News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Car runs when key is turned off.

Started by Rocket, June 28, 2019, 04:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FYI:  The solenoids that are available today are pretty bad.  I went through two from NPD and I think the NAPA one is still in there.  Cheap Chinese solenoids are the mainstay today.

Bigfoot

I'm late to this thread,....but,.....are we talking about the car "dieseling" and burping or a vehicle that is idling perfectly after turning off key?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Quote from: Bigfoot on June 29, 2019, 10:00:22 PM
I'm late to this thread,....but,.....are we talking about the car "dieseling" and burping or a vehicle that is idling perfectly after turning off key?

I believe not "running on" but actually still running...idling perfect.  I think it's the solenoid.  That is the easiest and simplest to replace then I would look at the ignition switch.  If that doesn't get it, I would sell the car.

mygt350

If engine is running and not chugging after key is turned off, almost has to be solenoid. Not expensive and easy to replace.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

sfm5s081

power valve on the carb? Or just keep your foot on the brake and shift the car into 4th and let the clutch out. Assuming it's a stick

Rocket

l got the speedometer hooked up, and everything back together, and now the motor won't run. It cranks over good but does not fire. I'm sure that I tried it after getting the ignition switch in, and it ran. I just took the tach out of the circuit, and no luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Rocket on July 03, 2019, 05:08:17 PM
l got the speedometer hooked up, and everything back together, and now the motor won't run. It cranks over good but does not fire. I'm sure that I tried it after getting the ignition switch in, and it ran. I just took the tach out of the circuit, and no luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Ron

Make sure there is power to the coil with the key in the run position.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Corey Bowcutt

I can tell you last winter I did work on my 1968 GT350 dash and when I put things back together I had not hooked up the tach because I was just testing things out and found out the engine will not run with the tach disconnected.  Engine turned over it just would not start. As soon as I connected the tach everything started fine.

Rocket

12 + volts to coil. Just put tach back into the circuit, and same results. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

mygt350

68 disconnected/bad tach, engine will not run...
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

Rocket

12 Volts to coil, while cranking. Going to install a brand new dual point distributor and see if that cures it. Somehow may have fried the Petronix unit in the distributor that is in it now. Ron

Rocket

It was the coil. Had it running with new dual point distributor. Trying to put the distributor with Petronix in now, and can't get it to go down all the way. Looks like the oil pump shaft isn't centered in the hole. Any help is greatly appreciated. Ron

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Rocket on July 08, 2019, 04:13:33 PM
It was the coil. Had it running with new dual point distributor. Trying to put the distributor with Petronix in now, and can't get it to go down all the way. Looks like the oil pump shaft isn't centered in the hole. Any help is greatly appreciated. Ron

If the distributor was in there before and you've got it back in the same position, just bump the starter and the distributor will usually fall in the rest of the way.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Rocket

That's what I thought, but no luck. Ron

Rocket

Had the one with the Pertronix in the car, and could not get it to fire, or run. Am putting the new one, with the points back in, but no luck getting it down over the oil pump shaft. I get it down to where the dist. gear  and cam gear engage, but no luck getting it to go any further. Any help appreciated. Ron