News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ford vs John Cena - Ford GT

Started by Shelby_r_b, February 14, 2018, 05:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

The news first broke on the old site that Ford was suing John Cena for flipping his new Ford GT after purchasing it and, apparently, disregarding Ford's 24 month "no resale" clause.

Well, apparently Mr. Cena is firing back...sort of...

http://www.tmz.com/2018/02/13/john-cena-ford-gt-supercar-lawsuit/
Nothing beats a classic!

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Richstang

If the contract lacks the 24 month no sale clause this could have a snowball effect beyond Cena.
:o
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Richstang on February 14, 2018, 07:40:41 PM
If the contract lacks the 24 month no sale clause this could have a snowball effect beyond Cena.
:o
I'll bet the original application contained the 24 month clause and somewhere in the contract is something referring to acceptance of original application to purchase. Ford pays their lawyers too much money to screw up like this. However if they did there will be a lot of $500-700,000 GTs on the market.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Don Johnston

If the clause is not in the contract agreement, there are going to be a lot of lawyers/law firms no longer of Ford retainer.

Shelby_r_b

Truly, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.  I'm certain that Ford is wanting to make an example of John Cena and what NOT to do with you allocation.

I've heard rumors from people in the know, and John more than doubled his money by flipping the car.   8)
Nothing beats a classic!

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on February 14, 2018, 11:38:22 PM

I've heard rumors from people in the know, and John more than doubled his money by flipping the car.   8)

I read somewhere he sold for $2M

He is worth something like $20M. Did he need the money?

Did he really need the allocation that someone else might have seriously wanted?

KerryBWhite

John Cena, just another celebrity who thinks he is above the law. Ford surely didn't leave the 24 month, none flip clause out of any contract for the FORD GT.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1115314_john-cena-asking-judge-to-dismiss-ford-gt-lawsuit

Ford's lawsuit, obtained by Motor Authority and filed in the U.S. District Court in Eastern Michigan, offers three documents as proof of the initial agreement: the Ford GT Application Program Terms and Conditions; an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release that Cena signed and notarized on July 29, 2016; and the Ford GT Order Confirmation that he completed on January 28, 2017. The Ford GT Order Confirmation contract includes language stating that the buyer agrees not to sell the vehicle within the first 24 months of delivery, as you can see here:

Ford GT flipping agreementFord GT flipping agreement
Cena's signature is located at the bottom of the page, along with the date of 1/28/17. A deposit for half of the sale price, or $230,000 was then due by 2/1/2017 or the build date would be delayed.

mark p

very interesting... need some popcorn. The lawyers will be cleaning up $$$
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

deathsled

Disloyal. Ford is not only a brand, they are a living, breathing family. If I promised Ford not to flip the car for two years I would not flip it. Besides, I'd rather live in a cardboard box than flip that car anyway.
Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

shelbydoug

I would take a wild guess and say that I'll bet 'ya that more then one has "changed hands". Like who wouldn't want one (presuming they could afford it) and who could resist others offering to stuff money into your pockets?

I think that there just needs to be an agreement to not openly violate the "purchase agreement"?

Is Ford going to try to take the car back now?

Maybe this is all Ford's fault anyway? They could have issued the title with a lien on it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Alan

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 16, 2018, 03:13:11 PM
I would take a wild guess and say that I'll bet 'ya that more then one has "changed hands". Like who wouldn't want one (presuming they could afford it) and who could resist others offering to stuff money into your pockets?

I think that there just needs to be an agreement to not openly violate the "purchase agreement"?

Is Ford going to try to take the car back now?

Maybe this is all Ford's fault anyway? They could have issued the title with a lien on it?

The best succinct solution!

Max
'67    0029

Don Johnston

I suspect that there are a good number of insider deals with owners who have made legal arrangements, for a nominal fee, or something phenomenal, to transfer ownership to another party after 24 months.  Also, watch the auctions in two years.  In addition (pun intended), production is way behind schedule so future resale numbers will be insane if the previous Ford GT program is any indicator.

Vernon Estes

Quote from: 2112 on February 15, 2018, 01:09:02 AM
Quote from: Shelby_0022 on February 14, 2018, 11:38:22 PM

I read somewhere he sold for $2M

He is worth something like $20M. Did he need the money?

Did he really need the allocation that someone else might have seriously wanted?

Without going too far out of my way to talk about something that I have no first hand knowledge of..

I had heard from a friend that Cena actually sold the car for $1m. The next guy supposedly sold it for $2m. Have no way or verifying the story and personally I dont care, but figured it was worth throwing out there. 

And I can vouch for the fact that the current market value for one of the FGTs is $2m+, at least it was before the Cena thing went public as I had acquaintances who had been offered that much for their cars. (and said no, with no intention of selling in the first place) Now, I'm sure, some people who might have considered selling their car before are too freaked out to do so after seeing that Ford is willing to go after those who do.

Whether or not that sort of market value lasts all the way through the 24 month "no sale" period, I sort of doubt it. I think its a super amazing car..but those sorts of offers are likely coming from some of these guys that just collect the "latest" supercar and have unlimited resources to buy all the various "Hyper cars" which routinely now retail for 2-3-4M+, depending on the car. They were told no for the first time in their life by FoMoCo. Once there are 1000 new FGTs out there, the appeal might dim a bit in the eyes of those sorts of guys although I bet they are still worth more than their original MSRP by a good margin.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Don Johnston

There have been past reports of Cena being in financial difficulty and not paying lots of bills despite making multi-millions, which had led to the sale of the GT.   8)