News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Lee Iacocca. RIP

Started by 683760, July 02, 2019, 09:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

GT350Lad

Just heard, what a life and legacy
RIP
6S373
6S1276

Side-Oilers

Another legend passes.
I met and talked with him a few times, back when I was in the business.  Always had respect for him, and he was always pleasant to me. 
Have a personal story to tell...maybe later.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

deathsled

What??  That caught me by surprise.  He is now with the automotive gods and goddesses burning high octane in a 64.5 Mustang convertible.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bigfoot

94 is a good number. I'll take that number.
RIP
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

68countrysedan

He had quite a career. I'm glad most of it was with Ford. As Father of the Mustang, he got his image on both Newsweek and Time covers, which was the analog equivlent of a couple of million of today's Twitter followers.

Besides the Mustang, he also championed the Mustang II. Save the scoffs, this model maintained Mustang's unbroken mechcanical lineage.  And consider the Lincoln Mk. III, which put Lincoln on the map for personal luxury car buyers.

And don't over look that Iacocca hired Shelby to breathe performance into the Chrysler vehicle line-up. Chrysler/Shelby interjected turbocharging into the performance environment decades before it was fully embraced by manufacturers. Iacocca wasn't done yet. In 1990 he approved Dodge Viper production.

If there was a career downside, not of his making, it was getting bounced from Ford. Ultimately, he was living proof of not getting mad, but getting even.

Side-Oilers

Agreed.  I was at the press conference when he announced Viper production.

True story:  When I handled PR for CS at '91 Indy 500, on the Pace Car program, Iacocca asked me to get General Schwarzkopf there (on short notice) as his guest on race day and to ride in the pre-race parade.  Those were my marching orders. No contact info for the general, nothing.

I don't recall that Iacocca even knew him personally.  With no internet to assist me, I somehow managed to pull it off, old-school.  Even was authorized to sign Lee's name on the letter.  Kinda cool.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model