News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Unrestored but nice '66 on BaT

Started by 2112, July 12, 2019, 11:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Quote from: Brent on July 17, 2019, 03:12:20 AM
One photo I found interesting is the engine compartment. I've never seen shock towers with holes cut out for, what I'm assuming, is to provide UCA zerk fitting access. Was this a mod done before the 90-degree fittings became available?

Yes its done for access to the owner added zert fittings. Most of the time they are not that pretty.

Plenty of owners don't like messing with the 90 degree angle or crawling under the car. Done this way its allot easier so owners of early Mustangs continue to do this 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bobby Crumpley

I'm impressed that someone went to the trouble of using a hole saw or knockout punch.  Almost everyone that I've seen was done with a torch...
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com

TOBKOB

QuoteI'm impressed that someone went to the trouble of using a hole saw or knockout punch.  Almost everyone that I've seen was done with a torch...
+1... not very pretty... ::)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

sfm5s081

Quote from: TOBKOB on July 17, 2019, 09:02:50 AM
QuoteI'm impressed that someone went to the trouble of using a hole saw or knockout punch.  Almost everyone that I've seen was done with a torch...
+1... not very pretty... ::)

TOB

+1, it's just how they did things back then. I've seen it on many other cars as well

shelbymann1970

Quote from: gt350hr on July 16, 2019, 11:40:22 AM
  Craig's ( McPaxtonman) comments (IMHO) are valid and the current owner has actual had several addressed if you read carefully. Tune up , valve work , straightened the under ride bars ( or replaced).  Sour grapes? Not Craig. I would bet he has owned close to 100 Shelbys by now including a '65 R Model.
     The information regarding the front attaching point for the leaf springs is very important and the average inspector" probably wouldn't look at that area. In my case I have drag raced 6S477 for 45 years and can tell you right where to look for "stress points" and signs of abuse. Mine certainly has them. In the case of 1124 I would call it "abuse" as there are ( to me) not enough signs of drag racing serious enough to cause those issues.
    1124 none the less remains a nice car , FAR better than many with large amounts of panel replacement. A little more work would improve it more.
   Randy
I was wondering if mcpaxtonman was Craig. Thanks Randy. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

pmustang

I've had more than a few with the holes for greasing up the area. Many are done with god knows what, Looks like a big rat chewed the hole. I have been able to clean up some with a dremel and use a seat nut access plug or similar to cover it up nicely. Have a few in new that are done perfectly with a hole saw of some sort.

Peter

papa scoops

ford did have a service kit for greasing these. it,s what I've always used. no holes. phred

gt350hr

Mine are still plugged. Guess I don't rack up many miles 1/4 mile at a time LOL. 53 years and still under 87,000 original.
       Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bigfoot

Looked like a nice piece. Decent price point
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI