News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Thanks to all who make the forum

Started by Coralsnake, July 23, 2019, 06:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

After some reflection, numerous notes of discontentment to the forum administration, I have decided to take a break from the forum.

Previous notes to forum adminstrators went on unanswered. Even after some people were threatened with anonymous letters.

Now we have full blown trolls running forums and deleting posts when people disagree with them. If the standard is deleting posts, because you dont like the content, its time to leave. Thats not my idea of open discussion.

Apparently, there are not enough who feel like I do, so I will leave for another venue to share my opinions. I am certain some will be fine with the decision.

I am not sure if and when I will return. I plan to keep in touch with my friends by other means.

Pete

KDunne

How did we arrive here?  Surely this is a huge loss.

To the forum administrators, are you going to respond.

1967 eight barrel

Apparently they have become cowardly, and free speech for those of us who paid for it in blood doesn't exist. The panty waist can't handle any discourse and they either remove your response or shun you. It's why I spend little time here. There are those of us who work on them and want to learn old tricks and usually intermingle them with the new. Or you have those who have deep pockets who simply have other people do their work while looking down their nose at those who owned the cars before they became valuable.
I have owned my Shelby since I was 18. It took me years to do the restoration but I personally did all but spray the paint. Those of us who physically build them and DRIVE them are a different breed. I have a stunning vehicle but it's no trailer queen or dust collector.

I am direct, but that is the honest side of me.  I am not part of the entitled or a silver spoon.  I don't put up with BS and I am transparent.
I am not always right, but I try to stay informed.  If you're easily offended then perhaps there are other places you should be.
It only takes a few true arseholes to ruin a great place to share knowledge. I have seen a lot changes post the crash.
If you don't like my opinion or response to another you have no business removing a well thought out response, even if it is contrary to your position.
I don't go on profanity-laced responses. That would be a different story.

What you are seeing is a response to the uppity late to the party people who bought their way into the club, not those who have been actively involved before the money was in the game. We are like the athletes of old. It's for the love of the car, not the value.
Perhaps things will improve. However I'm not holding my breath with the exodus that has been noted here.

-Keith

Bill

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 23, 2019, 06:06:42 PM
After some reflection, numerous notes of discontentment to the forum administration, I have decided to take a break from the forum.

Previous notes to forum adminstrators went on unanswered. Even after some people were threatened with anonymous letters.

Now we have full blown trolls running forums and deleting posts when people disagree with them. If the standard is deleting posts, because you dont like the content, its time to leave. Thats not my idea of open discussion.

Apparently, there are not enough who feel like I do, so I will leave for another venue to share my opinions. I am certain some will be fine with the decision.

I am not sure if and when I will return. I plan to keep in touch with my friends by other means.

Pete

Pete,

Stay, we have your back.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

You will be missed.An invaluable source of info. on 68s (and I am a 67 owner).Huge loss...Hopefully you will be back after some time away..Time CAN be healing..BTW:I get it...Best wishes...

Corey Bowcutt

I truly hope you reconsider Pete.  I am a Johnny come lately but have had a deep respect for these cars since I was a young teenager.  But since I have purchased my car 3.5 years ago I have depended heavily on this forum in general and Pete specifically for advice on my 68.  Pete was one of the first people I reached out to when searching the car and that was well before I knew of this forum.  Pete sent me free of charge just out of his kindness and love of the hobby Fogg Motors stickers and a 90 degree bracket for mounting my console.  I have reached out to Pete personally when I am looking to buy a specific item that I have questions about authenticity or appropriateness for my car and he has always responded rapidly. There are countless posts that I have submitted where I look forward to seeing Pete's response.
So this is a huge loss to me and the entire community.
Corey Bowcutt

67 GT350

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on July 24, 2019, 05:10:23 AM
Apparently they have become cowardly, and free speech for those of us who paid for it in blood doesn't exist. The panty waist can't handle any discourse and they either remove your response or shun you. It's why I spend little time here. There are those of us who work on them and want to learn old tricks and usually intermingle them with the new. Or you have those who have deep pockets who simply have other people do their work while looking down their nose at those who owned the cars before they became valuable.
I have owned my Shelby since I was 18. It took me years to do the restoration but I personally did all but spray the paint. Those of us who physically build them and DRIVE them are a different breed. I have a stunning vehicle but it's no trailer queen or dust collector.

I am direct, but that is the honest side of me.  I am not part of the entitled or a silver spoon.  I don't put up with BS and I am transparent.
I am not always right, but I try to stay informed.  If you're easily offended then perhaps there are other places you should be.
It only takes a few true arseholes to ruin a great place to share knowledge. I have seen a lot changes post the crash.
If you don't like my opinion or response to another you have no business removing a well thought out response, even if it is contrary to your position.
I don't go on profanity-laced responses. That would be a different story.

What you are seeing is a response to the uppity late to the party people who bought their way into the club, not those who have been actively involved before the money was in the game. We are like the athletes of old. It's for the love of the car, not the value.
Perhaps things will improve. However I'm not holding my breath with the exodus that has been noted here.

-Keith

Right ON Keith, I am new to this forum, although I was 17 when I bought my Shelby, (1979) I remember the likes of what this country had just gone through, and the likes were back in 2016, thank GOD it did not go that way again, I have seen posts locked up and you are right, someone sees something they don't like, like the truth and they cannot handle it! With that said, it is still a nice place to get help and information, or maybe find an honest guy who wants to sell them parts.
RARE  Signature Delete

Tired Sheep

Its unfortunate.  The forum is sliding down hill.

The definition of a troll is someone that likes to start fights on the internet.

Let's see who does that fit?  Perhaps someone saying how great Corvettes are on a Shelby forum?

Or someone repeatedly posting car show information?  Or a moderator deleting posts just because...

If the adult supervision has not left the room, someone needs to step up.

roddster

Pete, PM me and tell me what other forum you will be on. ( I'll keep the secret)  I find your posts most informative.

Chris Thauberger

I urge all here to send a message directly to Ron. I want to believe that together we can convince him to take action.

Pete and I have been going back and forth with him for days now but we are only two members.

Time to make a stand people.

Here is Ron's email  ron.computerworks@gmail.com

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

vtgt500

Seems a maturing trend with enthusiast forums.  Forums initiate with sharing of unique information between very experienced owners and builders.  Soon grows into a valuable resource with a one of a kind knowledge base existing nowhere else.  In time the forum also attracts casual fans.  Typically those with a basket case they lack the resources and ambition to complete, and those having bought a restored example as a midlife, urban, status trophy.  What inevitably transpires is a clash with the forums founded intent.  Those with the most to offer stop participating and the forum deteriorates into jokes, family pictures, and dolts too lazy to buy a manual or use the search function.  Not sure of a solution.

QuickSilverShelby

Pete,don't leave!  I met you for the first time at SAAC 42 at Indy in the judging tent.  It was great to talk to you and finally meet the keeper of "The Coral Snake" website.  Your knowledge of 68 Shelby's is truly amazing and I really appreciate all that you have done and do for our club.

I'm one of the late comers, having owned my car for a mere 13 years but I know a great keeper of the flame when I see one. 

Don't go Pete :(.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

kjspeed

There's a simple solution to the problem: https://download.simplemachines.org/

Pete could implement a forum on the Coralsnake site and, as the Administrator, he would control/monitor/moderate the conversation. The software that SAAC uses is free to anyone.

This is not a dig at the SAAC forum or those who run it, but in this day and age where people often "say" things behind the shield of their keyboard that they wouldn't dare say to a person's face, online conversations across all platforms too often devolve into unending kindergarten-level bickering, taunts and name-calling. I can't fix this and neither can you. All that's left to do is ignore the idiots, blowhards and provocateurs and confine our interactions with those people and entities who enlighten and improve our lives. ~Kevin
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

68blk500c

I know Pete, and respect Pete, but I do wish he would change his mind.  People like him are why I participate, here.  By that, I mean people who actually contribute on-topic information beneficial to our cars and events, without some separate purpose. 

I happen to feel this shouldn't be a public forum, rather for members only.  Will that filter some of the problems?  Maybe?  Will that make it easier or more effective to have some controls?  Certainly.  Would that make the administrator job easier?  Very likely.  What would be the end result?  More happy members/enthusiasts while dealing with fewer problems.

It is not OK for people like Pete to leave.  Wake up and make some changes, now.

Mongo

"Go Team Coralsnake" i'm in big time and will be a lifetime member!