News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Which flavor of 1965-70 Shelby do you most identify with?

Started by GT500KRust, February 15, 2018, 10:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT500KRust

I have a soft spot for the 1968 GT500KR, but some recent experiences have given me a new appreciation for the 1969-70 era cars. The Shelby/Mustang evolved dramatically over its short lifespan. With so much variation, which one do you connect with most and why?

Doug C

They are all great cars but for me the Hertz version is the one I identify with true most.  Doesn't hurt that over the past 30+ years I've had 3 of them.  I also like the non-black ones best.  Cheers

Richstang

Your first post and already your stirring the pot?
::)

Of course you know everyone will have a different opinion. They are all special for their own reasons.
'65's for the brute track set-ups
'66 for their slightly refined street - track performance
'67 for their GT40 influenced design and GT500 intro
'68 for the convertibles and cobra jet engines
'69 for their muscle car performance and luxury options

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

roddster

The 67's.  But, of course I own one.

But, lately it is the weird one offs, drag cars, off the wall colors, odd ordered optioned ones I find interesting.

Sixx7shelby

When I was growing up my family was into big blocks. As a kid, I always was drawn to the looks of 67 Shelbys the most. Those dual quad 428s under the hood, GT40 style scoops, mag stars, and aggressive longer nose.

BUT once I went for some hot laps in 5R100 and a track prepped 67 GT350, I changed to wanting a performance enhanced 67 GT350. I still have big block cars and my car is a pleasure to drive and goes like hell too!

Love them all but if I can have only one, it's a 67 350 for me.
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO

jguyer

Being the original owner of my KR convertible, it's hard for that to not be my vehicle of choice. I also have a '67, obviously a fastback, that I enjoy. Driving with the top down is what I like most. So that rules out 65 and 99% of 66. I have never been in a 69-70 convertible, but they look great. Also have an '08 GT500 convertible and a Cobra substitute, so that shows my preference for topless models.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

KR Convertible

^^  I'm with you!  I have 5 collector cars, all convertibles.  I like my cars and women the same way...TOPLESS!   ;D

shelbydoug

Different ways on different days. Hit me with your best shot. Practicality means nothing to me anymore.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

tesgt350

GT500KRust

Quote from: Richstang on February 15, 2018, 10:54:53 AMOf course you know everyone will have a different opinion. They are all special for their own reasons.

I agree, there is no right or wrong answer. Just a chance to hear what draws other enthusiasts to their particular favorite :)

Which one is yours?

For me, it is the '67 I have. Only thing I would change if I could would be a Parchment interior. I didn't have to have a Big Block, but it did have to be Nightmist, Inboards and a 4-speed.

I also love '66/'65s and '70/'69s.

Only Mustang I would take over a Shelby is a '69 Boss 429. Preferably Burgundy or Black Jade.

SFM6S087

For me it's the carryovers. When I set out to buy a Shelby (almost 40 years ago) I found that the early cars appealed to me the most – the 65's & 66's. Between those two years I liked the raw performance of the 65's, but wanted the cool appearance features of the 66's (side scoops and quarter windows). What to do? Then I discovered the carryovers, which are a nice combination of the 65 performance and 66 appearance features that I wanted. A sort of best of both worlds to my way of thinking. So that's what I bought and I've never regretted it.

Having expressed that preference, I have to say that there's not a Shelby made that I don't like. They each have their own special magic. And in the middle of the hot & humid Texas summers I sometimes dream of having a 1969 GT350 with AIR CONDITIONING. Ahhhh... cool air. Yes!

Steve

69mach351w

mr68shelby

Dad drove Buick Roadmasters in the 50s. Electra 225's in the 60's. An Impala 402 Turbo Jet in the late 60's because the 454 he wanted was an extra $252? My brother graduated high school 1973. Dad gave him a $1000 budget for a car. 1965 Notchback Mustang was the result. I graduated 1977 with the same budget and got a 1965 fastback. Dad we need a convertible. Found a 65 soon after. Added to collection. We need a Shelby to add to the collection. Looked at 65-66 back in the day since that is what we had. For two years. Way before internet. Found 1968 Convertible in the newspaper in 1979. Hi Mickey! Done deal. I found my 68 convertible to match the one Dad bought. Hi Tim! My brother and I have two of the 35 68 GT500's 4 speed A/C cars! Guess which is the favorite to identify with!

mr68shelby

And missed posting a picture of mine just had a birthday Feb 13. #872. And my brothers Feb 12. #423 . Will try to put a picture of the two of them soon.