Author Topic: Steering Wheels  (Read 3292 times)

gimmea250swb

• View Profile
Steering Wheels
« on: July 19, 2019, 10:28:47 PM »
Forgive me for some newb questions.  The wheel in my 66 is cracked and I’ve had a couple comments that I need a good wheel.  I’m new to Shelbys so I’m here to learn.

What is the best original style (repo) wheel  for a 66?
How can you tell the difference between the best repo and an original?
Did Shelby or dealers offer nardi wheels?
If so, are these nardi wheels legit?
        https://wood-steering-wheels.com/shelby-2/

Thanks for your help!

67 GT350

• View Profile
Re: Steering Wheels
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 10:50:11 PM »
I have an over the counter wheel that I do not need....
RARE  Signature Delete

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 10:51:55 PM »
Considering that you have asked this question in the concours section what you likely should be looking for is the same wheel as used on the 65-66 Mustang for cars with the interior decor option. The plastic rimmed wheel. The center and the emblem are different from the Mustang

Will let others that have recently looked closely at the current crop of wheels comment on them
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 09:45:46 AM »
As Jeff stated, the "correct" steering wheel is the plastic woodgrain wheel.

I've seen a lot of "restorations" of these wheels over the past 40 years, and I personally have never seen a restoration that really matches the original look. The "restorations" that I have seen also eventually crack again.

There have been various reproductions available over the years that were not so great, but now we have one that I really like. The finish on the spokes and the color/grain on the woodgrain plastic looks really, really nice.  I would not hesitate to use this steering wheel on any high end restoration.

It comes complete except for the cap (we have a very nice reproduction of that too). Click on the picture.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

gimmea250swb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 10:24:30 AM »
Thank you Brant.  This looks like what I’m looking for.  I appreciate it.

Can you tell me if Nardi wheels were offered for a 66 at the factory or at dealers?  Since this is the concourse section, how would judges take it?

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 10:41:19 AM »
  If you are planning on entering Concours evens, then yes, you would want a perfect steering wheel.  But if not, chalk it up to "patina" and leave it as it s.

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 11:14:31 AM »
Been grabbing my cracked '66 wheel for 38 years. Gives me a place to rest my thumb.

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 11:36:21 AM »
Thank you Brant.  This looks like what I’m looking for.  I appreciate it.

Can you tell me if Nardi wheels were offered for a 66 at the factory or at dealers?  Since this is the concourse section, how would judges take it?

There were real wood steering wheels offered through Shelby American's parts division. There were a few variations over the years. I don't believe Nardi was the supplier.

I've got the style offered in '66 on 6S1732. I'll be glad to get you a picture if wanted. I cannot seem to find a picture right now.

As someone mentioned though, if your goal is Concours judging, you need the plastic woodgrain one. If not, get the one you like. :)
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »
How about 69 are they also plastic and you handle those as well

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 10:33:26 PM »
Been grabbing my cracked '66 wheel for 38 years. Gives me a place to rest my thumb.

Yup...
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 11:18:25 PM »
How about 69 are they also plastic

Yep... :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 12:44:37 AM »
There were also some real wood "66 style" steering wheels available through a couple of vendors quite a few years back.  I think they went for about $300 but I believe they are no longer available.  I actually have one that I acquired long before the reproductions were even advertised.  How it came to be I can't really say for sure.  I suppose a steering wheel restorer could remove the plastic and replace it with wood.  I saw one at SAAC 43 on a '66 Hertz.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »
Addressing the OP's concern about his crack OE steering wheel, I recall that many years back in Mustang Monthly, there was an article that described the process for restoring the cracks in these wheels.  I did a couple and they turned out quite nicely.
5S071, 6S1467