Author Topic: Suggestions for oil in a 347 stroker  (Read 9470 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Suggestions for oil in a 347 stroker
« on: July 22, 2019, 03:08:21 PM »
Can anyone make a suggestion for the best oil I should use on a pretty recent 347 stroker?  What weight oil for now (summer) and what should I use for the winter?  Synthetic?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for oil in a 347 stroker
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 03:13:54 PM »
Hello Brian,

Depends, are you running a roller or flat tapped cam?

Cheers,
~Earl J

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 03:19:40 PM »
It's a roller cam.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 03:30:24 PM »
We could go on and on about oils. It depends on what your tolerances are in the engine, roller, hydraulic, solid, what rpms, street, race, stop and go traffic, daily driver, freezing cold environment, burning hot summer temps, what you feel is a budget for high end oils? 95 percent of owners would fit the whats ever on sale at the local auto parts store, most all oils are quality oils today. Kinda like asking the crowd do these pants make me look fat? ;D Each person will have there own answer nobody right or wrong with their answers.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 04:11:32 PM »
   Brian,
      A 5-30 or 5-40 should be fine for you engine all around. For synthetic "I" like Mobil 1. I have tried many "designer" oils without any 'magical" differences. On a low ( annual) mileage , weekend only car you can run the oil for a year without any issue, If it's clear enough to see the sick through it , it doesn't need to be changed.  I am not a fan of "designer" or "fad" oils. Others WILL have different opinions.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 10:33:26 AM »
  Original Kendall GT1, Brad Penn , now DA lubricants ( green oil) is really good oil. It was recommended to me by Harvey Crane (rip) in the late '60 when I was having bearing issues with another popular brand I was getting for free. I have used it ever since on my personal drag race engines. It  is the best IMHO. The reason I mentioned Mobil 1 is Brian asked about a synthetic and Mobil 1 is a good one available everywhere. Brad Penn is a semi synthetic and harder to find.
     Randy

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 12:55:33 PM »
I've been running Valvoline VR-1 10W-30 year round in the 347 in my 66 for ~10 years, no issues, send a sample to Blackstone labs at every oil change.  My cam is flat tapped, the VR-1 has high zinc levels like the good old days but if you're running a roller cam that probably isn't a concern.
Dave - 6S1757

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 01:45:01 PM »
  I was having bearing issues with another popular brand I was getting for free.
     Randy

Randy, you should have known better than to use that Wolf's Head "Reconstituted Oil", you cheapo!   And then what, you moved "up" to Quacker State, pure Pennsylvania crud(e) with high sulfur and wax content and it's superior sludging capabilities?   You know, "the good stuff"; when you would pour a quart diesel fuel in the crankcase and run it before the oil change so the sludge might flow out the drain plug!     ::)

Scott.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 01:54:37 PM »
I do prefer "designer" oil myself.

Joe Gibbs to be exact.

Dinosaur oil for break-in, full synthetic for continued use.

https://www.drivenracingoil.com/

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 04:47:30 PM »
     Randy

Randy, you should have known better than to use that Wolf's Head "Reconstituted Oil", you cheapo!   And then what, you moved "up" to Quacker State, pure Pennsylvania crud(e) with high sulfur and wax content and it's superior sludging capabilities?   You know, "the good stuff"; when you would pour a quart diesel fuel in the crankcase and run it before the oil change so the sludge might flow out the drain plug!     ::)

Scott.

I don't know who's been letting out my secrets but here is the HONEST truth. As a teenager , I went to many races at LIONS ( rip) drag strip . The nitro dragsters ran an oil called RayLube. It WAS "rerefined" ( read used/filtered) oil !  Being a "dumb" young kid I asked one of the "big names" why. His reply was "It's good enough for one run and we drain it because it's full of nitro after that one run". At 10 cents a quart ( 1963-64 money) it made racing affordable. Yes I did run it at various times in "beaters" after I got my license a couple years later. We did allot of dumb things back then.
    Randy

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 04:51:00 AM »
I am absolutely a Kendall fan. In the mid 80's in my Turbo it didn't burn it. When I ran Castol it smoked. Castrol also got thin quick.
I use Penn Grade break. It's straight 30 wt.  I run Penn Grade 30WT post. I use Dino in the FE. My other two Turbo vehicles call for 0-40 Mobil 1.
I run the O-40 during the cooler months and 10-40 warmer times of the year.
                                                                           -Keith

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 05:26:33 AM »
     Randy

Scott.

I don't know who's been letting out my secrets but here is the HONEST truth. As a teenager , I went to many races at LIONS ( rip) drag strip . The nitro dragsters ran an oil called RayLube. It WAS "rerefined" ( read used/filtered) oil !  Being a "dumb" young kid I asked one of the "big names" why. His reply was "It's good enough for one run and we drain it because it's full of nitro after that one run". At 10 cents a quart ( 1963-64 money) it made racing affordable. Yes I did run it at various times in "beaters" after I got my license a couple years later. We did allot of dumb things back then.
    Randy

Re-refined oil. I love it! That's what I ran in my first vehicle - a 1960 Ford truck that got 50 miles to the quart. A trip to the beach and back on Saturday was a 2-quart run. Ten cents a quart was enough to pay for something that wasn't going to stay in the engine very long. What memories.

Steve

jamesfee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 10:26:29 AM »
I have a 347, roller cam with Webers. I run Amsoil synthetic Z-Rod 10W-30 with Archoil AR9100 friction modifier additive. I'm in Jersey so my seasons are slightly limited but that combo suits the car for all my driving.
I made the change to the high Zinc formula after I mushed three flat tappets (that's when I changed to the roller cam too). Both the car and I are happy with this mix.

jim
6S1801

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 10:49:24 AM »
   The ONLY true way of telling if your oil choice is doing a good job for you is at teardown of your engine. if the bearings look like new and the rings are sealed , it's doing a good job.  Without a "CSI" , actual engine condition is a guess. My day job has me doing CSI on engine parts as often as once a week. Oil related causes amount to less than 10% of failures by "my" record keeping of failures "I" have looked at. "Oil supply" ( or LACK of) related problems are responsible for about 30% of what I see.
   Randy