News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Which flavor of 1965-70 Shelby do you most identify with?

Started by GT500KRust, February 15, 2018, 10:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Schalk

I love all the '65-'70 Shelby cars, but I'm partial to '67 GT350's.  My Dad and I were always into cars, mostly Vettes and Tri 5 Chevys.  He asked me what I wanted to work on next and I said a Mustang.  So back in 1987, my senior year of high school, I saw a '67 GT350 (#2585) advertised in the local WI auto trader.  We went and looked at the car and it turned out to be a California rust free car sitting in a barn in Wisconsin.  I remember the emotion that came over me when the seller slid the barn door open and backed the Shelby out into the January winter snow.  I couldn't stop staring at the car.  My Dad made a deal with the seller and bought it for me.  I was hooked and obsessed with Shelby cars at that point, especially '67's.  I still own that car today and plan on never getting rid of it.  It will always remain in my collection.

deathsled

Huge fan of the R models.  Crude, lethal, obnoxious and beautiful.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

For me performance includes turning so big blocks are out. Additional weight is also a problem so 65-66 is preferred. In other words give me an original 65 or early enough 66 to have the 65 chassis tricks.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

zray

I identify with the Shelby that won on the racetrack, whuppin' the Corvettes but good. That was good ammo to use for taunting the Chevy lovers in my high school.

Hmmm, that was the '65, right ? I never owned one of those, but did get a lot of enjoyment razzing the bow-tie crowd.

;)

Z

Stillakid54

69. My first year of high school. At the time I really appreciated the more aggressive appearance than the standard mustang.
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

Bigfoot

Quote from: 2112 on February 15, 2018, 03:22:16 PM

Only Mustang I would take over a Shelby is a '69 Boss 429. Preferably Burgundy or Black Jade.

We can find you one someday
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Corey Bowcutt

My 68 GT350's birthday was February 12 as well.  But the numbering thing really confuses me because mine is #2034.  How can the numbers be so far off?  The only thing I am wondering is if the date I have off the Marti report is the Metuchen date and you have perhaps the Shelby conversion complete date?

shelbydoug

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on February 16, 2018, 09:18:56 AM
My 68 GT350's birthday was February 12 as well.  But the numbering thing really confuses me because mine is #2034.  How can the numbers be so far off?  The only thing I am wondering is if the date I have off the Marti report is the Metuchen date and you have perhaps the Shelby conversion complete date?

Mine is Feb 14-68. -01107.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Harris Speedster

Have owned many 65-70 Shelby's in my life.
Always loved the 67 GT 350 the most, especially the early cars, #45 .
With respect,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: 2112 on February 15, 2018, 03:22:16 PM
For me, it is the '67 I have. Only thing I would change if I could would be a Parchment interior. I didn't have to have a Big Block, but it did have to be Nightmist, Inboards and a 4-speed.

I also love '66/'65s and '70/'69s.

Only Mustang I would take over a Shelby is a '69 Boss 429. Preferably Burgundy or Black Jade.

Amen all the way around!  The 67 I have has lit a fire in me that won't go out.  I love the the styling, handling, astetics...I love it all!

That said, I do have an affinity for 65-68 Shelbys, specially, 65s (especially the R models), 66 carryovers, 67 small blocks, and 68 KRs...preferably fastbacks.

And, just like 2112, the only Mustang I would ever take over a Shelby is a 69 Boss 429.  My colors would be Raven Black, Royal Maroon, Candyapple Red or Wimbledon White.  Basically, all but Black Jade.  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

papa scoops

69 convertible, 500 or 350, 2nd choice 66 350 any color but  white. phred

kjspeed

As a 15-year old high school sophomore I found an ad in the local (Syracuse, NY) newspaper for a 1969 Shelby for $1200. The car was being sold by Household Finance Company (HFC) in Solvay, NY and me and my buddies went down to take a look, even though it would be a year before I could get a driver's license and I was about $1000 short of the asking price. The car was a red GT500 convertible with white interior and top and it was rough! Ran hard and put away wet, it looked like it had been sitting under an oak tree for 50 years although the car was less than 10 years old at the time. But I fell in lust with that car! A true Shelby fixer-upper!
I pestered the loan officer with several follow up calls and visits trying to get him to take a lower offer. He finally agreed to $600 cash if I could bring the money by Friday. So I began working on my parents to borrow the additional $400 I needed. No deal. I was crushed and had to walk away from the opportunity but I've never forgotten that car. I still wonder whatever happened to it. I never got the VIN so it would be hard to research.
It's probably for the best anyway as I would likely have driven it in the snow and possibly even wrapped it around a tree.
It took another 40+ years but I finally got a Shelby. My tastes changed a little bit and I got a 68 GT350.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

CSX 4133

I would have to say the SC Cobra, although a GT 350 would look really nice next to it.    ;)

pjg01

I love 65's with their barely street legal, no frills, just everything needed to go fast. I know other cars had more horsepower, but the package delivered by the 65 is just great. From the Detroit locker rear, side exit exhaust, wood steering wheel, dash pod with tach, fiberglass hood, koni shocks etc. Nobody ever forgets a good ride in a 65!

The fact that they were even made is incredible.