News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Need rear valance exhaust port template or dimensions

Started by torinocj, July 16, 2019, 10:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torinocj

I am looking for a template or dimensions for cutting a rear valance for the exhaust port.

Corey Bowcutt

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on July 17, 2019, 08:26:19 AM
Is this for any particular year?
I believe he is looking for a template to use when cutting out for the center exhaust port on the 69/70 Shelby based on the category this is posted in.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

torinocj

That is correct, I have a 69 and need to cut the valance for the exhaust port.

aj

My rear valence is on my work bench so I took a few measurements.  Certain this is the original valence. Curved shaped doesn't lend itself to a simple A x B dimension so I'll give some reference dimensions. 

Opening is centered in middle. The vertical cuts are 11 1/2" apart (ie 5.75" from centerline of valence).

The lower horizontal cut line is 2 1/4" above the lower edge of the valence. 

The upper cut line is 1" below upper edge of the valence.  Upper cut line is also along same line as the subtle crease that runs horizontally 1" below upper edge of valence.

Lower 2 corners are crisp 90 degree angles while upper 2 corners are slightly radiused (approx 1/4 radius)

The result is an opening with flat plane measurement of  11 1/2" x 4 7/8" when measured using a ruler or tape.

I'm not sure what tool was used to make the cut but appears it wasn't snips.  I can see evidence of cutting tool about 1/16 wide so maybe a saw ????   But saw couldn't have created the radius in upper corners.

The photo is  illusion making the vertical cuts look curved but they are straight. 

torinocj

Thanks very much for taking the time to do that aj, that is extremely helpful.

aj

No prob.  With cutout, the valence is flimsy in the middle so I have mine zip tied to a section of PVC to prevent kinking it while off car.