Author Topic: Shelby Buildings -LAX- New 10.02.24 - 4 new colored Pics May 65 w. Comparsion  (Read 22680 times)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Excellent, Steve!  Great contributions.

For those who aren't familiar, Eric Rickman was a Petersen staff photographer.  He worked on all of the company's magazines at the time.

So, that shoot could've been for Motor Trend, Hot Rod, Sports Car Graphic, or just for the company photo files.   
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

For those who aren't familiar, Eric Rickman was a Petersen staff photographer.  He worked on all of the company's magazines at the time.

So, that shoot could've been for Motor Trend, Hot Rod, Sports Car Graphic, or just for the company photo files.   

So in reply #28 the 4th and 6th images (the same image but the later having the inside "lightened") were they excavating the assembly line pit?  (Note the dump truck)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:45:44 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Damn JD, You have good eyes.   8)

Szabo

• View Profile
Hello JD,

maybe my english was not good enough, or i dont understand you question right.

But where you set the red Mark, this is the Production line Pit Lane
Maybe i used the rong term for describe that the Pit Lane is already there and not that it made in the moment of the shooting.

We clearly see no Excavator (Bagger in German) or some heavy machines,
only the Pick-up Truck / Dump Truck in the backround

Kindly regards

Stephan
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 06:09:08 PM by Szabo »

Szabo

• View Profile

Hello,

you were right ... after i check my mags i found this Pic again,
never befor i regonice that was on LAX but surley it is,
this Fence in the backround, it is behind the Blast Wall
and it had the same License Plate

68countrysedan

• View Profile
Historical fyi Addendum

Not only did Eric Rickman write and photograph a story on the GT350, but 32 years later in the February 1987 issue of Petersen's Mustang, he also wrote and photographed a story about the Saleen Mustang. Mustang history comes full circle.

Szabo

• View Profile
i want to share some Pics and thoughts with you for
more Details on LAX which maybe not so known

First i found some Pics from a King Cobra Projekt
with the Time Code "Late 67"

we see the Chassis from a King Cobra rolled out of the Garage but where
on LAX was it ?

because of the rounded Corner and it is a racecar it is cleary
Hangar 9 (Race-Shop) but not from the big Gate at the front,
it is from a little side Gate which can also open ...

2.Pic --- we can see it on front of the Hangar 9, left you see
the Blast Wall and you see a Gas Station (note that for a Moment)

and the finished King Cobra on Riverside 67

i sign it on the LAX Blueprint

The Second batch of Pics was about that Wall in the Backround and
the Gas Station ...

the Wall or better the Building
where the Wall belongs to, is build
after May or June 1965 because on the Air Pics from early Production
we cant see it.

somewhere i read that is was because of Energy or better
secure for electricity, but this not sure or proofed at this Moment

the Gas Station is better to describe and show in pics,
i tryed in correct Timecodes

1965: Ken Miles in Suit ???
surely not a normal Pic, maybe for Press or Promotion but for what ...
i found nothing for Chevron Gas or something like this.
Only with this Pic it is hard to know where it is on LAX, but note that Huge
Electric Pole Post in the Backround and of course the R-Models in the Backround

Second Pic show the same Gas Station and same Person but from a different angle and the GT350 on a
different position

Timecode ??? later of the First Pic

only some bad black/White Pics but shortly after the first one, same size of the Gas Pump and some stacked wood pallet
now it is easier to locate that Gas Station on LAX, we see the End of the Blast Wall and the Wall/Building

some bigger ones from the same Pic befor

the same timecode but in nicely colour, dont see anything of the Gas Station but you can see that big Pole again
and very nice to see the combination of Blast Wall, Wall and the Corner from Hangar 9(RaceShop) Building/Hangar

1967 the last one is from the King Cobra but you can clearly see different Gas Pump, better view of the wall/Building
and i can count three of this Tarmac/Cement Panels away from the Wall

and finally i do a simple skeetch in this early LAX Bird View

What do you think, tell me your thoughts

Question for me:

because of what Ken Miles wear a Suit and make some Press/Promo Pics ???

Greets from Germany

Stephan
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:10:04 PM by Szabo »

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby Buildings- LAX - New: King Cobra 67 and the little Gas Station on LAX
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 10:56:49 PM »
Steve,
Thanks for the additional analysis.  Yes, that is definitely Imperial Hwy in the background (south side) of the Chevron gas pump photos. 

That photo appears it was shot with a long lens, so the apartments in the background may seem close, but they are on the far side of Imperial.

My guess as to why Miles was in a suit would most likely be for a visit by Ford execs, dealers or the press.  Or his wife made him.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Re: Shelby Buildings- LAX - New: King Cobra 67 and the little Gas Station on LAX
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2020, 12:18:04 AM »
Stephan,
You appear to have a very good understanding of where the Chevron gas pumps were, as well as the location of the Can am race car on the west side of the Race Hanger #9.

(I don't think this race car was ever named as a King Cobra; noted in that one photo caption. I believe it was called a 'Shelby Group VII')
This yellow #55 raced at Riverside on October 29th 1967 in the Can Am series. I'm not sure it raced anywhere else. It disappeared at the end of the '67 season.

Your photo of the front sliding garage doors (south side of the race Hanger #9; with the Group VII race car) does not show clearly in the blueprint drawings. It's really hard to pinpoint exactly where the door opening was located, as we never really see the entire race hanger facade from left to right. I do think your very close.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2020, 12:19:38 AM »
Under "First Rollout at Shelby American Plant Los Angelos summer '67" photo,  is that Phil Remington second from the right?

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2020, 12:28:32 AM »
It certainly looks like it's him.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2020, 07:16:28 AM »
The film Ford v. Ferrari, depicts Miles test driving GT40's on a course set up at the LA facility.

In looking at the photos, I realize that the proportion of the lot is not easy to put into perspective but is that actually true or was that a "Hollywood license" created to tell a story?

I don't see where that would have fit in unless it was kind of a Penske-Donahue, 200 ft skidpad, created in a back parking lot? Where was it? I don't see an obvious location.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2020, 01:04:47 PM »
The film Ford v. Ferrari, depicts Miles test driving GT40's on a course set up at the LA facility.

In looking at the photos, I realize that the proportion of the lot is not easy to put into perspective but is that actually true or was that a "Hollywood license" created to tell a story?

I don't see where that would have fit in unless it was kind of a Penske-Donahue, 200 ft skidpad, created in a back parking lot? Where was it? I don't see an obvious location.

There a bunch of scenes were they take a creative license and mix things up. I haven't found any evidence SAI tested any race cars at LAX, only a handful of photos showing Shelby Mustangs.
Here's a photo showing the test track area.
There's also a video showing CS in a 67 GT350 driving spirited, yet he is on the south side of the blast wall zipping around the back lot area in a wider circle.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2020, 01:22:09 PM »

I talked to Bruce Junor about that, he said that the LAX officials would have freaked if they saw that.  According to him, it never happened.

(Bruce was the SA production manager and the one responsible for setting up the production line/hangar at LAX)
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2020, 05:36:49 PM »
Hello,

thanks for the question, but i agree with Richstang ...

maybe a person takes a wilder spin on the track and give some speed to the Shelby but no Raceing in the Film,
you can see some dust in the air from the Peterson GT350 driving on the early LAX Pic
and the Rolling Shoot from the GT Roadster on the Open Hause Event 1965
or the Rolling Shoot from the 68 Advertising Convertible Prototyp

maybe this Customer gets a spin with CS on a GT40, but this is not HFII in the picture...

Shelby testet on Willow Spring or Riverside Raceway and because of haveing the oppotunity to make this it
was not necessary to make it on a active Aiportfield with start and landing of Planes like a Boeing