News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby Buildings -Carter Ave.- 04/2022 1 NEW Pic - GT350 Production

Started by Szabo, June 19, 2019, 04:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szabo

Hello,

so i am finished the last Side from the Carter Ave Building,
and it is the Front Side...

Like Richstang says it does not exist (at this Point of time) a Pic of the Hole Front side...

So i made my best and like to begin right after the last Edge and on the left Side from the Front Side

i learned that this is a King Cobra, because of the angel of the Pic we can look at the Princeton Drive to the Edege of the Paraglide Building

next Pic we see the First part of the Entrance to 3321

at the next Pic we have it coloured ( i loved this old coloured Pics )

this time with hole Entrance to 3321,
Funny Fact: it seems to be a "Open Door Day" at this point, we will see
that Fact in some other Pics coming

one of the most know Pics today

From the Book Shelby Cobra "The Shelby American Original Archives"
Question: maybe somone had this Book and can make me some Pics
from the content, Book ist from 1994
Some Pics we all know as Black/White is in the Book coloured,
and as i say, I still loved that. In Germany hard to find ...

this time with a GT350, notice first window of the Goodyear Section of
the Building.

next Pic shows the hole Goodyear Section between 3321 to 3219 Carter Ave.
Again coloured
Note: the first Windows seems not to have a Glass front, it is closed and
just seems to be a Window to match with the real Glass Window to the next

Probaly the best Pic for a hole Shoot directly from Carter Ave.

a secton shoot from the Pic befor we can see that 3219 and 3217 are both
Shelby American Section ...
For a higher Res of the Section please go to the Henry Ford Site
and enlarge the Pic, i just tryed a several time for better result, but
when i downloaded and reloadet it comes always unshaped

After 3217 the Building goes still on at the right side, but no photos with Cars
are known...
the only shoot from 3321 was a mistake, but we can see there is another
Brick Wall section with a Window Frame, then they comes a Wall from
the next Building (the Living House area right behind Shelby Carter Building)

So what you thing about the rework for the hole front side ...
and even the hole Walk Around of Carter Building thing

I am still struggle when Shelby produced Cars at the Building,
it is right from 62 with Cobras and to 64 with 1.st Daytona Coupe see in the Paint Booth
and of course the first 1965 GT350

I hope you enjoyed the hole Walk around thing, i will soon
start with Princenton Drive 1042 Building on a new thread

Would be nice to see some answers ...

Greets

Steve from Germany

P.S.: would love to see a good Drawing from the hole Side like the
modelcar Factory "Greenlight" sometimes do when offers ne Buildings,
but i am to noobed for something good as this....

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

Szabo

Good Question...

Carter Avenue as seen on the Pics are not exist in this Form anymore...

The hole Area is now with Living Houses, i looked at google Earth for this quick overview.

I am not sure about the Carter Building was stand like i drawing, must look at the Friedmann Pics for right
behind the Brick Wall ... i guess there were some Details

but maybe another Member (Richstang) can help me little bit befor i looked Hours for some Details

Side-Oilers

Thanks Szabo & Richstang, once again for all the info.   I am still searching for my lost Princeton photos.

No one swimming in the pool of the new buildings on Carter Ave ever would suspect that they are swimming on the exact spot of Cobra production!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Richstang

The red outline square that Stephan 'Szabo' drew is just about as close as correct you can get from that orthographic viewpoint.
It's too bad they knocked it down, but at least the 1042 Princeton building (and the 1038-1040 building) are both still there.
With recent renovation to both of them they should be there for a while.

It looks like the cinderblock wall is still there on the small house properties with another stucco wall in front of it on the condo / apartment property.
The grassy area in between them was very likely required by code for emergency access behind the gigantic complex.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Szabo

Thanks for confirmation on my drawing ...
i saw it at a praise from an Expert.

Boy a week or so befor this Point i had no clue from the hole things like they stand together.

My Wife thinks i am nuts at all to spend so much time in these Pics and story but
i learned a lot and even speaks and think in Englisch conversation puts me forward....

Glad to have these input from Forum

Greets

Steve

Side-Oilers

That entire neighborhood around Carter/Princeton is going to be changed even more in the coming years. 

It is technically located all in Los Angeles, and backs up to Marina del Rey, which is also part of LA.  Venice is a part of Los Angeles too, not a separate city.

There is a nearby area now called Playa Vista (where the old Hughes Aircraft Company was located, in Culver City) to the south that's the "new Silicon Valley," nicknamed "Silicon Beach." Meaning lots and lots of people moving in to serve the newly built Google, Amazon, Apple, HBO etc., buildings.  Google is located inside the massive 300,000 sq/ft hangar where Howard Hughes's "Spruce Goose" was built.

Many of the normal family houses like those backed up to Carter, and like the ones I lived in as a kid in nearby Culver City, are $1million dollars.  Crazy.

We are fortunate that the Princeton buildings have been renovated instead of torn down. Hope it stays that way.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Szabo

So i finished with Inside and Outside of Carter Building
i would be pleased if you guys form the Forum
just push some Pics into the Thread ...

with every Pic and Detials we will learned more about
Carter Building...

i just will startet with these 3 Pics.

between Edge and first Entrance to 3221, these Pic was made..

New Pic

Cobra with Engine Pic, the Cobra doesn`t stand at the point befor, but when i look on the Wall still
at Carter Frontside ... but where could this be ?

and also another Pic from GT350 befor Carter at 3321 (was this the 1st GT350 produced)

The Third will be the most unkown GT350 to me at this point

We see the street from Backside to Frontside, befor the Lumberjack / Wood Aera
and we see the Brick Wall with darker Front Aera and lower Window
for sure, it is Carter Building

what i know about the GT350 we see, it looks like a Prototype of GT350 with the large Filler Cap,
R-Model Backside Window ...

What you think, share your thougt about that and these ...

Richstang

Steve,

You keep busy! Your second photo of the Cobra with the engine stand was likely taken in between 3221 and 3219. It the picture was a little bit higher up we would likely see that Goodyear logo in the window. I don't think there is enough space on the side of 3217 for it to have been taken there.

Yes, the white car (no lemans stripes) in the rear view photo was one of the two prototypes. That one was the competition model. Here's a few other photos of it including one with a different side stripe, and different front valance openings, of coarse both never made it into production. These all appear to have photographed on the side of the Carter Ave building as you suggested.

Szabo

Quote from: Richstang on June 27, 2019, 09:18:28 PM
Steve,

You keep busy! Your second photo of the Cobra with the engine stand was likely taken in between 3221 and 3219. It the picture was a little bit higher up we would likely see that Goodyear logo in the window. I don't think there is enough space on the side of 3217 for it to have been taken there.

Hey, thanks for your thougts, i looked also at this Pic for a long time..

First different Details is on the cobra, one my first 2 Pics there is one Signature on the Hardtop,
its from the Driver ... Jere Kirkpatrick

on the "Engine" Pic there are more Signature, unfortanally i cant explain what they stand,
maybe more drivers, the race team members or the victories...

second Different Details are the position befor Carter Building

first lets the Pic from 3221 like we see it on from firs Pic
and you are right, right after 3221 comes the first "Goodyear" Window ..

BUT, look at the Stones right after the Entrance of 3221, they are Stones with plants in it ...
on my last pic dont so...

the only Spot where no Plants in Stones was were befor 3321 or even after 3217 to the end of the left side,

when you look of that mistake Pic, and i know this is very little shown, i see this Details after 3217 ...

So i suppose the second (later) Pic stands behind 3217, and for this Point in my Resach it would be the only Pic i have after 3217 ...
but that could also be a Wrong way suggestion...

What do you think ???

Szabo

Second Post is a little bit easier to clear at this "Dragonsnake" Location...

at this Point we even have not seen in the Frontside of Carter Avenue... i see some Office Pics and first i dont
notice this very much ...
meanwhile i overthought this and do some flowing images, if this Term is right...

Our standpoint at this is in a Office from Carter Avenue, we start from the left corner and slide to the right ...

this is a "Mistake" Pic but when you overlay ist with the next you see all this little things on the Tabel,
but al little bit other than on the Pic befor... i proofed it about 10 Times, i must be the same office maybe on a
different time because Cars are not the same ...

we see a large Window in the middle in the Room, befor there ist the front parking lot for visitors and behind this
you will see this Lumber Jack Place right over the street from Carter Ave.

second one of this Center Window Pic is much better for Detail work and so we see a Thunderbird ? stay befor
and the most notible Details are this Pics of the Section Wall at the right Corner of the Office

next pic is showing area behind the inner door of the section wall, same Woman as befor ... litte fun action with a Manager Person or so...
notice the Pics on the Wall again

same Wall, same Pics but we see a little bit more of the room to corner from Wall 2 to 3 (Backside Wall from Center Window)

last pic is still the corner, we see some more Pic after the Corner

i found even more office pics but i am not sure if this is Carter or Princeton and so i have to decided to show
but not to located where it is exactly...

This will be the End of my Carter Ave. Resarch, do you have even some more pics from Carter
to keep the Thread alive...

Side-Oilers

Yes, 1964 Thunderbird visible out the office window. I like the wheels.  Chrome reverse?
Also note the fender skirts have been removed, ala the 1962-63 Sports Roadsters.

These "mistake" photos are often among the most interesting shots on a roll...and are usually just the one or two frames you burn when starting a new roll.

Gotta love the old days of secretaries and men just having good clean fun in the office.  And the cigarettes going most of the time. 

Can anyone make out the titles of the magazines sitting on the desk of the blonde woman on the phone (the last photo in this group)? Looks like might be car mags, but I can't read the titles.  The one on the left appears to say "'64 CARS" on the cover.  It looks like an illustration from a Motor Trend issue that I remember.  Maybe used here in a Petersen Publishing specialty publication (annual) about the 1964 cars.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Richstang

Quote from: Szabo on June 30, 2019, 03:14:01 PM
Quote from: Richstang on June 27, 2019, 09:18:28 PM
Steve,

Hey, thanks for your thougts, i looked also at this Pic for a long time..

First different Details is on the cobra, one my first 2 Pics there is one Signature on the Hardtop,
its from the Driver ... Jere Kirkpatrick

on the "Engine" Pic there are more Signature, unfortanally i cant explain what they stand,
maybe more drivers, the race team members or the victories...

second Different Details are the position befor Carter Building

first lets the Pic from 3221 like we see it on from firs Pic
and you are right, right after 3221 comes the first "Goodyear" Window ..

BUT, look at the Stones right after the Entrance of 3221, they are Stones with plants in it ...
on my last pic dont so...

So I suppose the second (later) Pic stands behind 3217, and for this Point in my Research it would be the only Pic I have after 3217 ...
but that could also be a Wrong way suggestion...

What do you think ???

Steve, you are correct.
This photo of this DragonSnake (CSX2357) with the engine on the stand is definitely to the right side of the entrance of 3217 Carter Ave.
Without the short stonewall border for the plants, that could only be at the right corner of the building.
Finally we have a photo from this side of the building! Well Done!!

Here is a the same photo (in color) used for the cover of this magazine.
Looking through my Cobra photo files, there are no other photos that show the additional names added to the hardtop roof.

However this magazine website shows that this issue does have another photo of the  car with all the added names. Maybe some who reads this will have a copy of this issue and posted a photo for us all.   http://www.shelbyford.com/magazines.html

Side-Oilers

Great to see that photo in color!  Nice find!

Hey, I know that guy who wrote the Jan 1995 Motor Trend "Secret Shelbys" article shown in the link.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Szabo

Amazing Rework on the "Dragonsnake with Engine" Pic ... love the Coloured ones ...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

so you conirmed my suggestion i will this add to the Main Thread to have an overall view from Frontside