Author Topic: Unrestored but nice '66 on BaT  (Read 7699 times)

cob4ra

• View Profile
Re: Unrestored but nice '66 on BaT
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 06:00:18 PM »
What did the post say ? Best you can recall??
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2019, 06:07:09 PM »
What did the post say ? Best you can recall??

I think t was deleted cause it was tagged by several people as being non-constructive, not BaT deleted.

It said he inspected the car a few years back and the rear spring perch area was suspect. I think he meant at the frame rails.

Somebody else backed that up and that post is still standing.

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 06:47:54 PM »
Ok, I was just talking to a friend about this and he said that if a whole lot of people flag a comment it will be flagged. My error, but IMHO this is still a flaw with BAT. I’d love to say I’ll get 20 minutes of my life back every day and boycott BAT but who am I kidding!

Back on topic though, an opinion (a very constructive one which many people have paid a lot of money to get from this guy) was deleted from someone who just provided the BAT community his very well respected view for free.

Once again nothing is perfect but maybe BAT could actually read a comment and determine if it is in fact non constructive.  However as you did point out the other comments are still standing.

The car looks nice and I hope it stays in So. Cal.  I would love to see it in person.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 01:00:42 AM »
I think Mcpaxtonman's comment was factual, but a little harsh in tone.

In my opinion, if he could have shared the same information with a little more sensitivity to the fact it is somebody's else's auction it might not have been flagged. I am not sure how many flags it takes to get a comment deleted, I am guessing 3-4.

BTW, I did not flag it. I have never flagged a comment. I thought it was an informative post myself.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »
I think Mcpaxtonman's comment was factual, but a little harsh in tone.

In my opinion, if he could have shared the same information with a little more sensitivity to the fact it is somebody's else's auction it might not have been flagged. I am not sure how many flags it takes to get a comment deleted, I am guessing 3-4.

BTW, I did not flag it. I have never flagged a comment. I thought it was an informative post myself.
interesting discussion about flagging. If only 3 or 4 a seller could easily manipulate comments....Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 03:39:49 PM »
I too have never flagged a comment. Like most everything else BAT is just a tool for any buyer to use.
Didn’t realize so few people could get a post deleted. The best advice today for any buyer is the same as it ever was.  Hire a Shelby expert!

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 06:25:56 PM »
What’s interesting though is that BAT quickly deleted a comment from someone who KNOWS these cars. I think it’s a neat looking car but BAT loses credibility with me when they do stuff like that.

Wurd
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2019, 06:33:55 PM »
It’s my car. Gotta love the “experts” on BAT. It’s entertaining though

If it's your car how do you respond to the statements made by McPaxtonman? Disregarding his aggressive response are the facts true?
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2019, 11:25:25 PM »
The flagged comments were restored.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 11:40:22 AM »
  Craig's ( McPaxtonman) comments (IMHO) are valid and the current owner has actual had several addressed if you read carefully. Tune up , valve work , straightened the under ride bars ( or replaced).  Sour grapes? Not Craig. I would bet he has owned close to 100 Shelbys by now including a '65 R Model.
     The information regarding the front attaching point for the leaf springs is very important and the average inspector" probably wouldn't look at that area. In my case I have drag raced 6S477 for 45 years and can tell you right where to look for "stress points" and signs of abuse. Mine certainly has them. In the case of 1124 I would call it "abuse" as there are ( to me) not enough signs of drag racing serious enough to cause those issues.
    1124 none the less remains a nice car , FAR better than many with large amounts of panel replacement. A little more work would improve it more.
   Randy

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 02:30:02 PM »
I try to stay as active as possible as a buyer and or a seller. I really enjoy the haters and people trying to knock whatever it is. The side line guys, armchair quarterbacks, people taking cheap shots. The car is over 50 years old, they were sold new as race cars and they were anything but "grocery getters." So most of them have lived a rough life. The whole #s matching trend now is really on the rise. Same thing with Porsche 356s, Corvettes, etc. Yeah, the original engine was removed day 1, and shelved... Riiiiiight. In the case of 1124 the car was driven, enjoyed and maintained. It really does have the original drive line and it's been verified. It's a hell of an original, Ca car. Of course there are some bumps, scrapes, and whatever else comes with a car of it's age. I am not representing the car as a perfect car. In fact none of them really are. They weren't perfect cars from the factory. Everybody wants something for nothing- I get it. The people who cry the loudest are the chickens hiding in the peanut gallery with no money. The same guys who try to talk crap about you when you are leaving with their woman, or in this case the car they missed out on. It happens, no big deal. Of course I welcome any inspection. But to sit back like a little *itch and cry, while trying to take cheap shots from a new on-line account; well, that's just not cool.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 05:09:56 PM »
   Thanks for the history lesson on these cars. What makes me think you weren't born by '66? Good luck with your sale.

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 06:10:08 PM »
I totally get this as I sell classic Mustangs here in the UK

"The people who cry the loudest are the chickens hiding in the peanut gallery with no money."

I have a few idiots who harass me on Ebay about my prices....only up to the point that the car they are moaning is overpriced then sells and isn't on Ebay anymore

Good luck with your sale.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:08:21 AM by pmustang »

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 07:01:57 PM »
Opinions are like, oh well, you know the saying.

66TotalPerf

• SAAC Member
  • 66 GT350 Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2019, 03:12:20 AM »
Beautiful '66! Love the green/gold combo and its driven history!

One photo I found interesting is the engine compartment. I've never seen shock towers with holes cut out for, what I'm assuming, is to provide UCA zerk fitting access. Was this a mod done before the 90-degree fittings became available?

Good luck with the sale!
-Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute, '66 F100 4x4