Author Topic: Porland Swap Meet  (Read 10417 times)

68cobra427

• View Profile
Porland Swap Meet
« on: February 16, 2018, 03:54:12 PM »
Come one come all. April 6-7-8  2018

Troy ;D

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Porland Swap Meet
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 05:44:27 PM »
Never been.  Need to get up there to see just how big it really is!  I have no excuse since I live on the west coast AND I'm retired.  Largest meet I've been to is the January Turlock and the old Sacramento meet at Sleep Train arena.  Now that it's been moved to Cal Expo, it just doesn't seem to be as large.  Portland's definitely on the list!

Craig R
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 06:03:00 PM »
It is a must see.  Two swap meets going on at the same time.

Portland International Raceway is a mile away and it is April 5, 6, 7

Expo Center is April 6, 7, 8

Luckily they have a continuous shuttle system running between the two meets.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:29:00 PM »
.............Portland's definitely on the list!

Should attend at least once. Hopefully on a dry week.

Most booths are mixed make so it can slow down the process of going through all the meet. They use to stagger the start days (not sure if they are currently doing that) so you could hit one one day and the other the following.

Unfortunately like many swap meets the internet appears to have had an impact and many have become more social events than parts finding exercises
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 09:48:44 PM »

They use to stagger the start days (not sure if they are currently doing that) so you could hit one one day and the other the following.

Yes, PIR is open first on April 5th and then the Expo center the next day. If you can even manage to do either in a day.

I lost out on a B302 when a buddy put down $20 to hold it for a day while he secured funds. Didn't find out until he brought it home.

Although the internet offers a lot, there are still some jewels to be found.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

calspcl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 06:58:37 PM »
We have a small group camping at our race track stall Wednesday Thursday & Friday! Between the expo center and the racetrack plan on putting on some miles...  Lots of stuff!
1968 GT350 #1198

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
Unfortunately the Portland swap is the same weekend as Spring Columbus.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »
Unfortunately the Portland swap is the same weekend as Spring Columbus.

How big is the Spring Columbus?  I have never been because Portland is usually the same time and if they are ever on different weekends I usually have spent all of my money at Portland.   It is hard for me to drive across the country when Portland is only 50 miles away; but I really need to check out Columbus some time.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 07:44:12 PM by silverton_ford »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 07:41:37 PM »
How bid is the Spring Columbus?  I have never been because Portland is usually the same time.   It is hard for me to drive across the country when Portland is only 50 miles away; but I really need to check out Columbus some time.

Portland is much much bigger but its a multi car model swap meet.

Better chance of finding IMHO a screaming deal at Portland but you have to put in the mileage.

Swap meets over the years around the country each had regional differences and what is the "norm". And of course things have changed allot over the years. 

Can be interesting and entertaining to say the least. Don't assume that what is the norm locally to you is how they do things elsewhere.

Oh the stories ::)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 07:52:26 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 07:47:00 PM »
How bid is the Spring Columbus?  I have never been because Portland is usually the same time.   It is hard for me to drive across the country when Portland is only 50 miles away; but I really need to check out Columbus some time.

Portland is much much bigger but its a multi car model swap meet.

Better chance of finding IMHO a screaming deal at Portland but you have to put in the mileage.

Swap meets over the years around the country each had regional differences and what it the "norm". Can be interesting and entertaining to say the least. Don't assume that what is the norm locally to you is how they did things elsewhere.

Oh the stories ::)

That makes sense.    I have been to Turlock and it is quite different than Portland.

I guess comparing Portland (a multi-car model swap meet) to Columbus(Ford) may not be a very good comparison.

Regardless, I need to go some time.  I also need to go to Hershey, Carlisle, Chickasha, San Diego, Pomona and Bakersfield swap meets at least once in my life.