not start until late September and was introduced as a 1965 model. Based on the '1965GT350 Mustang' article it sounds like the poppy red(?) fastback showed up in Venice around August-September '64. It may have been a pilot car built, but I am not certain.

We don't know the exact dates but, the Cobra photos inside the Carter building appear to be much earlier, perhaps in 1962-63. We can see some photos of those Cobra's without the side vents. Certainly the layout of the work area was more spacious at the time. The '65 GT350s arrived very late in Venice history...I suspect in early '65.
The photo with the Mustang fastback appears to fall in somewhere in between those two time frames. That is why the wall in between the two garage doors is odd.

sfm5s081

I love looking at the old cars in the background. There is an oval window VW and an e type jag that I found. I think I remember hearing that the workers with corvettes had to park them out of sight from the boss ;)

Szabo

i loved it too... this VW Beetle Oval Window is often see in Princeton Pics and later in LAX ...
would be nice to know who drives what Car working for Shelby.