Author Topic: Fuel smell 68 fastback  (Read 5709 times)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel smell 68 fastback
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 12:59:32 PM »
Check that top of tank isn't rusty.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 02:36:17 PM »
There was a recall on the 69 gas caps because the venting was igniting with the exhausts right below it. Put a non-vented cap on and see if the smell goes away?
Keep in mind that if you fit a non vented cap that you will have to add a vent somewhere else . You have to have a vent to allow air to displace the fuel in the tank as the fuelpump draws it out. In the case of the 69/70 Shelby the vent was added to the gas filler neck and routed over and down to the passenger side the wheel well and routed out of the trunk floor drop .

Probably some sort of a charcoal filter in that system would eliminate any possibility of fumes as well? You should be able to find one that works since all cars now have them new as part of the EVAP system.
No extra filter needed for 69/70 gas cap vent recall because the fumes were vented to the outside of the car.

You're missing the point. It is not "needed" but is helpful in eliminating the fume smell
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:04:53 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 05:17:57 PM »
Hello, 98SVT, Tank is as new

I had a car a few weeks ago. Was working on it, Real nice car, pulled up the trunk mat and noticed a glinting on the top of the tank.....nope, was seeing the fuel sloshing around!!!! there were bloody great holes in the top. Bottom looked perfect. Amazing the things you see working on these cars

Floors glued in, no welding

Full one piece USED floor pop riveted in

Rear quarters 25% made up of Galv sheetmetal that was skimmed both sides to hide the work to a causal glance.

Exposed wires from here to the moon

The fun continues

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 09:12:57 AM »
When there is a fuel smell inside the car from my experience it has always been because of one of the following problems:
1. The hood is not adjusted properly so that it is not contacting the rubber seal at the cowl. Hood adjustment required.
2. The rubber seal between the hood and the cowl is missing or torn or shrunken.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 01:45:31 PM »
OMG that sounds like text for a lawsuit.

Hello, 98SVT, Tank is as new

I had a car a few weeks ago. Was working on it, Real nice car, pulled up the trunk mat and noticed a glinting on the top of the tank.....nope, was seeing the fuel sloshing around!!!! there were bloody great holes in the top. Bottom looked perfect. Amazing the things you see working on these cars

Floors glued in, no welding

Full one piece USED floor pop riveted in

Rear quarters 25% made up of Galv sheetmetal that was skimmed both sides to hide the work to a causal glance.

Exposed wires from here to the moon

The fun continues
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:01:48 PM by Royce Peterson »
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2020, 03:02:56 PM »
When there is a fuel smell inside the car from my experience it has always been because of one of the following problems:
1. The hood is not adjusted properly so that it is not contacting the rubber seal at the cowl. Hood adjustment required.
2. The rubber seal between the hood and the cowl is missing or torn or shrunken.
All good points and may be most typical on a regular Mustang but on a 67-68 Shelby it typically has to do with the poorly sealed tail panel more times then not. For those not familiar the sheet metal Mustang tail panel were cut out to make room for the Shelby taillight assemblies and fiberglass tail panel . 67 were especially cut out crudely. Wide gaps around the Shelby installed parts are consequently typical. Poorly sealed from the factory is putting it mildly. Some 67/68 were worse then others. The good news is that 68 Shelby's are easier to seal up the tail panel area then 67. There are various threads about sealing up for less smell. It sounds like the OP is on the right track. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 03:04:38 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 03:03:42 AM »
This may or may not be of help but I have functional lower brake scoops and I was careful with the installation as far as making sure they sealed with strip caulk and silicone in addition to riveting the hoses back onto the flanges. What I found on my vehicle is that I had left the upper scoop vents open. I can only assume it was creating a vacuum and pulling exhaust in through the smallest of orifices.  The tank was sealed with the strip caulk as well as the tail lamp panel from the inside and sealer was used from the panel to the edge of the trunk sheet metal. ( I have an early car with the flat panel that doesn't have the lip that rivets.)

-Keith

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 03:45:17 PM »
Just finishing up the story on some of my older posts

On this particular car we resealed the tail light panel. We removed the light panel, As Bob mentioned the openings for the back of the lights were letting the fumes in, We taped heavy duty black plastic over the whole area and put the light panel back in and then trimmed carefully where the sockets for the lights came through and inserted into the light panel, the sockets pinned the plastic against the tail lamp housings and this cured the fumes immediately.

Peter