News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

cleaning sockets for tail lights

Started by RSOHC, June 20, 2019, 01:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSOHC

I have poor grounds at each of the 6 tail light sockets.  What is the procedure for getting to the back side of the sockets?  I believe that I need to clean the sockets with steel wool or perhaps add some grounding wires to each of the sockets.  From the inside of the trunk it looks like the panel is welded in place and I can see the pointed end of some screws.  I currently have the lenses removed and don't know the next step.   

Lauran

Coralsnake

The fiberglas panel needs to come off to access the housings and wiring

JWH

Make sure to steel wool both the socket itself AND the socket hole in the housing where the socket plugs in. If my memory is working, there are ground wires that run from the tail light housing to the body of the car. Check those and make sure they are in good condition, clean and tightly connected. Using steel wool on the sockets and housing and cleaning the ground wire to the body eliminated my tail light gremlins. Oh, and while you have it apart, it would be a good time to pop in new tail light bulbs if you would like.
Jeff

RSOHC

does the bumper need to come off to access the fasteners for the fiberglass panel?

Coralsnake

Ah yes, you stand on the top of the "slippery slope

:D"

mr68shelby

And there is a "Light Socket Brush Kit" for cleaning inside the sockets themselves. IPA Tools #8086. I think they are around $20 online. Easier than trying to get into the sockets with sandpaper or steel wool for me. Mike

JWH

Here is a picture I took while working on the tail lights of the wire that grounds the housing to the body. The connector probably is not original or correct, but wanted to make sure you know this ground wire needs to be on your car and what to look for.
Jeff

TedS

Quote from: mr68shelby on June 21, 2019, 12:29:45 AM
And there is a "Light Socket Brush Kit" for cleaning inside the sockets themselves. IPA Tools #8086. I think they are around $20 online. Easier than trying to get into the sockets with sandpaper or steel wool for me. Mike

Thanks Mike. I've been wondering if there was,something like this. I found them on Amazon and Ebay.

Ted

CharlesTurner

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

roddster

Rather than steel wool, I'd try a stainless steel wire brush.  Less mess and no weird loose steel wool getting in the wrong place.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: roddster on June 21, 2019, 12:20:37 PM
  Rather than steel wool, I'd try a stainless steel wire brush.  Less mess and no weird loose steel wool getting in the wrong place.
Or a scotchbrite pad. You can wrap it around a 1/4" dowel and use a drill to clean them fast and easy.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

RSOHC

I have purchased a pair of reproduction tail light pig tails.  Included are 6 copper washers.  Does anyone know how the copper washers are meant to be installed.  I have tried installing them on the back side of the metal tail light buckets and three of the six sockets do not stay in place when installing the 1157 light bulbs.  Do I need to replace the metal tail light buckets?

Lauran

Coralsnake

I asked the manufacturer to create these several years ago.

Please know they are not oem parts. Many sockets are loose in the housings. This it makes it very difficult to change a bulb if needed and if you push the socket out, you get to disassemble the entire rear of the car...

So, the ring pushes onto the socket from the reflector side. The small teeth will hold the socket tight, thus eliminating floppy socket syndrome. A deep well socket works well, while holding the socket from the back.

RSOHC

What are some ways of connecting a ground wire to each of the six light sockets?  Perhaps some brass shim stock soldered to the wire and then placing the shim stock between the light bulb socket and the steel tail light housing?

Lauran

RSOHC

The new wiring assembly is installed with copper washers and no extra ground wires. 

(1) When I turn on the left blinker, there is weak sequential lighting of the three left tail lights and the 3 right tail lights come on weak without sequencing.

(2) When I turn on the right blinker, there is weak sequential lighting of the three right tail lights and the 3 left tail light come on weak without sequencing.

(3) When the high and low beam tail lights are on, all 6 tail lights are on and are strong.

(4) When the emergency flasher is on , all 6 tail lights are on and are weak. 

Do I need to install the old dynamite sticks or the ground wires connecting the screws in the steel tail light piece?

Lauran