News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

SAAC 45 location?

Started by silverton_ford, July 15, 2019, 02:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Someone horked our clothes
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Stillakid54

Quote from: CF-105 on July 21, 2019, 06:27:18 PM
I was pushing for Mosport. About time we had a Canadian location!

+1
68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

shelbydoug

Quote from: Stillakid54 on July 22, 2019, 01:22:08 PM

+1

Canada will let us in but unless you have an enhanced US Drivers license or Passport, the US won't let you back in.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

acman63

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 22, 2019, 04:42:26 PM

+1

Canada will let us in but unless you have an enhanced US Drivers license or Passport, the US won't let you back in.

Can you imagine that?  you need proper paperwork to get in!
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

shelbydoug

Quote from: acman63 on July 22, 2019, 04:51:10 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on July 22, 2019, 04:42:26 PM

+1

Can you imagine that?  you need proper paperwork to get in!

Sure everyone wants to come here to go on welfare. Some people look more suspicious then others. I know what you look like. You're maybe 50/50.  ;)

It could be worse? Remember "Born in East LA"? Cheech lost his drivers license so they thought he was a wetback.

You could do what Bruce Willis did in the remake of "The Jackel". Buy a boat in Canada and dock in a US marina but you'd have to leave the car in Canada?  ;D

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

69mach351w

Bigfoot

It's been a while since we did WGI....
They had just paved the rock "pasture" ,...secondary lot near paddock. And repaved right up to the garages. That was cool. I was the first to pull up on it. The guy said " don't go back and forth to get straight with ur garage number,...the asphalt was just done."
They didn't want us to tear it up with the Trailers.

Not the track repaving but the lot.
That was 7-8 years ago.
Another Convention there would be epic.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bill

Quote from: Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas on July 18, 2019, 04:11:49 PM
Marlboro Speedway, all it needs is a little cleaning up, you know the the usual, move trees, repave track, clean up the millions of broken beer bottles, rebuild grandstands, etc.
I'm sure it's available.
On the positive, there are no good hotels near by, no good restaurants, no parking and as a plus it floods when we get a lot of rain, did I mention it has no restrooms
But it's available

Well, if we are going in that direction, what about resurrecting Vineland Speedway

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Bill

Of course if you don't want to do a little clean up work on a closed track, there is always Carolina Motorsport Park

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

shelbydoug

Don't we need to wait for our new partner, Team Shelby to weigh in?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CSX 4133

As long as we throwing out "ideas" the powers that be could consider Savannah Raceway (Hutchison Island)Ga. The Westin Hotel has a huge facility within 300 yards of the track (most people use golf carts between facilities.) There is a wide variety of things to see and do, Savannah and  Hilton Head for shopping, sightseeing, beaches and great seafood.
And SAAC 45 could piggyback onto the existing SVRA vintage race at the same facilities, but this occurs in October, if that is an issue.

terlingua11

What if you did something totally outside of the box and rented a smaller facility that we would have total control of. In a location that doesn't demand top dollar. So then the club could dictate what it wanted to do. From the vintage races, to open track for the less skilled drivers and tours or destination drives. Then the car show on concourse could be held without distraction and evening presentations would be easy to find accommodations as this would be the only thing happening at the time.

Just a thought. Might be like the early conventions when we didn't have to piggy back anything. More time to talk to your fellow enthusiast. More ability to have centralized activities. More of a grass roots convention.

I get it, not in a prime location with other things to do, however we are there to see and drive the cars. You could pick something smack dab in the middle of the US like....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorsport_Park_Hastings

And it doesn't have to be in the middle of no where either. You just need to pick a smaller track that doesn't demand a lot of money or attention-
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

Shelby6t5 Mike HHI, SC

Quote from: CSX 4133 on July 23, 2019, 11:03:25 AM

As long as we throwing out "ideas" the powers that be could consider Savannah Raceway (Hutchison Island)Ga. The Westin Hotel has a huge facility within 300 yards of the track (most people use golf carts between facilities.) There is a wide variety of things to see and do, Savannah and  Hilton Head for shopping, sightseeing, beaches and great seafood.
And SAAC 45 could piggyback onto the existing SVRA vintage race at the same facilities, but this occurs in October, if that is an issue.

+1, Venue & Hotel are excellent.  Indoor Convention space was used for judging during the last MCA National held there. Track is great, Free Ferries to Savannah (across the river) run often.

Mike

69bosssvt

http://www.dominionraceway.com/
Brand new facility in 2016-17 great facilities...nice track(s)
Always looking to team up with car clubs like ours...
Do it now...sometimes "LATER" becomes "NEVER"....

Cobrask8

Terlingua, I have been asking the board that for years. We don't need a "Name" facility. Or lavish digs. There are many smaller locations, and as you say, get back in control of our conventions. Another area is to do a serious look at the finances, and I am sure areas of spending could be curtailed. My ideas of NJMP Beach Party and Chicago at Autobahn are both much lower cost, and could be a blast, but fell on deaf ears.

Grass Roots time. Just the Shelby Clubs. More local group involvement. It can and needs to be done.

The people and the cars will make the event good. A fun track will make speedy folks happy. Places for a fun tour, good eats, and another killer car show will seal the deal. Even just one day at the track, make the hotel the center of the convention. Make it social. Fun. Warm. Basic.