Author Topic: Shelby Buildings -LAX- New 10.02.24 - 4 new colored Pics May 65 w. Comparsion  (Read 22678 times)

Szabo

• View Profile
Thank you both for your replys

I think everyone can say a little bit, i am happy when answers come in, even some thougts are
interessting for me...

Thx Richstangs for the Timecode, i even make Editīs on the original thread, only a few hours befor i drive to BMW Meeting  ;)

Szabo

• View Profile
Hello again,

after a few days i will come back with my work on Hangar 9 (Show Car / Race Shop) on LAX

This Hangar took me busy for a while, the outside was not a big problem, but the inside took me some days
and even nights.

So first we make a little outside tour ...

right after the Sales Office at the Entrance you can see directly on the big gate from Hangar 9

We see the first details like the backside of Sales Office was lower at the the front side ...
an on the Hangar we see it is very dark inside, not much light inside

and we see some big white shields with direction on it.

on the next one some GT350 but we can look in the Hangar and even trough the backside out again...
when we come to the inside this would be interessting...

Not that a few glass Windows of the Gates are broken or have damaged

and we have a quick look at the ramp on the right side.

on this pic we see it a little bit clearer ...

we can see this loading ramp in the backside of the Daytona Coupe

when we go behind the Edge we see the open under roof section from the former buisness on LAX

on this early pic we see in the backround is some work going on ...
We have no Paint Booth Boxes like on later pics
Anyone have a Timecode for this Pic ???

on the later Pics (Open House Day) the Paint Booth Boxes was installed like on the blueprint plan shown.

Here a closer look on the Paint Boxes

between the Boxes and the side gate from hangar 9 we see another little corrugated iron Shack
than comes the Side Gate and shortly after the outside paint boxes ...

on the street was some marking stripes and when we look at this pic we can read it ... NO SMOKING

after the Paint Boxes to the edge of Building, which was closed and not open i have no pics but on the edge
to the backside was some action going on...

on this early Pics we see a transporter standing and even a USRCC Cobra

on a later pic we see some work is going on ...

and on this pic from the backside we can see there is a Wall of white brickets ... i dont know what was
behind the wall or even there was another small building build...

EDIT: a new pic shows what behind the Brick wall, there were build some smaller building but
high enough so even trucks can drive in or out...

on this last Pic from Outside we can see there was some gas pumps on the Aera...
in the backround we see this huge electricity trafos ... and so we know that this Pic was made right behind
Hangar 9

I will finished here for the first time, i go to the inside in a few moments

Edith, the outside overview

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:33:54 PM by Szabo »

honker

• View Profile
Re: Shelby Buildings - LAX - Hangar 9 ( ShowCar / RaceShop ) Outside Tour
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 06:18:56 PM »
Szabo, great thread ! this one and the others, you have put a lot of work into this  8)

You probably know this one, a more recent (not sure of the date) image. looks like the grading is changed at the delivery doors as well, what side of the building is this ?

Mike
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:27:06 PM by honker »

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 11:01:11 PM »
Another great job of everything, Steve!   The details are wonderful.

As for this photo, in the background, does anyone know why two or three notchbacks were there?  They look like vinyl top cars.  Or are they convertibles with their tops up? 

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:08:16 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

EDIT: Thx to Richstangs this Pic was made late November / early December 1965 after some
salt damage on Bonneville Racing

That's SFM5S304 to the right in the picture.  Work started on that car May 20, 1965 and was completed May 26, 1965.  Narrows the possible timeline by just a few days.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 02:39:14 PM »
Szabo, great thread ! this one and the others, you have put a lot of work into this  8)

You probably know this one, a more recent (not sure of the date) image. looks like the grading is changed at the delivery doors as well, what side of the building is this ?

Mike

I think this must be the new front side from Hangar 8 ... the building was heavy modified over the years but look actual
my screenshot is just a few weeks old from 2019

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2019, 03:12:00 PM »
Another great job of everything, Steve!   The details are wonderful.

As for this photo, in the background, does anyone know why two or three notchbacks were there?  They look like vinyl top cars.  Or are they convertibles with their tops up?

i found a pic we can see this a little bit closer ... all this Stangs are standing on the "Company Cars" Parking Lot, which about 20 Cars
so found on the Blueprint from Lax

on another Pic we see one more Hardtop standing next to the Cobra

(all Pics from Open House Event 6-8 June 65)

cob4ra

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 03:56:07 PM »
Fantastic pictures; I’m wondering if anyone has any pictures of the Hertz Cars outside like these 65 pictures?
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 03:31:18 PM »
After some Search on the web i found this pic from a cobra and in the backround
we see whats going on on the other Side of the Wall...

i will add this pic in the original thread for a little timeline ...

i see there are building something like a Garage where Cars or even truck drive in and out
when you look at upper top windows from original Building the Building are not only a brick wall
the building are wide...

anyone have an Idea what this could be ???

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2019, 05:55:40 PM »
Hello,

not much going on in this Thread ...

But i will finish my work on LAX, after that i will just post for fun ...

Hangar 9 was for a long time my a struggeling puzzle in my head ... i looking of all the pics and dont found out,
how all pics come together.

But after weeks, days, hours i have a solution for all this and its a little bit like it is in Carter Ave. Building

The Action is on the Backside and not on the Frontside ...

But enough from just words, lets have a look...

right when you go from Sales Office into the big gate of Hangar 9 you will enter a "Show Area"

in an Newspaper Articel from 13 June 1965 in LA Times, (yeah i even study Newspaper article for Pics and Infos)
just a few days after "Open House Event"
it is be titeld that in this Aera was for Promo Ads from Pre-Production Cars

Surley a most knows Pic is again from George Watters Collection, it was from Open House Event, Day 2, Monday 7 June 1965
"Ford Director of the Board" Meeting, including Henry Ford II
and it is shown this magic 66 Prototyp with this Front Grill Sign  ...

I am faczinated from these Pic and even this hole Open House Meeting.
and it was even the first pic for all the Research Work on Hangar 9

on this Enlarged Pic, you can Read a 13 on the Pillar, on the Pic befor over that stand CB

So, for me was the main point --- all the Pillars have standing some Letters and numbers

After a really long time in Research i found this stunning pic in a book ... an now the hole magic begin
Another Pic from another angle from exactly this Ford Director of the Board Meeting
this was a really happy moment for me...

We can see so much deaitls, even more cars standing in this circle (Sunbeam Tiger), a large Display behind the crowed
and we see CB 14 to CB 16 on the Pillars to the Gate.
(Note that the Timecode Date is wrong, Pic is not taken in April! )

After Show Car Area was a large Section Wall to the Race Car Shop Area ...

on this Pic we can see a Cobra standing right befor the Section wall, on the Pillar is CB 10 written

After the section wall, or even from the backside of the Hangar
(Boy, that took long befor i understanding
the fact that the Hangar has 2 Gates to come in, blind from all the Pics like a child in the candy shop)
was the Race Shop (Prototyp Area too) ...

there are some well knows pics again and so i will starting with these ones

we are standing in the Hangar, middle of the RaceCar Area and looking at the gates again.

the pic is made at the same moment as the one befor, we see only Shelby converting to "R" Models
and in the Front is 5S003 converting back to street configuration to be later sold ...

Note the Details: on the Pillars standing CA 1 - CA 3
(Funny Fact: Note the big "COBRA" Banner on the Wall)

(Source is http://1965gt350mustang.com/history.html )

on this Pic later made on LAX History, and even in beautifull Colour, we can see the same Angle of shooting
with different Cars, the Notchback Hardtops befor transformed for Trans Am Racing and the Spoiler Prototyp SFM 5 S 319 behind
the Notchback

(Funny fact: the COBRA Banner ist gone , but where the heck it is ? in a Garage, in a living room we would do this nowadays ?
No it Hanging right under the roof  ;D from Hangar 9)

Now comes some (bad) Screenshots from the Shelby Goes Racing with Ford Promo Video

this will get us a overlooking of the Inner side befor the section wall and from left (CB Pillar Side) to the right (CA Pillar Side)

here we have a clear look without Mr. Shelby
in the middle stand a little working office like in Carter Ave Building in the middle of the working area

and for last my simple skeetch overlook

These are the last pics will be post in directly order to have this "Overlooked" ...
to my research work i found and lucky find every day some new pics shooting on LAX
and i will post them in this Thread just to have see whats going on LAX

So what you think ? Tell me your thougts

Greets from Germany

Szabo / Steve

6s2020

• View Profile

Nice Job, interesting and informative.

Thanks for your effort, just what the forum needs right now.  :)

Darryll

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Well Done Steve!

It's nice to see all these photos organized in one thread and sorted by each building/hanger.
The photo 'clips' from the videos are another nice touch!

Thanks
 :)
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

honker

• View Profile
May not be relevant to this thread, looking at the vehicles, I would say this is current, is it a set from the movie ?

Mike

Szabo

• View Profile
Hello together,

after a long time i would like to rework on the thread ...

because of the french video, more magazine shots, the petersen Museum and some other new sources
i have a lot of new pics and can relocate where on LAX are the pics made.

I would like to begin with some (new for me) Pics from Petersen Museum

We saw a 65 Shelby GT350, nothing special at this point, but when you look closer you can clearly
see in the Backround the shot was made on the tarmac from LAX and right after the Gate and befor the open doors
of Hangar 8 (Production Hangar)

This Man seems lucky (anybody knows where the man was ?) , Dealer Plate says 1Z MFG 013
Edit: Thanks 68countrysedan from the License Plate thread we know the Man was Eric Rickman

The next pic made me a little bit curious because we see a worker with helmet comeing out of the Hangar,
i suggested quickly this must be a very early LAX Shoot and what the Heck was inside going on ...

the next pic was a shot a little bit to high for the GT350 but we have a very good lock inside.

i decide to do some easy Photoreworking and so we can look a little bit better in the Hangar

at this moment i was lucky again, because we see a very early pic from LAX,
on the left side the later Production Pit was excavate but no more cars are seen
on the right side we so an empty space, know Paint booth was installed
in the backround a Pic Up is standing in the hangar

on some sources i read that SAI was rent the Hangar from Januar 1965
but Cragar deliverd a first pair of Cragar Wheels at March 1965
rework finish from LAX was on April 1965

so, like always is the big question, when was the Shoot ?
Maybe you have some thoughts about this

after shooting befor Hangar was finished, the GT350 make some hot laps around the blast wall,

for better understanding i make a quick overlook on the air pic from LAX

Greets from Germany

Stephan / Szabo
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 02:42:09 PM by Szabo »

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Thank you Stephan. Your had work allows us to see the exact location of the photo shoots. Nicely done!