News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 GT350 Blower Motor Shield

Started by Corey Bowcutt, July 16, 2019, 07:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

At SAAC 44 someone asked me why I did not have the "shield" around the blower motor that protrudes into the engine bay from the firewall on the passenger side.  I tried to look at other GT350's at the convention but did not have a huge sample of 68 350's to look at but none there had it.  I did see them on several 67 GT350s there.  Can anyone tell me if a mid February 68 Gt350 would in fact have this shield or not.

Thank you,

Corey

Peter L.

Was that not only found on the 500's and KR's ? (big blocks)
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68stangcjfb

As far as I know, that Shield is only used on Big Blocks.  And in the most technical sense, if it's not there, you should not be knocked points off in Concourse classes because the line workers were supposed to remove it before the car came off the assembly line to be reused on other cars coming down the line. This almost never happened because it's such a pain to take off after the engine is actually in the car.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68stangcjfb on July 16, 2019, 09:34:42 AM
As far as I know, that Shield is only used on Big Blocks.  And in the most technical sense, if it's not there, you should not be knocked points off in Concourse classes because the line workers were supposed to remove it before the car came off the assembly line to be reused on other cars coming down the line. This almost never happened because it's such a pain to take off after the engine is actually in the car.
The shield was used on both big blocks and small blocks of the 67-68 Shelby variety. With that said ,it was typically taken of off of the small block because it was easy to get to. The bigblock had a tight engine compartment and it was more difficult to get to the shield fashioners. It didn't matter functionally or cosmetically if they left it on so most were left on the BB. No harm no foul. On a 67 GT350 it is more common to see the shield still installed then not. On 68 GT350 it is the opposite.They were still seen but the majority had them taken off it seems.  Given that they were were not typically left on we don't typically do deductions if missing on a SB 67/68. We will however take a small deduction if it never looks like it was ever  there. ;)  There would typically be a witness line, impressions ,scuffs ,missing sound deadener ,etc. in the areas of the fashioners.  The same goes for the transport tie downs.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68stangcjfb

I was not aware of their use on small block cars. Did all the plants use them? And am I correct in assuming this is also a Mustang Cougar thing also? Not just Shelby's? Did this apply to AC and non AC cars? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to expand my knowledge base. Thanks.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Corey Bowcutt

This has all been very interesting.  I would love to know what it would actually shield against during an engine installation.  It looks too flimsy to provide much protection against a heavy engine mishap?

But thanks for all the help.

Corey

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68stangcjfb on July 16, 2019, 11:32:45 AM
I was not aware of their use on small block cars. Did all the plants use them? And am I correct in assuming this is also a Mustang Cougar thing also? Not just Shelby's? Did this apply to AC and non AC cars? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to expand my knowledge base. Thanks.
As I mentioned in my post it was in regards to "67-68 Shelby variety" I have only ever noticed the shield on GT350's (besides all big blocks)and the vast majority were 67 GT350's not regular Mustangs. Just haven't studied the regular Mustangs as much as the Shelby's.  I am not sure why they were used on the GT350. There is a shield specific for AC cars and one for non AC cars . There is a shield specific to 67/68 and another style for 69/70. The difference on the AC vs Non AC is a long finger that sticks out for the wrapped AC expansion valve and hoses to be protected. The non AC version ether has the finger bent down to cover the blower motor or alternatively sniped off. Initially I believe there was a effort to distinguish one from another depending on application .  As they got reused I think ether one got stuck on regardless of AC or non AC application.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on July 16, 2019, 12:42:18 PM
This has all been very interesting.  I would love to know what it would actually shield against during an engine installation.  It looks too flimsy to provide much protection against a heavy engine mishap?

But thanks for all the help.

Corey
Yes they are stout enough to help deflect a engine slightly swinging or as it is coming down into position during installation.Been there done tha;) . I don't think that they were designed to protect against the full weight of a engine dropping from any height. 

gt350hr

Bob ,
      The Big blocks and all the varieties are well documented. Are there any pictures or information on the small block version. I don't recall ever seeing one.
I got some schooling on '69 Shelbys with Magnums so I am ready to be schooled on heater motor shields for '68 small blocks now.
   Forever a student,
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: gt350hr on July 16, 2019, 05:14:19 PM
   Bob ,
      The Big blocks and all the varieties are well documented. Are there any pictures or information on the small block version. I don't recall ever seeing one.
I got some schooling on '69 Shelbys with Magnums so I am ready to be schooled on heater motor shields for '68 small blocks now.
   Forever a student,
      Randy
Randy,these are observations that I have had over the years. I have never read anything that explains it .   

Coralsnake

Should it be there? Maybe.

I would answer the question similar to Mr Gaines.

It was supposed to be removed, like the tie down brackets. Personally, I would not deduct as a judge if it was not there. I also would not deduct for one being present unless it was incorrect or incorrectly installed.