Author Topic: Shelby Buildings -LAX- New 10.02.24 - 4 new colored Pics May 65 w. Comparsion  (Read 22683 times)

Szabo

• View Profile
Re: Shelby Buildings- LAX - New: King Cobra 67 and the little Gas Station on LAX
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2020, 06:17:31 PM »
Stephan,

It's really hard to pinpoint exactly where the door opening was located, as we never really see the entire race hanger facade from left to right. I do think your very close.

Hello Rich,

thanks for your comment,
i tryed to locate the Pics clearly to the ground, like in the old Forum with the George Watters Collection Pics

for the Pinpoint of the "Group VII open Gate" Pic i looked a another Bird View Pic from LAX,
you can see the soft Corners on Hangar 9 and you can see the Gates (closed)

and when you see this Pic from Inside the open door was left hand from the inner RaceShop (between Pillar CA3 - CA4)

the only thing was the Windows (we dont see that open one on the Bird View Pic) but from inside i know that
it was some clearly openings and some was closed / broken and just fixed with non visible material

last Point i really think is not hard proofed possible, but i really think they dont pull that chassis to long over the hot
tarmac, out of the Race Shop side door into a point where the sun is behind you for a quick pic.

please ignore the second red arrow on that Cobra, it was only for me and another thought

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 06:21:21 PM by Szabo »

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Re: Shelby Buildings- LAX - New: King Cobra 67 and the little Gas Station on LAX
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 08:41:14 PM »
OF COURSE...the aerial views...forehead slap. Thanks Stephan

As you said, we see the photo with the Group 7 race car showing the sliding garage door and windows popped open to the right side.
I guess the aerial (birds eye) view have all the windows closed and painted over. Perhaps later on the employees cleaned/scraped them off to allow light inside.

Yes, maybe it was pulled out over the tarmac and purposely rolled over to the side on the concrete for the photos and the daylight inspection /review.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2020, 07:34:04 AM »
The film Ford v. Ferrari, depicts Miles test driving GT40's on a course set up at the LA facility.

In looking at the photos, I realize that the proportion of the lot is not easy to put into perspective but is that actually true or was that a "Hollywood license" created to tell a story?

I don't see where that would have fit in unless it was kind of a Penske-Donahue, 200 ft skidpad, created in a back parking lot? Where was it? I don't see an obvious location.

I talked to Bruce Junor about that, he said that the LAX officials would have freaked if they saw that.  According to him, it never happened.

(Bruce was the SA production manager and the one responsible for setting up the production line/hangar at LAX)

I like the film a lot but it appears it is not something that anyone can refer to as historical documentation.

I have some sympathy for the authors attempting to tell a story. I get told by my sons that I tend to embellish a little myself? I have no idea what they are talking about though. I state only the facts. It's not my fault they are so difficult to believe?  :o
 ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2020, 02:09:15 PM »
I found another Pic from the rear side of the Raceshop (Hangar 9)

like the "Group VII" Pic it is the same Point,
not the big Hangar Gate on the front,
it is again the little side hangar door,
seems to often used that suggested for me...
when you count the open panel of the window on the Inside R Production
you will see that it is the same one on the GT40 Pic.
we see that soft corners, the side gate is open

but this time in beautiful colour of the 60s

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 02:12:25 PM by Szabo »

Richstang

• View Profile
Re: Shelby Buildings- LAX - New: GT40 outside side open door Hangar 9
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2020, 06:28:20 PM »
That's a great photo you found!!!

Is that an upside down Mercedes Benz logo?

I've never seen that logo on the car before. and there are several photos of the car at LAX (before Le Mans and without the black painted nose)

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2020, 07:00:07 PM »
Yeah, this is a Mercedes Logo  ;)
(but not upside down)

i do a quick research on Nr. 7 on Le Mans, but early in the Race
it has the silver Hood, twin black stripes, but no Mercedes Logo
later on the race, it has a flat black Hood

when you have more Pics on LAX i would love to see them here
(i only know a pair or so befor 66 Le Mans shipping)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 07:46:16 PM by Szabo »

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2020, 03:58:38 PM »
I put some ife in the thread with beautyfull coloured pics ...
mostly we see pics in black/white so some coloure in life is always good.

Maybe somebody can help verifying a timecode ...

first ist this GT40 running befor some GT350
subtext says this is P1004 who was in LeMans 65 and later in the Cobra Caravan Tour,
notice the different Wheel Colour front/back

2nd Pic is a repost from HONKER,
always fascinated to see new pics and so i liked it very much

i found a second Pic from a Daytona Coupe but this should not be the same Coupe

Any Thoughts on this ???

Greets from Germany

Stephan

Richstang

• View Profile
Re: Shelby Buildings- LAX - New: GT40 and Daytona Coupe in Coloured Pics
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2020, 11:59:12 PM »
I believe the photo of the GT40 P/1004 was taken just before it shipped to LeMans, perhaps at the open house around June 8th.
There is a photo of the race #30 version of this car, arriving at LeMans on the rented transporter with the other GT's
Although difficult to see the driver in the LAX photo, it appears that person may have a suit on. I might see a white collar shirt and tie.

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2020, 01:36:12 AM »

I too believe that pic was taken at the open house June 65.
Here’s a couple of post LeMans pics of P1004 taken inside the hanger, prior to ending its life as a MK 1:

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2020, 12:58:26 PM »
Does anyone reproduce these photo's extra large on photo paper like the 65 photo sets? I would love to have a set of these ! I love seeing that pack of red cars behind the cobra and thinking which one is mine  ;)
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2020, 03:39:20 PM »
Thanks for the answers,

i found no pic or Info that a GT40 is used for show or performing on the 3 Days Open House Event... 7/8/9 June 1965

only the Roadster GT/108 was used and showed on all 3 Days, the backround where the Carriers and Haulers are standing is totally full of
ALL Vehicels SAI has ... on the Pic is only 1 Hauler to see ...

Le Mans 1965 was 19/20 June 1965.

nice to see the Two Different Wheels on the Hangar (of LeMans),

@427hunter

i cant answer the question, but if you ever found a pic in higher resolution than showed let me know,
nothing goes over high resolution pics.

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2021, 07:14:55 PM »
Hello all together,

after a long break i am back in all that shelby stuff and hope to show some
stuff you never seen befor like this ...

Again, i have to thank Richstang (Rich) from the bottom of my heart,
he always support me with all his extreme knowaledge

So i start with a journey into the deepest corners of LAX
with an Visit from Japan

Rich found a articel from a japanese Photographer named
Kyoichi Yamaguchi
but without any date, the source was not active
and the source of the articel was unkown.

we talked about the pics and suggest the Date was on the open house
event on June 1965 ...

nearly a year after getting this articel i have the power and the time
to go in a massive research. The Articel is very long with about 10 Sites
and he also visit the AC Factory in England... but i will concentrate on
the Sites with LAX.

First of all i want to find the source of the articel and so i have to learn
there is no Ebay in Japan and i have to learn the google translator is
noch always the best to convert english in japan

But after 3 Days of searching and trying and with lot of luck i found
out the Car Graphic also have a Japan Issue and so i found out that
the 9.th Issue of 1965 has the story inside...

After this first step and success i was on fire.

What stands in the Japanese text ?
when was the reporter on LAX ?
where stands all the Cars ?
which Cars can we see on the Pics ?

So when you also interested on this questions i invate you
in a journey pic by pic ...

Any Thought and ansers are welcome

Greets from Germany

Stephan
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 07:18:39 PM by Szabo »

honker

• View Profile
Stephan,
You appear to have a very good understanding of where the Chevron gas pumps were, as well as the location of the Can am race car on the west side of the Race Hanger #9.

(I don't think this race car was ever named as a King Cobra; noted in that one photo caption. I believe it was called a 'Shelby Group VII')
This yellow #55 raced at Riverside on October 29th 1967 in the Can Am series. I'm not sure it raced anywhere else. It disappeared at the end of the '67 season.

Your photo of the front sliding garage doors (south side of the race Hanger #9; with the Group VII race car) does not show clearly in the blueprint drawings. It's really hard to pinpoint exactly where the door opening was located, as we never really see the entire race hanger facade from left to right. I do think your very close.

Stephan, welcome back !  thanks for the images from the Japanese Car magazine, lots to analyze in those photos.

Rich, your photo of the Shelby '67 Can-Am effort, sent me into my files, and I found a larger image of your post above, from the

Friedman book, (sorry for the fold, didn't want to break the spine on the book) there are a couple of photos here that might help

with the orientation with in the building. Do we have any other photos that show the location of what looks like a chassis plate in

the first pic ? In the second photo there are employee's lockers visible on the left.

I'm not sure if the photo of the car on the chassis plate, and the ones of the car on trestles is in the same location ?

(photos: Friedman ? & Getty images)

Mike
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 10:25:53 AM by honker »

honker

• View Profile
one more photo of the '67 Can-Am car from the rear. Not the best for position, there is some shelving with labels in front of the car, but similar shelves are in a couple of other spots in the plant as well.

(photo: not sure where I found this one, might have been in one of my magazines)

Mike
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 10:03:30 PM by honker »

Szabo

• View Profile
Stephan,
You appear to have a very good understanding of where the Chevron gas pumps were, as well as the location of the Can am race car on the west side of the Race Hanger #9.

(I don't think this race car was ever named as a King Cobra; noted in that one photo caption. I believe it was called a 'Shelby Group VII')
This yellow #55 raced at Riverside on October 29th 1967 in the Can Am series. I'm not sure it raced anywhere else. It disappeared at the end of the '67 season.

Your photo of the front sliding garage doors (south side of the race Hanger #9; with the Group VII race car) does not show clearly in the blueprint drawings. It's really hard to pinpoint exactly where the door opening was located, as we never really see the entire race hanger facade from left to right. I do think your very close.

Stephan, welcome back !  thanks for the images from the Japanese Car magazine, lots to analyze in those photos.

Rich, your photo of the Shelby '67 Can-Am effort, sent me into my files, and I found a larger image of your post above, from the

Friedman book, (sorry for the fold, didn't want to break the spine on the book) there are a couple of photos here that might help

with the orientation with in the building. Do we have any other photos that show the location of what looks like a chassis plate in

the first pic ? In the second photo there are employee's lockers visible on the left.

I'm not sure if the photo of the car on the chassis plate, and the ones of the car on trestles is in the same location ?

(photos: Friedman ? & Getty images)

Mike

Hello Mike ...

the First Pic is not from inside LAX , it is looking very similar but it is in an book describe like
inside of a factory named TAC (Transatlantic Automotive Consultants) which was formed by
Carroll Shelby and ex Lotus Man Len Terry... 

the other Pics are from inside LAX, Hangar 9, Race-Shop,
it stands right befor the big section Wall to the "Show-Aera"
you can see the little "Foreman Cabrin" which one person just phoned ...
in the Backround stands CA 8 on the Pillar ... 

Footage from the 1966 French Video filmed in the Race Shop
i marked the postion were the chassis stands in 1967...

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 03:39:27 PM by Szabo »