News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

SAAC 44 was amazing

Started by Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas, July 13, 2019, 10:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Sitting in the hotel this evening and thinking back over the last few days, I have to say that SAAC 44 was amazing. All the naysayers and negativity that was predicted never materialized.  Okay on Thursday there was a small monsoon that soaked everything, but the sun came out and everything dried out. One of the more amazing things I did was to volunteer to help with registrations. You get to meet new people and old friends, legends and first timers, you get to handle the paperwork, the merchandise and to see people's eyes light up when they realized they have arrived, gotten their "stuff" and are ready to display their car, prepare to drive and generally have a great time.
I got to drive on the track, watch someone beg people to drive his Cobra and take a kid for ride, I wandered through the swap meet area and saw stuff I wanted, stuff I had no real use for, but wanted anyway. We got to drive on the Poker Run seeing parts of Pennsylvania that I never knew existed and will probably never see again and with a little help from a PA DOT "detour" we saw parts of the route not really intended, but we all made it back to the track safe and sound.
On Saturday I asked if they needed help with the Car Show registration and it was even better than the SAAC registration, putting names with faces, explaining the scoring, having so many cars show up that we actually ran out of the printed envelopes and registration forms. I looked over field of cars, Cobra's both classic and continuation, GT40's, GT350's, GT500's, KR's, new models, every size and shape imaginable. Then to hear at the award ceremony that it was one of the largest gatherings in perhaps 20 years was the icing on the cake.
Evenings were spent in the parking lot at the hotel, we had two areas blocked off and seeing the cars, meeting  the people and hearing the stories made you wish the nights could gone one forever so we could see everything
Hanging around in the lobby and seeing people like Lee Holman, Chuck Cantwell and even this evening Tom Yeager stopped by our table and told us some amazing stories. What other convention offers this kind of up close and personal times with these legends of the history of all Shelby.
Seeing SAAC and Team Shelby showed to me that the love for all that Shelby created is as strong and even perhaps stronger as the new cars are introducing more and more people to the Shelby world and SAAC continues to set a standard with its Concours Judging.
Anyone who missed this years convention will be kicking themselves in their butts for years to come
Thanks to all for letting me help, thanks to all for sharing you cars and thanks to all for embracing and sharing your passion for all things Shelby, can't wait for next year
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

69bosssvt

Do it now...sometimes "LATER" becomes "NEVER"....

Shelby_r_b

I couldn't agree more, Steve. This was only my second SAAC convention, and it was amazing. The turnout was probably 3 times my previous convention - same for the vendors. I had a fantastic time! I just wish I had put on sunscreen sooner! 😉

It was great to see people I knew and meet those for which I've only met via the forum or phone. Truly, it made me rethink an annual commitment to attend every convention. It was that good. Hats off to all involved. You did a stellar job!

IMHO - anyone who believes the hobby or SAAC are declining is flat out wrong. In the end, the people make the cars versus the other way around. And, so long as people stay passionate and are willing to share with others (knowledge, etc.), there's no reason to believe this won't carry on for years to come.

Cheers!
Nothing beats a classic!

1109RWHP

I think there were over 146 cars in the show. The whole place was much improved since I was there for SAAC 34.  Got to see a lot of cars that were new to me. There were even two new Ford GT's there.

Corey Bowcutt

This was my very first convention so I have nothing to reference it to but I had a blast.  I was able to meet some of the guys who have quietly and probably unknowingly help me so much over the past few years, still looking forward to meeting the Coral Snake though. The cruise though shortened because of the monsoon was still a lot of fun as well as the poker run. This was also my first time on any track with any car doing parade laps.  What a major blast! The car show was amazing. I so very rarely get to see a single Shelby let alone hundreds and each one nicer than the next.  Just a tremendous experience and my hat is off to all involved in putting it on.  I will certainly attend every one in the future that is in driving distance anyway.
Corey

Side-Oilers

Very glad to hear there was a strong turn-out of people and cars! 

My last SAAC was the CA event in '13.  I thought that event seemed to have a light turnout, but it's a big facility, so that might have been just my perception.  Of course, nothing will ever match the mega-SAAC-shows of the 1980s.  That was a golden era.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Cobrask8

THAT....................... Was a convention!!!!

Steve - Thank you so much for helping us out in the car show, you were a life saver!!!! Become part of the staff!

Still have to unpack, but tired, happy, tired. One of the best conventions in years.

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on July 13, 2019, 10:08:43 PM
Sitting in the hotel this evening and thinking back over the last few days, I have to say that SAAC 44 was amazing. All the naysayers and negativity that was predicted never materialized.  Okay on Thursday there was a small monsoon that soaked everything, but the sun came out and everything dried out. One of the more amazing things I did was to volunteer to help with registrations. You get to meet new people and old friends, legends and first timers, you get to handle the paperwork, the merchandise and to see people's eyes light up when they realized they have arrived, gotten their "stuff" and are ready to display their car, prepare to drive and generally have a great time.
I got to drive on the track, watch someone beg people to drive his Cobra and take a kid for ride, I wandered through the swap meet area and saw stuff I wanted, stuff I had no real use for, but wanted anyway. We got to drive on the Poker Run seeing parts of Pennsylvania that I never knew existed and will probably never see again and with a little help from a PA DOT "detour" we saw parts of the route not really intended, but we all made it back to the track safe and sound.
On Saturday I asked if they needed help with the Car Show registration and it was even better than the SAAC registration, putting names with faces, explaining the scoring, having so many cars show up that we actually ran out of the printed envelopes and registration forms. I looked over field of cars, Cobra's both classic and continuation, GT40's, GT350's, GT500's, KR's, new models, every size and shape imaginable. Then to hear at the award ceremony that it was one of the largest gatherings in perhaps 20 years was the icing on the cake.
Evenings were spent in the parking lot at the hotel, we had two areas blocked off and seeing the cars, meeting  the people and hearing the stories made you wish the nights could gone one forever so we could see everything
Hanging around in the lobby and seeing people like Lee Holman, Chuck Cantwell and even this evening Tom Yeager stopped by our table and told us some amazing stories. What other convention offers this kind of up close and personal times with these legends of the history of all Shelby.
Seeing SAAC and Team Shelby showed to me that the love for all that Shelby created is as strong and even perhaps stronger as the new cars are introducing more and more people to the Shelby world and SAAC continues to set a standard with its Concours Judging.
Anyone who missed this years convention will be kicking themselves in their butts for years to come
Thanks to all for letting me help, thanks to all for sharing you cars and thanks to all for embracing and sharing your passion for all things Shelby, can't wait for next year

Steve, I wish that there was a drink or pill or anything that we could give SAAC members that would make them experience the "feeling" you get by volunteering.

The wife and I have attended four conventions now and started volunteering after the first one. It is my opinion that if you haven't volunteered you are missing half the conversation. The things you see and here behind the scenes can't be described with words.

Glad to see you enjoyed "herding the cats"

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on July 13, 2019, 10:39:06 PM
IMHO - anyone who believes the hobby or SAAC are declining is flat out wrong.

Couldn't agree more this ain't over

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

shelbymann1970

My FIRST convention in 20 years. I got to meet some new people and "old" friends I haven't met yet in person(Dan for one).  The amount of "old" cars  there impressed me. Glad so many brought theirs out. Thanks to all of those who worked hard on putting the convention on. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Rodster-500

How much of the success was due to teaming up with Team Shelby?

I saw an article in a local Pittsburgh paper and the majority of the comments about the outing were regarding Team Shelby.

If this partnership is a key to the success and longevity of SAAC maybe it's time to throw some support to TS?

charlie D

Hats off to everyone who worked to organize and manage SAAC 44. That was a great event. Always something interesting to do, see, people to meet. The enthusiasm was contagious. Great job everyone!
Charlie D

I believe that the combination of Team Shelby and SAAC was as successful as a Texas chicken farmer with a bad heart putting an American V8 in a British sports. Many would say it shouldn't work but the results proved otherwise. Maybe the recipe for even more success in the future
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

gt350man

Steve, just getting around to checking the forum.  Extremely well put!  It was great seeing you again at both SAAC and at the Pgh Vintage Grand Prix also.  I think the turnout was great and as a long-time SAAC member myself, I think teaming with Team Shelby was a big success and should certainly be considered moving forward.  The more the merrier!!!  Heck, many of us have vintage as well as new Shelbys anyway.  Great job to everyone -- thanks for all of the hard work.
1965 GT350 #431
1965 ERA Cobra with original 427 Side Oiler (625 HP)
1968 GT350 #760
2006 GT-H #20
1964 Sunbeam Tiger #336
1964 1/2 Mustang convertible -12th day of production
1989 Saleen SSC #94

Enjoyed the Walnut Street Show and the Vintage Grand Prix, my only complaint is there is not enough time to see it all. Even in the high heat I walked around for hours on Saturday and barely got to see as much as I wanted. Never made to the "American Hill", too much to see and do
Thanks for the invite, it was a great two weeks

outlawincorporated

i agree that the event and facility was great, needless to say the weather on Friday and Saturday was nothing but perfect. some very nice and expensive cars on display throughout the arena..... what amazed me was the commitment people and businesses put into there race cars some of those set ups are big bucks even before the cars.

also like looking at the trailers and rigs these classics arrive in, not something we have here in Australia. 

great to meet some old friends and build new friendships with others who I have connected with through this forum.
bring on the 2020 event is all I can say.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.