News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

headers for 427 FE Engine

Started by RSOHC, July 20, 2019, 10:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: vtgt500 on July 22, 2019, 04:27:53 PM
I've had 3 sets of Super Comps On my side oiler over the years.  Historically were poorly made.  Finally resolved fit and leak issues.  By design, the drivers side is unnecessarily low.  Car has manual steering.  Once visited with Kooks regarding custom, stainless headers.  They wanted $4000 to fabricate including exhaust.  Bit pricey.

I had a set of them. They hang down like a gorillas knuckles. The slip tubes leak like crazy and the tubes are 20 gauge to make them lighter. It's like having no exhaust on the car at all.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Quote from: vtgt500 on July 23, 2019, 08:23:56 AM
As time consuming as FE installation is, and since most of us are into this long term, stainless headers are becoming a preference.  The thought of never having to deal with rotted exhaust the rest of my life has a lot of value.  Well made, TIG weld headers are almost art work.  Beyond that, my 2-1/2" Magnaflow, stainless exhaust is one of the best selections in 42 years of ownership.  Can have a quiet conversation at 65 MPH with the windows down.  Yet pulls so hard accelerating thru 130 MPH fear the Hoosier A6 road race tires will brake traction.

I agree, but who makes them in stainless?

pbf777

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 31, 2019, 01:21:36 PM
[
I had a set of them. They hang down like a gorillas knuckles. The slip tubes leak like crazy and the tubes are 20 gauge to make them lighter. It's like having no exhaust on the car at all.

So!  What's the problem!  Period correct!, that's how it's suppose to be, right!   If it were different, I'd feel like I was cheated from the true and proper experience!     ::)   

Ahhh, the good old days!     8)

Scott

shelbydoug

Problem? No problem. I liked the sparks from dragging on the ground. Of course I got over sparklers eventually too.

I really wouldn't call track headers on the street as period correct. No. That's not the term I'd use.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

Now come-on, they aren't literally "dragging on the ground", well not all of the time anyway.  And back in the day, speed bumps weren't as common as they seem to be these days, but when encountered it was generally a wise practice to drive around them, same with manhole covers and or other abrupt topography changes.  But after the first few inevitable incursions the pipes acquired some degree of additional ground clearance.  And I suppose their use ruled out lowering the nose much, if at all; but again not so common a practice back then as compared to today, and perhaps the 90/10 front shocks helped a little too.       

But they look cool, not some shortie, puny, pansy pipes for kids; it's just part of the nature of the beast, a big bad beast of that period.  If one wants something without headache (excessive noise, nauseous fumes, and requiring a tool box carried along) , I often recommend a new Mustang (or what-ever), your only pain will be the payments.     ::)

Scott.

1967 eight barrel

By the way, if you use the Hooker or Doug's race headers that cross under the pan your power steering is history.
I have the Arning drop and the Global West 1" lower coil springs and a .750 spacer to avoid being too low. Doug is right about light shows underneath the car and speed bumps are not your friend. However,  the sound is awesome. I love the equal length into four with the flow master Deltas.
                        -Keith

RSOHC

What cast iron exhaust manifolds will fit my 427 medium riser heads (with bolt holes at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock only) and the engine compartment for a GT500?

Lauran

gt350hr

That would be "none".  The Cougar GTE used a 390 GT exhaust manifold and 14 bolt head.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

427heaven

Actually that would be only (ONE) that I know of and that would be a very rare 427 fairlane set of exhaust manifolds... As in VERY RARE!

shelbydoug

Quote from: 427heaven on August 06, 2019, 03:22:03 PM
Actually that would be only (ONE) that I know of and that would be a very rare 427 fairlane set of exhaust manifolds... As in VERY RARE!

Technically that is not correct or at least "not out of the box". There are a few individuals who have made them fit with what was describe to me as "excessive grinding". I think that is of both the chassis and the manifolds?

The reality is they are no better then the CJ manifolds are so what's the point? They definitely are heavier.

The CJ manifolds fit nicely and are an improvement over the GT manifolds.

A few years ago there was a SAAC member who cast up aluminum versions of the CJ manifolds.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

NONE were made specifically to fit the Mustang with an 8 bolt pattern. 427 Fairlanes will NOT fit "out of the box. Been there and done that.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

RSOHC

how about a 1962 Police Interceptor exhaust manifold from 1962 as used on 390 and 406 engines?

pbf777

No way! At least not with the front clip still in place!     :o

Scott.

427heaven

Quote from: gt350hr on August 06, 2019, 04:58:55 PM
  NONE were made specifically to fit the Mustang with an 8 bolt pattern. 427 Fairlanes will NOT fit "out of the box. Been there and done that.
They were made specifically for the 66 67 Fairlanes and were tight but fit right. My 427 fairlanes used these at first but since those cars were built as a max effort vehicles they needed to breath better and went with headers. The same engine package was installed in my cobra jet cars and only needed to trim the shock tower wrap around bracing, more like a shave literally. But after many decades of use maybe being stored without an engine in place the shock towers TACO MAKING THINGS TIGHTER. If all things are as they left the factory they will fit great. The early 406 427 cast iron manifolds flow great but wont fit anything except the great BEHEMOUTHS from the early 60s.

shelbydoug

When I was originally doing this exact same feasability study about 1985, installing a 427MR, there were few sources of information on the Fairlane manifolds and fewer sources to buy from.

When I inquired with Perogie, George told me that they could be made to fit, he had done it, but there was a lot of grinding involved. Considering that then, a set would have cost me $3500, I went a different way.

If you make a spread sheet of all the possibilities, assigning +/- values, it rapidly becomes apparent that headers are the "best" solution and of those headers, Hookers are the best value and compromise the least.

Considering the cost of the Fairlane manifolds and their market resale value unaltered, I would want to see an installation in detail  before I committed to that solution.

I still don't see the point of using them. They aren't original to the car so if you have already lost that argument why not just go with the Hooker headers?

One might argue that there are better header choices. FE's are not high reving rpm monsters. It doesn't matter much that you have 2-1/8" primary tubes or 1-3/4".

Having Hooker Super Comps hanging down like a gorilla scraping his knuckles on the pavement is initially very cool but like driving, or attempting to, a comp car on the street, they quickly loose their glitter of the wow factor and eventually you arrive at the "why do I need this aggravation factor?" Been there...done that. They're great in home room discussions before the late bell rings or I suppose after your second double of Black Jack? There they absolutely supply at least another 250hp?

Is this an academic discussion or one of practicality/impracticality?  ???
68 GT350 Lives Matter!