News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Restoration Garage episode with a '67 GT350

Started by BGlover67, February 15, 2018, 07:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

Just watched the latest episode of 'Restoration Garage' on Velocity.  It's called 'Hat Trick'.  It details the shop bringing their '46 Alfa to the 2017 Cobble Beach Concours d'Elegance.  What caught my eye was the nightmist '67 GT350 that won it's best of class award.  It's only on screen for a second or so, but I was sure I recognized it.  I was parked next to it at SAAC 42.

https://www.cobblebeachconcours.com/winners

https://www.cobblebeachconcours.com/gallery-2017-winners

Congrats to Hunt Palmer and his wife.  Really nice folks with a really nice car.  Great to see some love given to a '67 at a Concourse d' Elegance.  ;D
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Can't see the forest through the trees(or in this case the Shelby through the people) in the photo... :P

If I open a page of pics, and at the top is a Miura SV, it is a forgone conclusion I won't be scrolling down the page.  🤓

On the subject of Restoration Garage, I can't help but wonder how they restore so many different makes and models to concours levels. Do they hire marque experts to advise them on each car? They would need a staff of several dozen researchers and advisors to keep all that expertise in-house.

They also move some product. It isn't like they spend 3 years on a glitzy European car, let alone an American Muscle car.

Just wondering out loud.  🤔

Richstang

Quote from: 557 on February 15, 2018, 10:21:18 AM
Can't see the forest through the trees(or in this case the Shelby through the people) in the photo... :P

We can still see the front and back corners...
:P

#1412 makes a lots of concours event appearances. Here it is in 2016 at Kneeland. Interesting comments in the photo caption.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

jim mac

Nice car!  It is interesting that he says he is the last original owner of a 1967 GT350. I know a local guy that is the original owner of his 1967 GT500, also nightmist blue.  I bet there are others out there still.   
"If things seem under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Richstang

^^^Yes, I was thinking exactly the same. Anyone know what the "low" mileage is?
No matter what, it's a beautiful car, I'd love to have in my driveway!!!

Now about those large letter Goodyears!
uhmmm.....I don't think they were ever found on 10-spokes (never mind that late VIN), I have to look into that.

roddster

The Palmer's car mileage is under 9000K.  It was a drag car for a lot of its life.  And, as seen at SAAC 42, still in its mostly Cobra Kitted Day two  trim.  Love it.

JD

There is at least one other one-owner '67 known to many, also some lower mileage '67's too.

Great history on Hunt's car!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

A drag car with 9K miles....that's could be a ton of passes down the quarter. Does it still have it's original block?

After checking my spreadsheet, there were no 10-spoke cars made yet when they switched to the small letter Goodyears.
The majority were Magstars and maybe a few hubcap cars.

Don't get me wrong, I actually favor the large letter Goodyears, but at an MCA or SAAC event they wouldn't fly on that late of a build.

gt350cs

According to records - car came with hubcaps originally.

BGlover67

He took a lot of liberties when he restored this car.   Much of it was Ford aftermarket I assume since he worked at a dealership.  Funny how a car can win best of class at a concourse judging and yet be factory incorrect in so many ways. 

When I spoke with a fairly well known restorer recently, he told me he asks customers whether they want their car restored for SAAC Councourse (factory correct), or concourse d elegance(over restored).  I guess there is room for both. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Richstang

Quote from: BGlover67 on February 15, 2018, 01:48:07 PM
He took a lot of liberties when he restored this car.   Much of it was Ford aftermarket I assume since he worked at a dealership.  Funny how a car can win best of class at a concourse judging and yet be factory incorrect in so many ways. 

When I spoke with a fairly well known restorer recently, he told me he asks customers whether they want their car restored for SAAC Councourse (factory correct), or concourse d elegance(over restored).  I guess there is room for both.

It must be an exceptionally clean car to win at concours events. They are such a different crowd of people compared to a single mark event.

I imagine the cost difference is a factor as well. I'd be happy (and lucky) just to have a driver '67 Shelby. There's room for all of them in my book. 

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: JD on February 15, 2018, 12:46:57 PM
There is at least one other one-owner '67 known to many, also some lower mileage '67's too.

Great history on Hunt's car!

Very true.  I met a fellow at SAAC 43 that had owned his white 67 Shelby GT500 (I believe it was a big block, but can't remember for sure) since new.  He gave me his card, but I can't find it.   :-[
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BGlover67 on February 15, 2018, 01:48:07 PM

I first aw Hunts car at the French Lick Concours that he helped run. A few years back Hunt asked me to come and look at his car and evaluate the factory correctness because he wanted to put it in SAAC concours. I said I would be glad to . During preliminary conversation prior to me coming I asked him what he planned to do once given the information and he said "I am not going to change a thing" . I decided it would be better not to drive 1400 miles round trip and expenses under those circumstances  ;D . I explained what SAAC/MCA /Mid America concours is about in as sensitive way as possible. I explained that the car in it's current state would not be appropriate in a venue where assemblyline originality is the point and the expectation. SAAC does have a popular vote class where the day 2 parts and other personal touch's are appropriate. The last thing I wanted to do is give him the wrong idea that I didn't think his car was great. He understood . I believe he understood and took my explanation in the friendly non disrespectful way it was meant. We remain friends that goodness. He did the car the way he personally wanted which is cool too. I remember the cars at Pebble beach concours the year the GT350's were there . You had basically from one extreme of correctness to the other in the GT350 class. But even the much less correct cars were considered as good.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

If I remember correctly, it won an award in the '67 GT350 class popular vote on Saturday at SAAC 42.  1st place maybe?  Anyone recall?  I do remember my friend John Callis won 3rd place. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover