Author Topic: Shelby Buildings - LAX - Hangar 9 ( ShowCar / RaceShop ) Outside Tour  (Read 735 times)

Szabo

• View Profile
Thank you both for your replys

I think everyone can say a little bit, i am happy when answers come in, even some thougts are
interessting for me...

Thx Richstangs for the Timecode, i even make Editīs on the original thread, only a few hours befor i drive to BMW Meeting  ;)

Szabo

• View Profile
Hello again,

after a few days i will come back with my work on Hangar 9 (Show Car / Race Shop) on LAX

This Hangar took me busy for a while, the outside was not a big problem, but the inside took me some days
and even nights.

So first we make a little outside tour ...

right after the Sales Office at the Entrance you can see directly on the big gate from Hangar 9

We see the first details like the backside of Sales Office was lower at the the front side ...
an on the Hangar we see it is very dark inside, not much light inside

and we see some big white shields with direction on it.

on the next one some GT350 but we can look in the Hangar and even trough the backside out again...
when we come to the inside this would be interessting...

Not that a few glass Windows of the Gates are broken or have damaged

and we have a quick look at the ramp on the right side.

on this pic we see it a little bit clearer ...

we can see this loading ramp in the backside of the Daytona Coupe

when we go behind the Edge we see the open under roof section from the former buisness on LAX

on this early pic we see in the backround is some work going on ...
We have no Paint Booth Boxes like on later pics
Anyone have a Timecode for this Pic ???

on the later Pics (Open House Day) the Paint Booth Boxes was installed like on the blueprint plan shown.

Here a closer look on the Paint Boxes

between the Boxes and the side gate from hangar 9 we see another little corrugated iron Shack
than comes the Side Gate and shortly after the outside paint boxes ...

on the street was some marking stripes and when we look at this pic we can read it ... NO SMOKING

after the Paint Boxes to the edge of Building, which was closed and not open i have no pics but on the edge
to the backside was some action going on...

on this early Pics we see a transporter standing and even a USRCC Cobra

on a later pic we see some work is going on ...

and on this pic from the backside we can see there is a Wall of white brickets ... i dont know what was
behind the wall or even there was another small building build...

on this last Pic from Outside we can see there was some gas pumps on the Aera...
in the backround we see this huge electricity trafos ... and so we know that this Pic was made right behind
Hangar 9

I will finished here for the first time, i go to the inside in a few moments

Edith, the outside overview

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 04:55:22 PM by Szabo »

honker

• View Profile
Re: Shelby Buildings - LAX - Hangar 9 ( ShowCar / RaceShop ) Outside Tour
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 06:18:56 PM »
Szabo, great thread ! this one and the others, you have put a lot of work into this  8)

You probably know this one, a more recent (not sure of the date) image. looks like the grading is changed at the delivery doors as well, what side of the building is this ?

Mike
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:27:06 PM by honker »

Side-Oilers

• SAAC member since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 11:01:11 PM »
Another great job of everything, Steve!   The details are wonderful.

As for this photo, in the background, does anyone know why two or three notchbacks were there?  They look like vinyl top cars.  Or are they convertibles with their tops up? 

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:08:16 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
1968 GT500KR owner since 1982
Kirkham Cobra 427

CharlesTurner

• View Profile

EDIT: Thx to Richstangs this Pic was made late November / early December 1965 after some
salt damage on Bonneville Racing

That's SFM5S304 to the right in the picture.  Work started on that car May 20, 1965 and was completed May 26, 1965.  Narrows the possible timeline by just a few days.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 02:39:14 PM »
Szabo, great thread ! this one and the others, you have put a lot of work into this  8)

You probably know this one, a more recent (not sure of the date) image. looks like the grading is changed at the delivery doors as well, what side of the building is this ?

Mike

I think this must be the new front side from Hangar 8 ... the building was heavy modified over the years but look actual
my screenshot is just a few weeks old from 2019

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2019, 03:12:00 PM »
Another great job of everything, Steve!   The details are wonderful.

As for this photo, in the background, does anyone know why two or three notchbacks were there?  They look like vinyl top cars.  Or are they convertibles with their tops up?

i found a pic we can see this a little bit closer ... all this Stangs are standing on the "Company Cars" Parking Lot, which about 20 Cars
so found on the Blueprint from Lax

on another Pic we see one more Hardtop standing next to the Cobra

(all Pics from Open House Event 6-8 June 65)

cob4ra

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 03:56:07 PM »
Fantastic pictures; I’m wondering if anyone has any pictures of the Hertz Cars outside like these 65 pictures?
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!