Author Topic: Engine Mounted Mechanical Fuel Pumps Through CSX2125  (Read 1854 times)

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
Engine Mounted Mechanical Fuel Pumps Through CSX2125
« on: July 21, 2019, 03:22:49 PM »
Engine Mounted Mechanical Fuel Pumps Through CSX2125

If you own or have access to an unrestored, substantially as built, with its original engine, and original engine mounted fuel pump car before CSX2126 we (me mostly but others are interested and helping) would like you to help add data and pictures to a database.  We are working to collect data on the pump’s manufacturer, casting numbers as applicable, casting dates as applicable, assembly dates, finishes, and fittings.  Real good pictures of the installation in the car would be great to have also.   Maybe you know where an original engine with fuel pump still attached is sitting in storage or on display.

Don’t have a car or access now, did you manage to take some pictures of the fuel pump area on these cars decades ago?

The intent is to add to the open source Cobra engine notes and slide shows I share with owners and restorers.   If you have information or pictures but don’t want them public, that works for me as long as I may add your casting or assembly dates to the known ranges without tying them to you or a specific car.

Thanks in advance for any information you may add to the collection. Send me a private message through this site if you wish to make contact.

Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Mounted Mechanical Fuel Pumps Through CSX2125
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 02:56:39 PM »
F.Y.I.…. I learned quite a lot in my survey.  Like most Cobra related subjects this one became more complicated as more pictures of intact installations became available in factory images, magazine road tests of new cars, and old pictures of cars before first restoration.  I found a few cars in each group still intact with their original equipment after all these decades.  I bought a selection of fuel pumps to use as examples and designed a display stand to hold them. I also bought some very old Ford engineering and dealer mechanic service literature to get the Ford engineering details. I found enough information to know what was typical installations for Continental Cars and Shelby American in CSX prefix chassis.  I also documented a few atypical details. What I have failed to find is any period pictures or modern pictures of intact COB/COX prefix chassis fuel pump and ancillaries installations.

My current slide show is forty (40) pages long so you won’t see a copy in a small forum text box. I am posting two slides of the most common Shelby American installations for chassis street and race through CSX2125 and CSX2126 onward.   The sample pump assembly shown for CSX2126 and later chassis is an actual unrestored one installed by Shelby American on a new Cobra engine in 1964.

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.