Author Topic: Shelby Buildings- Princeton Drive 1042 New: befor & early in Princeton Drive Ads  (Read 11145 times)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Rich, great finds!!

My question on the different type/finish of bricks is that it doesn't make sense to me why that "newer looking" part of that wall would've been original.
What could've they been doing...if not adding the second story?  Something else that simply added that several feet of area to the front of the building?

Or, maybe the builder simply ran out of Brick Type 1 and had to switch to Brick Type 2 during the initial construction. 

But, if you look closely at the parting line between the two types, even the mortar and brick alignment is not the same. 

So, that still has me thinking it's a later add-on.  But, yes, as you have shown, the building was that way when it was very new and leased to Reventlow.

Did you ever find out who the owner(s) of the Princeton and Carter buildings were?  I'm betting it was the same person/company/builder.   Especially with Carter having the similar front bricks evidence...which probably eliminates the Brick Type 1 and Type 2 idea at Princeton.

I am thinking that the change in bricks went with changing the buildings from being merely warehouses into warehouses with offices on the ground floor and a second story.  And yes, even doing so in the one year time period since they were initially constructed.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:11:04 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
OK, here's my photo findings for today:

Thanks to HistoricAerials.com, you can search a bunch of old aerial photos pertaining to a property's address. 

Here are four time-period looks at Princeton and Carter streets:  1952, '63, '72 and 2014.

1952, '63 and '72 were the only three images from that early era.

(These are the free viewing resolutions/watermarks. You can purchase better quality and no watermark pix from them. Possibly get a closer look at the vehicles around the buildings in 1963.)

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 09:15:23 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:

Formerly:
1970 Ranchero GT 429

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Rich, great finds!!

My question on the different type/finish of bricks is that it doesn't make sense to me why that "newer looking" part of that wall would've been original.
What could've they been doing...if not adding the second story?  Something else that simply added that several feet of area to the front of the building?

Or, maybe the builder simply ran out of Brick Type 1 and had to switch to Brick Type 2 during the initial construction. 

But, if you look closely at the parting line between the two types, even the mortar and brick alignment is not the same. 

So, that still has me thinking it's a later add-on.  But, yes, as you have shown, the building was that way when it was very new and leased to Reventlow.

Did you ever find out who the owner(s) of the Princeton and Carter buildings were?  I'm betting it was the same person/company/builder.   Especially with Carter having the similar front bricks evidence...which probably eliminates the Brick Type 1 and Type 2 idea at Princeton.

I am thinking that the change in bricks went with changing the buildings from being merely warehouses into warehouses with offices on the ground floor and a second story.  And yes, even doing so in the one year time period since they were initially constructed.

Yes, I agree it seems unusual. They seem to use that same finished style of brick, with the cleaner pointed mortar at both Princeton buildings and on the Carter building for just the façade. I cant tell if they did the same with the building across the street from Princeton (behind the Carter building). The brick/mortar style change seems purposeful more than an accident such as running short on bricks. I got the impression that CS was the first person to rent/lease the Carter Avenue building. I don't really know where to look for the original builder. Nothing has shown up in any searches.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

• View Profile
OK, here's my photo findings for today:

Thanks to HistoricAerials.com, you can search a bunch of old aerial photos pertaining to a property's address. 
Here are four time-period looks at Princeton and Carter streets:  1952, '63, '72 and 2014.
1952, '63 and '72 were the only three images from that early era.
(These are the free viewing resolutions/watermarks. You can purchase better quality and no watermark pix from them. Possibly get a closer look at the vehicles around the buildings in 1963.)
Thoughts?

Nice find! That's a really neat website. We can see the Carter building was there in '63.
It is impossible for me to see what the cars are in the photos, but 1042 Princeton certainly has lot going on in the back parking lot. 
-Looking at the website, it appears the Carter building was still there until 2009!

Szabo

• View Profile
Hey,

very nice input in this thread ...

i can´t say anything to this Brick Wall discussion ... but on my logical sense i would say that
there was a modification with add some space or make a stairwall to office section...

for the HistoricAerials Link i would like to say thank you very much...

for Princenton we already have this Bird View because the Building standing
but for Carter this one was new

I agree, on 63 there was some Action in the parking lot, but there was work to do :-D

I look again to some Pics to found out where some modification on the Inside
was maybe made...

Here we can look straightly from the Sliding Door of the "Chassis Room" to the Engine Room,
note on the same Pin Up Poster Hanging on the Wall, also same working tables and Person

on second Pic we see no Storage Room between "Chassis Room" and "DynoRun"

for the Pics shown in original Walking Around Thread i even can put this pic on,
we can see a little bit more of this "Storage Area" with the second Part of the Window,
this was meaining when i wrote "some lights from outside come in"

Greets Steve

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
In the Allen Grant floor plans sketch it indicates behind those 'No Admittance' double doors sign was storage.
I'm trying to find a decent photo of the area, but it's proving difficult to be certain what it looks like.

Here's a photo of the Fab Shop area from when it was under the Reventlow Automobiles Inc. ownership.
This photo was found on HotRod.com's website and noted as taken in July 1962 not long before CS leased the building.
It looks very empty compared to the Shelby American Inc. photos. I wish we could see more of what was happening in and around there at that time.
The last Scarab car
Finally, a mid-engined two-seat sports car was built. They put another Buick V8 engine in this car and Reventlow wanted to test it on the streets of Los Angeles. So, he went to the California Department of Motor Vehicles and (after installing a muffler) managed to get license plates for this all-out racing car. He personally raced the car (without muffler) three times and his best finish was second at Santa Barbara.[1]

Reventlow was planning on closing down the Scarab operation so he sold this little sports racing car to John Mecom, Jr. of Houston Texas. Mecom installed a Traco-built 327 Chevy engine and put A.J. Foyt in the car. Foyt's best result was winning a pair of races at Nassau, Bahamas during 1963.[1] Walt Hansgen won the 1964 Bridgehampton 500 in the car while it was Chevrolet powered. Augie Pabst purchased the car and was still the owner as of 2013.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Krelboyne

• View Profile
Re: Shelby Buildings - Princeton Drive 1042 - Inside:Part 4 all come together
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 05:16:40 PM »
Another picture with Steve McQueen. Shows more of the interior of the shop on that day.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2019, 10:38:18 PM »
Sacred and hallowed grounds.  Some religions have their holy lands, we have Princeton Drive.  All is right in the world...I need some Shelby prayer beads before I visit 1042 Princeton Drive.  Anyone know where I can order before I make the pilgrimage?

Best,

Richard E.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2019, 07:11:33 PM »
Hello,

i want to put some life in this Thread ...

i agreed with "deathsled", for me a personal goal in life would be there on Princeton Drive 1042
i hope in a about 9 years when i getting 50 Years old i planned to come to USA with my Son.

i looked cross for some more information and found a 1964 Ford Total Performance Promotial Video

for me the first seconds looks like it was filmed in the Engine Room with view on the Dynometer ???
and also i suggest that the 64 Galaxie 427 standing bevor Princeton Drive Building for some night filming ???

i only made this (bad) Screenshots ...

the hole Video on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3DIPNE4I90

What do you think about that ???

« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:26:40 AM by Szabo »

Richstang

• View Profile
I would not have expected to see a 1964 Ford Video filmed inside the Venice / Princeton building, but all the details of the Dynometer appear to be a match. I'm not so certain about the building exterior matching the Galaxie filmed section. Being filmed at night and poor quality aren't helping.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Rich, I agree with your thoughts.  The exterior (of whatever building that is) has studio lights shining onto the walls, so that disguises it a bit.

Back then, of course, things were much simpler in terms of TV advertising production, and I wouldn't rule out that the exterior was Princeton.  There seem to be enough similar cues to make it a possible match.
Current:

Formerly:
1970 Ranchero GT 429

Szabo

• View Profile
Hello,

not much is going on here, just blow the dust away  :D

in a famous Car Magazin named "AUTO MOTOR SPORT" from 1963 March 23
i found a 1 Site Articel written by Bernard Cahier, an internationl Photographer and
worked for several Magazins in Europe

anbody have an idea which Cobra that is ? Because of this Roll Bar is look like a comeing race car

the best Pic for me is the Corner Pic into the Garage
when i start with research over a year ago, i wish i had this one for a better overview...

I dont know the nearly Timecode but is look very early on SAI
the only other Pic are from a Book, Timed on mid 1962

for me its something special, normally in Germany i cant buy vintage, original Shelby Articel
because of Shipping and Customer (ZOLL) from USA.

but this 57 year !!! old Magazin in very good condition i buyed and when i open all this feelings are just amazing,
the touching feeling, because it is in german the quicker reading and understanding,
 even that old b/w colour or that smelling of old paper is fantastic

sound a little bid neardy and wired but i have just fun with that  ;D

the other Pics i know from early production on SAI

Hope you enjoy, share your thoughts on this ...

Stephan

Szabo

• View Profile
Put some dust of it ...

nothing big here but some i always feel and think of this first thread i made and when i found
something new for me i will put it here, no matter how old the last post was ...

Hope you find some thoughts and share them to me

First i found 2 of the Pre-Princeton Era ... i have not much information about this Building,
can anybody explain me something about this ???
They are from a Autoweek Newspaper 13 + 27 April 1962

then i found some of the Princeton Drive

again Autoweek 30 March 1963

Autoweek 11 May 1963

Autoweek 14 September 1963

Autoweek 09 May 1964

Richstang

• View Profile
Sante Fe Springs is where the first Cobra, csx2000 was completed.

Shelby had some space inside Dean Moon's shop.
He also sold Goodyear tires out of there before opening up his own shop at 1041 Princeton Drive in Venice.

Nice find on the sales ads!

Richstang

• View Profile
Hello,

not much is going on here, just blow the dust away  :D

in a famous Car Magazin named "AUTO MOTOR SPORT" from 1963 March 23
i found a 1 Site Articel written by Bernard Cahier, an internationl Photographer and
worked for several Magazins in Europe

anbody have an idea which Cobra that is ? Because of this Roll Bar is look like a comeing race car

the best Pic for me is the Corner Pic into the Garage
when i start with research over a year ago, i wish i had this one for a better overview...

I dont know the nearly Timecode but is look very early on SAI
the only other Pic are from a Book, Timed on mid 1962

for me its something special, normally in Germany i cant buy vintage, original Shelby Articel
because of Shipping and Customer (ZOLL) from USA.

but this 57 year !!! old Magazin in very good condition i buyed and when i open all this feelings are just amazing,
the touching feeling, because it is in german the quicker reading and understanding,
 even that old b/w colour or that smelling of old paper is fantastic

sound a little bid neardy and wired but i have just fun with that  ;D

the other Pics i know from early production on SAI

Hope you enjoy, share your thoughts on this ...

Stephan

I'm not sure how I missed this post from September 2020.

That's a fantastic find of a German magazine dated in March 1963.

I would also like to know which Cobra Carroll is sitting inside (with the roll bar).
Could it be CSX2000 repainted in blue? OK, no, the gas cap appears to be in the center.

It's always neat to see inside Princeton Drive. It is rare we see a photo looking out towards the garage door!

Those look like production Cobra's being built. That photo was probably taken before the Carter Ave building was ready.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:22:29 AM by Richstang »