News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Suspension Detailing Guide

Started by anghelrestorations, June 29, 2019, 01:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Special Ed

From my reseach the c70z a and b 4 rivet uppers were cutback in 68 1/2 for tire clearance for the cj cars new f-70-14 polyglas and e-70-15 polyglas Shelby tires and continued into all 69 mustangs cougars except for the 69 boss and f-60-15 Shelby cars. Then having front 2 rivet holes cracking from weakening after trimming the a -arm back for tire clearance ford then redesigned the upper arm in 70 and up to new 3 rivet type.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Special Ed on December 31, 2019, 10:11:14 AM
From my reseach the c70z a and b 4 rivet uppers were cutback in 68 1/2 for tire clearance for the cj cars new f-70-14 polyglas and e-70-15 polyglas Shelby tires and continued into all 69 mustangs cougars except for the 69 boss and f-60-15 Shelby cars. Then having front 2 rivet holes cracking from weakening after trimming the a -arm back for tire clearance ford then redesigned the upper arm in 70 and up to new 3 rivet type.

What does the "cut back design" look like?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CharlesTurner

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 02, 2020, 09:44:29 AM

[/quote]

There should be a pic in Marcus's detailing guide, link on page 1 of this thread.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

Quote from: CharlesTurner on January 02, 2020, 10:28:23 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on January 02, 2020, 09:44:29 AM

There should be a pic in Marcus's detailing guide, link on page 1 of this thread.
[/quote]

OK. Got it. Thanks.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Special Ed

The upper 4 rivet a-arm was metal sheared off around the 2 outer corners by the rivets for more tire clearance. The metal in that area was a rolled over lip around the ball joint but after the metal was trimmed off it was  weakened by the 2 outer rivets leaving only about a 1/4'' flat metal left between rivet and edge of metal so removing the wider rolled down metal lip greatly weakened that area leaving a crack between rivet and outer edge of metal. Most if these cutback arms have to  have crack welded up before restoring them.

anghelrestorations

I haven't checked in with the forum here in a while and just seeing the comments here.  I had to go back thru my notes and I did actually make a mistake here so its good that everyone commented.  I misread the MPC for the cutback upper control arms and this was something introduced in 1968, and not earlier than that.  I will revise the suspension guide with that information.

The August 1968 MPC below shows and comments that the cutback upper control arms (C70Z-3082-C) were introduced in 1968 when the CJ cars came out.  I will add to that (others can comment) that you will see the cutback arms on not just Cobra Jet cars but also non Cobra Jet cars during that time frame. 

Also posting some photos here of an NOS cutback upper control arm showing the -C sticker. 

IMG_2372 (2) by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

IMG_2358 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

IMG_2361 (1) by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

IMG_2363 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

shelbymann1970

My late Jan 1968 Shelby had all the original suspension on it and it had the standard non cutback arms on it so it followed suit. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

anghelrestorations

Updated the article on my website and the link in this thread as well with changes. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations