Author Topic: My GT350 time to offer best ideas help  (Read 2922 times)

cob4ra

• View Profile
My GT350 time to offer best ideas help
« on: July 17, 2019, 12:27:35 PM »
After almost 23 years of this Shelby’s  ownership the agreement at home is to look for the right venue or publication to list my very original California black and gold plated Shelby ; I’ve been watching our community also BAT or one of the big auctions ; and just word of mouth with the wonderful Shelby enthusiasts I’ve met ; this is a heart felt question for my fellow enthusiasts and their experiences here ; thanks everyone
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: My GT350 time to offer best ideas help
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 12:43:55 PM »
First I want to say, it is awesome that you have enjoyed and been caretaker of the car for 23 years and now you are ready to let someone else have the opportunity.  So many times people hold on to a vehicle because they give it human traits due in part to memories. 

Your first and best option IMO is to offer it for sale on this forum which will spread by word of mouth and hopefully snag a new caretaker.  In the process of doing so, clean it up really good and get high-quality photos of it and post it here.  Make a list of what is original, what is not and what it needs.  Show the good and bad, come up with the number you would be happy with and not the "it's worth a zillion dollars because I love it so".  Get 3-4 opinions of its value if you really don't know.  Be somewhat flexible for the right buyer, I'm not suggesting giving it away but if you have owned it for 23 years I believe you want to see it go to a good home.  So many times people hold out for every nickel only to take a big hit 3-5 years later.

The second option is a venue like BAT or ebay but you are getting more involved and will have to be super accurate on the description as you do not want someone coming back on you for misrepresentation.  You also can't control who purchases it.

Third is an auction house.  This, in my opinion, is the least attractive because they will push for no reserve and the fee's are ridiculous IMO. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 02:36:50 PM »
Believe the first step and choice starts with you. No big surprise.

You don't need to answer these in public just reflect on them. Do you want to get every last cent from what the car is worth or would you be happy with a nice profit and a fair deal to both sides?

The answer to the question above often guides how long you will have the car up for sale and how many places you will be offering or advertising the car for sale in my experience.  In general you can't change the car nor its history at this point in time. Some thoughts I hope will help in your thought process asa you start through the process.

Looking at your car and if what I see in pictures carries through the whole car and there is no surprises, it appears that you should be able to find a new home quickly if priced right for you and the possible new owner. Its just about connecting you and the new owner and settling on a value for you.

Another option that might prove beneficial would be getting a sellers agent as they can, in some situations, increase your possible bottom line or just just make things easier. Of course you need to check that person and or company to confirm they are ones you want to do business with and that can mean more time invested but they can bring years or in some cases decades of experience and guidance if you find a good one. Should not be difficult to find one here on this site if you watch those that participate here on the forum as a start point.

What some sellers have done is to get a seller's inspection so that an independent set of experienced eyes have gone over the car first, maybe find issues that you might not even be aware of (NOT SUGGESTING THERE IS ANYTHING, JUST DISCUSSING POSSIBILITIES FOR ANY CAR), things that could quickly, easily addressed and a disinterested third party opinion.  If all is within reason this can offer some knowledge and comfort level to a potential buyer and keeps them from having to find and arranging an inspection themselves though they could certainly have a second one conducted.

Of course any thread would be remiss without mentioning the scammers and possibly others that will be contacting you also. Where there is money there are games and efforts to separate you from your $$$s.  The possibilities, angles and potential are numerous - just be careful.

I would expect that just by starting this thread you will get a number of PMs and emails about the car without doing any more.

I will leave others to offer their experience and stories as well as what worked for them there should be allot. Sorry for the long post

Good luck
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 03:02:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 05:45:42 PM »
I put a car on eBay, and will never do that again, I offered a car that was fair priced and it was a nice car. All I got was insulting questions, and even more insulting offers. (I mean 25K less). It was only a 60K car, and I was offered 35, and 40K. I ended up selling the car by word of mouth.
I think the best place would be here, I like to think that people on here actually "Like" these cars and know its not about the money. If your all about the highest cash offer then maybe playing the ebay or facebook games is best for you. (Look at that facebook 67 Shelby, a posted price, turned into highest offers).
Lets face it, the market is down, people are getting older that love these cars, and the new generation does not want to own anything anymore. If anything, they want new ones that smoke the older ones., Its hard even to fine someone who will work on them anymore.
RARE  Signature Delete

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 06:15:37 PM »
I sold a Shelby on ebay in one day for full asking price, and had 3 interested parties. It helped that I was "known" in the Shelby community, and the quality of the car spoke for itself. But ebay is cheap world-wide advertising.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 11:17:42 PM »
I've had better luck selling on Hemmings.com and in their magazine.  Recently sold two big-block Corvettes there.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

cob4ra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 11:36:12 PM »
Fantastic suggestions and great opinions gentlemen! I knew that our club would be the best to open up about such an important event in my enthusiast car life! After it being apart for 3 1/2 years to finalize its current level, its the right time for that discriminating new owner ! Thanks again Jeff and you others for food for thought!   Seems that some professional pictures are needed!! ( not my iPhone) lol ! 
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

cob4ra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 11:44:56 PM »
My friend side-oilers!! So funny that you mentioned that old Hemmings  !! I found this one advertised in Hemmings motor news in the big brown book in 96/ 97 !! I had the subscription and paid extra to get it early!! Lol The owner was very curt with me! It took two phone calls down to Ramona California; then to  to meet Ben Deness ( Shelby registry listed owner two ) !! The stories I could tell oh boy !!

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 06:16:52 AM »
I suspect you will already have site unseen offers for your car in your private message box as there are several dealers on the board that find post such as yours more than intriguing. Some of those will be fair offers, some will not, it will be up to you to decide who the legit people are and who the trolls are.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 07:44:11 PM »
Does it have the original Ca “EXEMPT” sticker in the bottom corner of the windshield?

cob4ra

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 08:24:38 PM »
Ah ! if your Shelby only had an original Sticker !! I’m sure you would never even get any speeding tickets on Jamboree rd and PCH when the light turns green! “ two cool sharks standing side By side “” !  “ but officer “ I’m Exempt “”

cob4ra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 11:44:00 AM »
First I would like to share my appreciation to everyone on our forum and their positive advice ; I listed My Beautiful Shelby here first ; it’s in our FOR SALE category , and if anything I missed or should correct on either the posting or the car ( trunk pictures to follow) please bring it up !       Thanks Jim