News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Splicing 67 Shelby Taillight Harnesses

Started by Shelby_r_b, June 20, 2019, 06:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

I'm trying to see how the 67 Shelby taillight harnesses on each side were spliced into the original 67 Mustang wiring harness. I looked through the Branda book and didn't see a diagram.

Side note: I have new 67 Shelby rear taillight harnesses (the green and black wires) with new sockets installed. And, I have a new main harness (if needed) - the one that connects under the dash and goes to the rear for the fuel sender, license plate light, etc.

Should these be spliced via the blue connectors? Or, do the connectors depend on the date of production?

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I could use some help.

Thanks! 
Nothing beats a classic!

roddster

Some say that there was a clear butt splice used that had a blue line through it (not around it)  depending on when the car was made date wise.  The splicing was at the left side, up where the wire loom made the bend along the back of the car, roughly behind the extention.  This is on the original Mustang wiring into the 1)added by Shelby American wiring or 2) when ever they started getting something from a vendor, likely the Cougar supplier on the later cars.
  Those butt slices are hard to find.  I have never bumped into any.  Solid blue splices have been acceptable.
  But, on the early cars, there were multiple - across the tail light mounting, double wires into a single butt splice.  Difficult but not impossible to do.  Just practice on some spare wire.
  And, I don't have a photo, but there were 3 different ways the tail light socket wiring was done: Early loose wire, and then 2 different ways the later cars were done.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: JWH on June 21, 2019, 12:04:25 PM
I had to re-do the tail light wiring on my car (#885 with January SAI build date) and did a ton of research on the SAAC 1.0 site before the crash. I soldered the wires together and used shrink wrap over the solder. No blue connectors in the trunk. Hopefully one of the '67 judges will confirm I am telling you the correct way to connect the wiring. I am happy to send pics this weekend if that helps.
Jeff
The way SA did it was using a butt connected to tie the Shelby harness into the Mustang taillight harness. Early was solid blue and later clear with blue line . They also wrapped a piece of black electrical tap around the connection. The way SA did it is one way and the way we expect to see it in concours competition. There are many other ways some better some worse to do it. FYI Bossbill on this forum sells the clear with blue stripe connectors if needed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

Quote from: roddster on June 21, 2019, 12:12:30 PM
  Some say that there was a clear butt splice used that had a blue line through it (not around it)  depending on when the car was made date wise.  The splicing was at the left side, up where the wire loom made the bend along the back of the car, roughly behind the extention.  This is on the original Mustang wiring into the 1)added by Shelby American wiring or 2) when ever they started getting something from a vendor, likely the Cougar supplier on the later cars.
  Those butt slices are hard to find.  I have never bumped into any.  Solid blue splices have been acceptable.
  But, on the early cars, there were multiple - across the tail light mounting, double wires into a single butt splice.  Difficult but not impossible to do.  Just practice on some spare wire.
  And, I don't have a photo, but there were 3 different ways the tail light socket wiring was done: Early loose wire, and then 2 different ways the later cars were done.

Here's one...
Loose wires, sheathed and tape wrapped
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on June 20, 2019, 06:59:49 PM
I'm trying to see how the 67 Shelby taillight harnesses on each side were spliced into the original 67 Mustang wiring harness. I looked through the Branda book and didn't see a diagram.

Side note: I have new 67 Shelby rear taillight harnesses (the green and black wires) with new sockets installed. And, I have a new main harness (if needed) - the one that connects under the dash and goes to the rear for the fuel sender, license plate light, etc.

Should these be spliced via the blue connectors? Or, do the connectors depend on the date of production?

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I could use some help.

Thanks!
The repro style is the later wrapped style which is correct for your car however the wiring is different when compared to original. If you don't have anything then the repro is one alternative. you can make them up using the parts (wire and plugs ) like SA did is another alternative. The originals are best to reuse unless they are too badly damaged or can't be repaired. I have repaired so pretty nasty ones.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 21, 2019, 01:18:01 PM
The way SA did it was using a butt connected to tie the Shelby harness into the Mustang taillight harness. Early was solid blue and later clear with blue line . They also wrapped a piece of black electrical tap around the connection. The way SA did it is one way and the way we expect to see it in concours competition. There are many other ways some better some worse to do it. FYI Bossbill on this forum sells the clear with blue stripe connectors if needed.

image...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bossbill

If you can see ads in the concoursmustang.com for sale section:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19445.msg122925#msg122925
It explains how to order the clear, blue line connectors ... For my cost.

I suppose I should post my for sale stuff here too ...
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx