News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Looking at a 1970 Shelby Gt350

Started by shelby69, July 25, 2019, 07:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelby69

Hello. I might go look at  A 1970 shelby Gt350 for sale near my home for a friend of mine. I know the 69 Shelbys pretty well , and the various numbers and parts to look for .  Is it correct that 1970 shelbys are still 1969 cars with just updated vins and the black hood stripes and chin spoiler ?  everything else is still 69 shelby ? The upper shock tower vins should read as 1970 shelby ?  Also what would i look for if there are any suspitions of a car being a rebodied shelby ?  Thanks. Bob

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelby69 on July 25, 2019, 07:41:50 PM
Hello. I might go look at  A 1970 shelby Gt350 for sale near my home for a friend of mine. I know the 69 Shelbys pretty well , and the various numbers and parts to look for .  Is it correct that 1970 shelbys are still 1969 cars with just updated vins and the black hood stripes and chin spoiler ?  everything else is still 69 shelby ? The upper shock tower vins should read as 1970 shelby ?  Also what would i look for if there are any suspitions of a car being a rebodied shelby ?  Thanks. Bob
The windshield vin is changed and a 70 door sticker with 70 vin added.The vins under the fenders were not changed. The GT500's had more changes to convert to 70 status then the GT350. I am uncomfortable to elaborate on things to look for if a rebody is suspected on a public forum where the bad guys can get educated on how to make a better fake.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelby69

Ok. The serial numbers on upper shock towers under fenders are in same area but just updated to read as a 70 ?  as for the other question about rebodied i agree . Do you happen to know the exact production number for a 70 GT 350 ? I see many differnt produaction totoals floating around ? I see one that says 790 is that correct ?

prototypefan

As Bob said, the VIN's on the aprons were not changed.  They are unmodified and have 69 #'s. The door tag and dash VIN's are 70's.

Special Ed

As well as ALL of the paperwork changed to 70. The only unchanged 69 numbers were the top of apron stamps and the build sheets under carpet.

shelby69

Really.  The serial number ontop of shock towers still start with 9 and not zero for 70 ? Only the windshield vin is 70 ?  Intersting , i nevber knew that , glad i asked before i go look at car. Anyone know wthe production of the 70 GT350 fastbacks ?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelby69 on July 26, 2019, 08:54:17 PM
Really.  The serial number ontop of shock towers still start with 9 and not zero for 70 ? Only the windshield vin is 70 ?  Intersting , i nevber knew that , glad i asked before i go look at car. Anyone know wthe production of the 70 GT350 fastbacks ?
Don't forget the 1970 door sticker also had a 1970 VIN .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby