Author Topic: Shelby Buildings- LAX - New: GT40 outside side open door Hangar 9  (Read 4468 times)

Szabo

• View Profile
Re: Shelby Buildings- LAX - New: King Cobra 67 and the little Gas Station on LAX
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2020, 06:17:31 PM »
Stephan,

It's really hard to pinpoint exactly where the door opening was located, as we never really see the entire race hanger facade from left to right. I do think your very close.

Hello Rich,

thanks for your comment,
i tryed to locate the Pics clearly to the ground, like in the old Forum with the George Watters Collection Pics

for the Pinpoint of the "Group VII open Gate" Pic i looked a another Bird View Pic from LAX,
you can see the soft Corners on Hangar 9 and you can see the Gates (closed)

and when you see this Pic from Inside the open door was left hand from the inner RaceShop (between Pillar CA3 - CA4)

the only thing was the Windows (we dont see that open one on the Bird View Pic) but from inside i know that
it was some clearly openings and some was closed / broken and just fixed with non visible material

last Point i really think is not hard proofed possible, but i really think they dont pull that chassis to long over the hot
tarmac, out of the Race Shop side door into a point where the sun is behind you for a quick pic.

please ignore the second red arrow on that Cobra, it was only for me and another thought

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 06:21:21 PM by Szabo »

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Re: Shelby Buildings- LAX - New: King Cobra 67 and the little Gas Station on LAX
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 08:41:14 PM »
OF COURSE...the aerial views...forehead slap. Thanks Stephan

As you said, we see the photo with the Group 7 race car showing the sliding garage door and windows popped open to the right side.
I guess the aerial (birds eye) view have all the windows closed and painted over. Perhaps later on the employees cleaned/scraped them off to allow light inside.

Yes, maybe it was pulled out over the tarmac and purposely rolled over to the side on the concrete for the photos and the daylight inspection /review.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2020, 07:34:04 AM »
The film Ford v. Ferrari, depicts Miles test driving GT40's on a course set up at the LA facility.

In looking at the photos, I realize that the proportion of the lot is not easy to put into perspective but is that actually true or was that a "Hollywood license" created to tell a story?

I don't see where that would have fit in unless it was kind of a Penske-Donahue, 200 ft skidpad, created in a back parking lot? Where was it? I don't see an obvious location.

I talked to Bruce Junor about that, he said that the LAX officials would have freaked if they saw that.  According to him, it never happened.

(Bruce was the SA production manager and the one responsible for setting up the production line/hangar at LAX)

I like the film a lot but it appears it is not something that anyone can refer to as historical documentation.

I have some sympathy for the authors attempting to tell a story. I get told by my sons that I tend to embellish a little myself? I have no idea what they are talking about though. I state only the facts. It's not my fault they are so difficult to believe?  :o
 ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2020, 02:09:15 PM »
I found another Pic from the rear side of the Raceshop (Hangar 9)

like the "Group VII" Pic it is the same Point,
not the big Hangar Gate on the front,
it is again the little side hangar door,
seems to often used that suggested for me...
when you count the open panel of the window on the Inside R Production
you will see that it is the same one on the GT40 Pic.
we see that soft corners, the side gate is open

but this time in beautiful colour of the 60s

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 02:12:25 PM by Szabo »

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Re: Shelby Buildings- LAX - New: GT40 outside side open door Hangar 9
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2020, 06:28:20 PM »
That's a great photo you found!!!

Is that an upside down Mercedes Benz logo?

I've never seen that logo on the car before. and there are several photos of the car at LAX (before Le Mans and without the black painted nose)

Szabo

• View Profile
Re: Shelby Buildings- LAX - New: GT40 outside side open door Hangar 9
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2020, 07:00:07 PM »
Yeah, this is a Mercedes Logo  ;)
(but not upside down)

i do a quick research on Nr. 7 on Le Mans, but early in the Race
it has the silver Hood, twin black stripes, but no Mercedes Logo
later on the race, it has a flat black Hood

when you have more Pics on LAX i would love to see them here
(i only know a pair or so befor 66 Le Mans shipping)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 07:46:16 PM by Szabo »