Author Topic: Chromate--yellow--[gold]  (Read 4578 times)

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
Chromate--yellow--[gold]
« on: June 22, 2019, 02:17:49 AM »
Hi---is there in existence compiled list of parts and or hardware that received Zinc diechromate treatment in either color--Thanks----car in question is 69-SHELBY

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Chromate--yellow--[gold]
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 02:39:47 AM »
Hi---is there in existence compiled list of parts and or hardware that received Zinc diechromate treatment in either color--Thanks----car in question is 69-SHELBY
Sorry no such list exists yet.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 04:34:48 AM »
one way to start is to get the assy manuals for 1969. Then get the AMK book "guide to Ford fasteners". While not 100 percent fool proof it is pretty close on what Ford calls out in assy manuals finishes. Sometimes you may see a variance of coatings. Also when taking bolts off look at the mating parts. Will pretty much tell you how it was plated. Also I have found things that are electrical seem to be zinc Dych like the wiper motor ground to cowl. Starter solenoid nuts. I found a few variances when tearing apart my Shelby to the Osborne assy manuals and my car was NEVER apart before I did it. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 11:39:57 AM »
one way to start is to get the assy manuals for 1969. Then get the AMK book "guide to Ford fasteners". While not 100 percent fool proof it is pretty close on what Ford calls out in assy manuals finishes. Sometimes you may see a variance of coatings. Also when taking bolts off look at the mating parts. Will pretty much tell you how it was plated. Also I have found things that are electrical seem to be zinc Dych like the wiper motor ground to cowl. Starter solenoid nuts. I found a few variances when tearing apart my Shelby to the Osborne assy manuals and my car was NEVER apart before I did it. Gary
S36 is the designation for Zinc Dichromate gold that will come after the series of numbers that represent the fashioner used in the assembly manual illustration. Yes electrical fashioners were typically gold in 69/70
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 05:16:40 PM »
Thank you--eventually I will try to compose list to help others that my face same dilemma, the only question is, is it realy practical.       Same with my car it has never been restored and I have no intention ever doing and I guess due to my job every time something can posibly be in error she goes on hoist for treatment . My calls that OCD. Thanks again .
Not really needed IMO given the assemblyline manuals have illustrations identifying which item for the most part and call out the parts need to be the zinc dichromate. At least for the fashioners. There are some other items like park light housings ,kick down rods etc. that aren't identified in that way in the manuals but they are in the minority.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 05:18:32 PM »
Thank you--eventually I will try to compose list to help others that my face same dilemma, the only question is, is it realy practical.     ....

Not sure if the word "practical " is one I would try and apply instead maybe "worth it" or "rewarding" so of course these have can only be answered by the person putting in the effort and at or towards the end of the effort. Just about everything we know and have started with a need and often with one or more peoples effort with little thought of it it was going to be worth the effort though in the long run many can benefit from the effort, time and results.

In a era where everyone wants things to be given or available on a platter these individuals are the engine that keeps things moving forward in this hobby, other hobbies and other things.  :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 11:33:02 PM »
John no comment  in the last sentence, in my response was directed to you or your efforts related to your practices and project.  Not sure where the "dumb" came from but in any case your comments are in direct response to my post I apologize if you took it that way. Guess my very poor choice of using "everyone" rather then "many" was a poor choice.

The first group of sentences only reflects on how such lists get started and often established helping the hobby in the long run.

"We" are all learning  - hopefully - Daily in many ways and as opportunities present themselves or we seek them out.

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:40:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 07:09:00 AM »
John, I will say that Jeff's "concoursmustangforum" is a really cool and informative site. So much info I have gotten "lost" looking for certain areas in my limited free time. I commend Jeff for starting that site and also sharing his wealth of information and photos so we all can be more knowledgeable on these cars. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 08:58:03 AM »
In my case I spent (spend) a few hours most days reading current and past posts and making mental as well as written notes ftom this forum as well as concours mustang forum instead of watching tv. It is a good relaxing way to unwind after a long day of work. I did this for a couple of years (I still do) before starting the restoration of my 69 Shelby and it paid off. Granted a lot of info was lost in the crash but a lot is still available plus a lot of the original contributors are still around. I know Jeff wouldn't say anything he thought was offensive but I feel pretty sure he sometimes gets tired of answering the same questions over and over (the search feature usually works)but I for one want to thank him and the others (you know who you are) for all the answers they provide.   :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 09:27:15 AM »
Very well said, and I could not agree more.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 11:05:45 AM »
  One observation from a guy older than Jeff. Gold chromate finish is appearing on parts that were not that color "in the day".. Whitek clamps are an example I see often with gold chromate that were natural zinc plated off the assembly line. Many carburetor parts are being done in gold that were black oxide or natural zinc originally.  Jeff has done an incredible job of photo documenting THOUSANDS of parts and the original finishes where I just kept them in my head ( photographic memory).
   The Mater Parts Catalog can be helpful on finishes on metal parts, The most important thing is to be SURE of what you need/want , before you plate. Just like under hood stickers , many times they are "overdone".  Restorations are taking on more of a "cloned" look  to one seen in a magazine when in reality they were random with  variances.  I agree it has to be tough for anyone less than 50 to do a restoration as many cars were "personalized" before they were born
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 04:18:52 PM »
Randy: I earned my first Concours Gold when I was 27 and my first Thoroughbred Gold at 39.  If someone is willing to put in the time, learn the cars/parts, go to the shows, do restorations, it will pay off.  Getting involved in judging will accelerate the learning curve.  This has always been a hobby for me also, I've had a regular full-time job/family/kids and other competing priorities.

I've learned a lot about patience from Jeff.  In today's world, folks want information and they want it now, at their fingertips whenever they do a google search.  Just the way it is.  We've been saying for years there isn't an easy button when it comes to restorations.  One of the goals of creating sites like concoursmustang.com was to help capture as much information as possible so that it would be useful for searching later.  The site has been online for just about 10 years, so hopefully others have found it useful and maybe a little entertaining.   ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:18:03 PM by CharlesTurner »
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »
  I couldn't agree more. If concoursemustang was around 40 years ago the road would be allot smoother than it is now. SO many self claimed experts have twisted things around these days which makes it difficult for many including the up and comers to get things right.  I admire those who take the concours path. The dedication , time and money required is incredible. Attending some judged events does wonders in increasing awareness of what and what not to do. I chose the racing path with my '66 but kept keenly aware that the future owner might want to "return to stock".
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 06:41:29 AM »
  I couldn't agree more. If concoursemustang was around 40 years ago the road would be allot smoother than it is now. SO many self claimed experts have twisted things around these days which makes it difficult for many including the up and comers to get things right.  I admire those who take the concours path. The dedication , time and money required is incredible. Attending some judged events does wonders in increasing awareness of what and what not to do. I chose the racing path with my '66 but kept keenly aware that the future owner might want to "return to stock".
    Randy
While I have won Concours gold in MCA the first time out with my vert I'm sure these days it isn't up to par for gold in SAAC. I took some liberties on my car like white stripes and such and don't mind the point deduction or the "smooth" paint but what I always strive for is correctness on how the car was assembled and keeping it as original as possible in that way. At the end of the day it is my car and I'll take the points deduction knowing full well how to get those points in the future if I want them. I also have put away concours parts as I drive my car now like my newly acquired 400 fuel pump from Fred Ballard. I also learned some new things watching Randy Sizemore's car being judged at the Spring Fling so I need to up my game at going to SAAC shows.  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 11:28:09 AM »
Hi----Years back I bought 1970 Challenger 440 6 pack  4 on the floor---I had put on different stripes and all kind of trinkets--other owners just loved it and start doing same, very soon it became norm and when car was sold new owner convinced himself that , that was factory installed , even though I made clear it is after market. when I try to establish what die chromating is correct for Shelby , I am just trying to avoid same confussion. Randy is the best answer so far as how cars end up display item created by strive to be the nicest. Thanks RANDY