Author Topic: Suggestions for oil in a 347 stroker  (Read 9467 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for oil in a 347 stroker
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 11:58:39 AM »
if you are looking for a motor oil with adequate zinc and phosphorous  content look no further than mobil 1

we use the 15w50 with p 1200 and z 1300

want more more zinc and phosphorus  try mobils racing oils with  p 1750 and z 1850

that is all

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi9o9aUzcbkAhXqp1kKHWxtAlcQFjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw2avttLKX9RKbAC3jHwQpxj
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 12:05:32 PM by FL SAAC TONY »
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 12:24:13 PM »
Why not add the ZDDP additive designed to supplement the oils that it has been removed from?

In my own investigations, it has been explained to me more than once by several oil company representatives (and surprisingly, a couple of them actually seemed to know something about oil), that the idea of just adding some foreign formulation to the contents of something already deemed insufficient with intentions of brewing something truly capable, is perhaps for average individual (lacking a chemical engineering degree, facilities and familiar with the particular subject) a somewhat misguided quest, and perhaps only creating a somewhat Frankensteinish result.       ;)

Scott.
I get my information from engine builders that do the work and have to stand by the results . Those guys are on a "quest " to not have to warranty a flat cam.  ;) I suppose it could be argued ether way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 02:16:38 PM »
+ 1

totally agree with Mr Gaines the zddp is added insurance and at the end of the journey what's another ten bucks?

Why not add the ZDDP additive designed to supplement the oils that it has been removed from?

In my own investigations, it has been explained to me more than once by several oil company representatives (and surprisingly, a couple of them actually seemed to know something about oil), that the idea of just adding some foreign formulation to the contents of something already deemed insufficient with intentions of brewing something truly capable, is perhaps for average individual (lacking a chemical engineering degree, facilities and familiar with the particular subject) a somewhat misguided quest, and perhaps only creating a somewhat Frankensteinish result.       ;)

Scott.
I get my information from engine builders that do the work and have to stand by the results . Those guys are on a "quest " to not have to warranty a flat cam.  ;) I suppose it could be argued ether way.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2019, 02:44:14 PM »

Scott.
I get my information from engine builders that do the work and have to stand by the results . Those guys are on a "quest " to not have to warranty a flat cam.  ;)

As this is what we do, your right; hence why I have given this topic some consideration, with discussions involving others including those who are in the oil industry, in an attempt to separate what often proves to be the more difficult to acquire truth and fact vs. the more readily available assumptions or fiction.     

But, I always say: If it's working for ya, keep on doin' it!        ;) 

Scott.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 12:29:15 AM »
I have been using Valvoline VR-1 20w-50 for years.

For your applications...just cruising around...you are probably safe with anything suggested.  You do not push your cars harder than what the oil can take.

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 04:32:59 AM »
I read somewhere that there's such a thing as too much ZDDP which can do more harm than good. I think the tipping point might be around 1500ppm - give or take a little. But I can't remember where I saw that.

Steve

rkm

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2019, 06:49:47 AM »
Ok guys.Thanks for the input. I like the numbers on the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil but I am worried a full synthetic will find a way to leak in this engine. Is anyone using it in a stock 427 with an aggressive flat tappet cam? Nothing has the 1980 PPM  ZZDP specs of the Pennzoil racing oil. I am nervous about mixing up my own oil to bring it up to that specification with say, Brad Penn 20w50.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2019, 06:52:02 AM »
if your motor has leaks, then it will leak

just because its synthetic oil does not mean it will make your motor leak,  the viscosity is the same as conventional oil

Ok guys.Thanks for the input. I like the numbers on the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil but I am worried a full synthetic will find a way to leak in this engine. Is anyone using it in a stock 427 with an aggressive flat tappet cam? Nothing has the 1980 PPM  ZZDP specs of the Pennzoil racing oil. I am nervous about mixing up my own oil to bring it up to that specification with say, Brad Penn 20w50.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2019, 08:17:32 AM »
For those wanting Brad Penn (PennGrade 1) it's available on Amazon Prime for $85-$89 per case.

Original Kendall GT1, Brad Penn , now DA lubricants ( green oil) is really good oil. It was recommended to me by Harvey Crane (rip) in the late '60 when I was having bearing issues with another popular brand I was getting for free. I have used it ever since on my personal drag race engines. It  is the best IMHO. The reason I mentioned Mobil 1 is Brian asked about a synthetic and Mobil 1 is a good one available everywhere. Brad Penn is a semi synthetic and harder to find.
     Randy
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2019, 09:24:47 AM »
at our local retail store mobil 1 15w50 full synthetic 5 quarts $22.88

we usually purchase two cases and a mobil 1 hi performance oil filter under sixty bucks for all

then take the  used oil back to the purchase site

For those wanting Brad Penn (PennGrade 1) it's available on Amazon Prime for $85-$89 per case.

Original Kendall GT1, Brad Penn , now DA lubricants ( green oil) is really good oil. It was recommended to me by Harvey Crane (rip) in the late '60 when I was having bearing issues with another popular brand I was getting for free. I have used it ever since on my personal drag race engines. It  is the best IMHO. The reason I mentioned Mobil 1 is Brian asked about a synthetic and Mobil 1 is a good one available everywhere. Brad Penn is a semi synthetic and harder to find.
     Randy

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2019, 01:09:51 PM »
  Oil choices are rarely agreed on no matter what forum or thread. How does a person "know" the oil is doing a good job without inspecting the engine parts? I understand there are oil analyzing companies out there but few have that done by what I see. There has to be a hundred different oil offerings out there right now , all with there particular "spin" on why they are the best. Tough decisions.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2019, 06:21:10 PM »
again we only use two types of oil in florida, mobil 1 or hawaiian tropic....just our two cents

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2019, 07:59:33 AM »
  Oil choices are rarely agreed on no matter what forum or thread. How does a person "know" the oil is doing a good job without inspecting the engine parts? I understand there are oil analyzing companies out there but few have that done by what I see. There has to be a hundred different oil offerings out there right now , all with there particular "spin" on why they are the best. Tough decisions.

Yep. Well stated (as always  8))
These types of threads are always - at least - entertaining if not informative.
Tony - I'm guess that I should only use the Hawaiian Tropic in a roadster?  ::)

For example,.. on a "different" auto enthusiast forum, I read as a super-detail-oriented racer really "went off" on everyone who stated anything without having the oil analysis to back it up  :o ???
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2019, 08:23:52 AM »

Mark P the site you referenced wasn't this one was it?  There is a fair amount of decent information, a lot of strong opinions and "internet thuggery".

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2019, 08:57:08 AM »
No, my reference was to something on a Turbo Buick forum, I just thought that what I saw sorta reinforced what Randy was saying.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird