Author Topic: Shelby Buildings - Princeton Drive 1042 - Inside:Part 4 all come together  (Read 1507 times)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981
    • View Profile
Rich, great finds!!

My question on the different type/finish of bricks is that it doesn't make sense to me why that "newer looking" part of that wall would've been original.
What could've they been doing...if not adding the second story?  Something else that simply added that several feet of area to the front of the building?

Or, maybe the builder simply ran out of Brick Type 1 and had to switch to Brick Type 2 during the initial construction. 

But, if you look closely at the parting line between the two types, even the mortar and brick alignment is not the same. 

So, that still has me thinking it's a later add-on.  But, yes, as you have shown, the building was that way when it was very new and leased to Reventlow.

Did you ever find out who the owner(s) of the Princeton and Carter buildings were?  I'm betting it was the same person/company/builder.   Especially with Carter having the similar front bricks evidence...which probably eliminates the Brick Type 1 and Type 2 idea at Princeton.

I am thinking that the change in bricks went with changing the buildings from being merely warehouses into warehouses with offices on the ground floor and a second story.  And yes, even doing so in the one year time period since they were initially constructed.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:11:04 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
1968 GT500KR owner since 1982
Kirkham Cobra 427

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981
    • View Profile
OK, here's my photo findings for today:

Thanks to HistoricAerials.com, you can search a bunch of old aerial photos pertaining to a property's address. 

Here are four time-period looks at Princeton and Carter streets:  1952, '63, '72 and 2014.

1952, '63 and '72 were the only three images from that early era.

(These are the free viewing resolutions/watermarks. You can purchase better quality and no watermark pix from them. Possibly get a closer look at the vehicles around the buildings in 1963.)

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 09:15:23 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
1968 GT500KR owner since 1982
Kirkham Cobra 427

Richstang

• View Profile
Rich, great finds!!

My question on the different type/finish of bricks is that it doesn't make sense to me why that "newer looking" part of that wall would've been original.
What could've they been doing...if not adding the second story?  Something else that simply added that several feet of area to the front of the building?

Or, maybe the builder simply ran out of Brick Type 1 and had to switch to Brick Type 2 during the initial construction. 

But, if you look closely at the parting line between the two types, even the mortar and brick alignment is not the same. 

So, that still has me thinking it's a later add-on.  But, yes, as you have shown, the building was that way when it was very new and leased to Reventlow.

Did you ever find out who the owner(s) of the Princeton and Carter buildings were?  I'm betting it was the same person/company/builder.   Especially with Carter having the similar front bricks evidence...which probably eliminates the Brick Type 1 and Type 2 idea at Princeton.

I am thinking that the change in bricks went with changing the buildings from being merely warehouses into warehouses with offices on the ground floor and a second story.  And yes, even doing so in the one year time period since they were initially constructed.

Yes, I agree it seems unusual. They seem to use that same finished style of brick, with the cleaner pointed mortar at both Princeton buildings and on the Carter building for just the fašade. I cant tell if they did the same with the building across the street from Princeton (behind the Carter building). The brick/mortar style change seems purposeful more than an accident such as running short on bricks. I got the impression that CS was the first person to rent/lease the Carter Avenue building. I don't really know where to look for the original builder. Nothing has shown up in any searches.

Richstang

• View Profile
OK, here's my photo findings for today:

Thanks to HistoricAerials.com, you can search a bunch of old aerial photos pertaining to a property's address. 
Here are four time-period looks at Princeton and Carter streets:  1952, '63, '72 and 2014.
1952, '63 and '72 were the only three images from that early era.
(These are the free viewing resolutions/watermarks. You can purchase better quality and no watermark pix from them. Possibly get a closer look at the vehicles around the buildings in 1963.)
Thoughts?

Nice find! That's a really neat website. We can see the Carter building was there in '63.
It is impossible for me to see what the cars are in the photos, but 1042 Princeton certainly has lot going on in the back parking lot. 
-Looking at the website, it appears the Carter building was still there until 2009!

Szabo

• View Profile
Hey,

very nice input in this thread ...

i can┤t say anything to this Brick Wall discussion ... but on my logical sense i would say that
there was a modification with add some space or make a stairwall to office section...

for the HistoricAerials Link i would like to say thank you very much...

for Princenton we already have this Bird View because the Building standing
but for Carter this one was new

I agree, on 63 there was some Action in the parking lot, but there was work to do :-D

I look again to some Pics to found out where some modification on the Inside
was maybe made...

Here we can look straightly from the Sliding Door of the "Chassis Room" to the Engine Room,
note on the same Pin Up Poster Hanging on the Wall, also same working tables and Person

on second Pic we see no Storage Room between "Chassis Room" and "DynoRun"

for the Pics shown in original Walking Around Thread i even can put this pic on,
we can see a little bit more of this "Storage Area" with the second Part of the Window,
this was meaining when i wrote "some lights from outside come in"

Greets Steve

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
In the Allen Grant floor plans sketch it indicates behind those 'No Admittance' double doors sign was storage.
I'm trying to find a decent photo of the area, but it's proving difficult to be certain what it looks like.

Here's a photo of the Fab Shop area from when it was under the Reventlow Automobiles Inc. ownership.
This photo was found on HotRod.com's website and noted as taken in July 1962 not long before CS leased the building.
It looks very empty compared to the Shelby American Inc. photos. I wish we could see more of what was happening in and around there at that time.
The last Scarab car
Finally, a mid-engined two-seat sports car was built. They put another Buick V8 engine in this car and Reventlow wanted to test it on the streets of Los Angeles. So, he went to the California Department of Motor Vehicles and (after installing a muffler) managed to get license plates for this all-out racing car. He personally raced the car (without muffler) three times and his best finish was second at Santa Barbara.[1]

Reventlow was planning on closing down the Scarab operation so he sold this little sports racing car to John Mecom, Jr. of Houston Texas. Mecom installed a Traco-built 327 Chevy engine and put A.J. Foyt in the car. Foyt's best result was winning a pair of races at Nassau, Bahamas during 1963.[1] Walt Hansgen won the 1964 Bridgehampton 500 in the car while it was Chevrolet powered. Augie Pabst purchased the car and was still the owner as of 2013.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
My toy 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's toy 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Krelboyne

• View Profile
Re: Shelby Buildings - Princeton Drive 1042 - Inside:Part 4 all come together
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 05:16:40 PM »
Another picture with Steve McQueen. Shows more of the interior of the shop on that day.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby Buildings - Princeton Drive 1042 - Inside:Part 4 all come together
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2019, 10:38:18 PM »
Sacred and hallowed grounds.  Some religions have their holy lands, we have Princeton Drive.  All is right in the world...I need some Shelby prayer beads before I visit 1042 Princeton Drive.  Anyone know where I can order before I make the pilgrimage?

Best,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"