News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

headers for 427 FE Engine

Started by RSOHC, July 20, 2019, 10:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSOHC

Anyone know of a source that offers reproduction 1967 Ford Fairlane 427 Exhaust Manifolds?

Lauran

RSOHC

I have purchased a set of 1967 Ford Fairlane 427 exhaust manifolds.

Lauran

427heaven

Congratulations you found the HOLY GRAIL... Rarer then hens teeth, now at car shows people will be scratching their asses wondering what you have for an exhaust system. Medium riser heads with matching 427 Fairlane manifolds will make people smile. Great street performance but lacking if you are really looking for max performance.  :)

RSOHC

I am looking for a source for the oem style exhaust pipes that would attach to the 427 Fairlane Exhaust Manifolds.  Thanks  Lauran

Bob Gaines

Quote from: RSOHC on August 08, 2019, 04:50:08 PM
I am looking for a source for the oem style exhaust pipes that would attach to the 427 Fairlane Exhaust Manifolds.  Thanks  Lauran
Given you have been talking about fitting the 427 Fairlane  exhaust manifolds previously to a GT500 I only assume you are still looking for advice as it refers to a Mustang body. In a Mustang body the H pipe would have to be custom made for 427 exhaust. FYI the stock exhaust is 2 in but if doing this modification you would most likely want to go at least 2 1/4  . This is a easy build for any competent Muffler shop. If you are lucky they will have a build pattern card like the old school shop I have used for 30 years. I would also advise to have the entire exhaust made by your shop of choice with your choice of mufflers. On a car like this I would also suggest a aluminized or pipe with high carbon content (not as much as stainless) so that they will not rust. The mufflers are typically aluminized (but confirm anyway) so no worry about them . You will have to get creative about the exhaust tips depending on the pipe size . Originals will be too small of a diameter. I had my muffler shop make some up using original dimensions but went from 2  1/2 to 3 inch of a genuine tip. I had the special tips chrome plated . The exhaust look OEM from the outside. Resist the temptation to buy the after market intermediate pipes to mate to your custom built H pipe. They typically fit terribly any way.  Just some thoughts based on personal experience. I hope it helps. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

I will post some pictures when my selfmade headers in stainless steel are done, Ím not happy with all the aftermarket crap so we built our own headers for the mustangs etc.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

RSOHC

Can someone please post a picture of how the choke tube is connected to the stock passenger side exhaust manifold.  Thanks

Lauran

Bob Gaines

Quote from: RSOHC on August 23, 2019, 12:28:51 PM
Can someone please post a picture of how the choke tube is connected to the stock passenger side exhaust manifold.  Thanks

Lauran
Given the category you are posting in and to get the most accurate info for your situation which choke tube? The 68 GT500 or 68 GT500 KR?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

RSOHC

68 GT500.  I don't understand how the choke tube is connected to the exhaust manifold.  If I where to guess,it would be that the choke tube is connected to the exhaust manifold by running the tube through a hole is the "fitting and screen" located on the passenger exhaust.  The hole in the fitting is smaller than the end of the tube I have that would connect the carb to the exhaust manifold.

Lauran

1967 eight barrel

Remember, this discussion is about HEADERS. I do have my heated choke tube connected to the Hooker U shaped heat riser. Even the breather tube comes up in the blower motor shield as it should.

-Keith

Bob Gaines

Quote from: RSOHC on August 23, 2019, 04:47:13 PM
68 GT500.  I don't understand how the choke tube is connected to the exhaust manifold.  If I where to guess,it would be that the choke tube is connected to the exhaust manifold by running the tube through a hole is the "fitting and screen" located on the passenger exhaust.  The hole in the fitting is smaller than the end of the tube I have that would connect the carb to the exhaust manifold.

Lauran
I would start a knew thread asking the same question so as to give others the advantage of the same information you asked now and in the future using the search feature. It will also give me time to take some pictures of a engine on a stand that I can post  ;) .

7777kx

Having red the thread on headers for a 427FE, i am not sure if this helps but.......... about 5/6 years ago whilst tuning a 428PI in a 67GT500, we fitted it with 427 heads.
Because of the original exhaust manifold to cylinder head bolt pattern difference between the 428/427 and not being able to use headers, especially because of Country Certification laws about non stock appearance parts, i designed a pair of hand fabricated stainless steel exhaust manifolds which have the shape/profile/position of the cast 428 heads but have the exhaust manifold bolt pattern for a 427.
These manifolds fit straight up to the 427 heads and allow a stock H-pipe exhaust system to be connected whilst installed in a 67/68 engine bay and have full clearance on all stock components including the Z bar.
They offer a more Factory look than headers, if that is what you are looking for.

RSOHC

Are you offering to the public a pair of hand fabricated stainless steel exhaust manifolds which have the shape/profile/position of the cast 428 heads but have the exhaust manifold bolt pattern for a 427.

Lauran

RSOHC

I have decided to go with some coated headers from Ford Powertrain Applications (FPA) located in Puyallup, Washington.  The headers fit once the coating was removed from holes where the headers bolt up to head.  I had to grind some material from the front edge of the dropped steering bracket so that the power ram hoses did not rub on the bracket.    The ground clearance is much improved compared to the Hooker Super Comp headers that I removed from the car.  I converted the choke on the carb to an electric unit since the FPA headers did not have any of the fixtures required to use the original choke on the carb. 

In an effort to get the factory Thunderbolt exhaust manifolds to fit, I did some grinding on the shock towers and I deleted the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the head.  What I could not resolve was the severe interference between the factory steering box and the exhaust manifold. 

Lauran

Royce Peterson

No factory cast iron manifold will fit that combination.

Fortunately you have a good option. JBA offers a shorty header made from inconel (stainless) tubing. It fits nicely once you get all the bolts in. No drop bracket required for the PS either. The headers are 16 bolt pattern so they work with either 428CJ style heads or with (like yours) earlier 8 bolt heads.

They can be made to work with 14 bolt heads but you have to do your homework to avoid exhaust leaks.

Quote from: RSOHC on August 06, 2019, 02:47:29 PM
What cast iron exhaust manifolds will fit my 427 medium riser heads (with bolt holes at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock only) and the engine compartment for a GT500?

Lauran
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock