Author Topic: OK... Let's talk about the Forum  (Read 10106 times)

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK... Let's talk about the Forum
« on: July 25, 2019, 09:01:48 PM »
We see some turmoil here.. and that’s distressing.

Let’s try and set this state of things straight. I do not want to pontificate with a long dialog.. just want to get us calibrated.

We all at HQ have been quite preoccupied with the pre and post convention work for SAAC-44.
(…which I might add was a very successful event, on many levels.. thanks to the hundreds of hours of work by many.)

It might be good to state why we have this Forum in the first place.
It was designed 11 years ago to be a place where our SAAC family can gather and interact online.

It was always meant to be cordial, casual and informative. A place to ask tech questions, sell a car, buy a part.. or just chat with other like-minded people. It also grew to be a place for Regional Clubs to have a place to communicate, without requiring them to have their own forum or website.
It has always been open to SAAC members and non-members alike.

And.. it has always been moderated with the presumption that everyone is a grown-up and can play nicely. No heavy handed lifeguard… just intervention when things go off the asphalt.
There are no multi-page complex rules to play here… again, we are all grown-ups.
You will find trouble here is you violate some simple rules…

• obscenity
  • threatening of legal or physical action
  • personally attacking another forum member.
Pretty simple and straightforward?

Most of the posting areas relate to car topics and details; we have the Lounge for social and/or off car-topic posts.
It is really hard to break these rules.  11 years has proven that we, as a group, are quite good at self policing.
No one can deny that any reported post or action has not gone unnoticed or not dealt with in a civil manner. We have not had to ban anyone in many years and issues are dealt with as they arise.

It is very important to note that .. any Forum is ONLY AS GOOD as its members. We have quite a collection of people who are the best in the hobby as far as knowledge, tenure, enthusiasm and willingness to share.
We need these folks to balance out the newbies and the visitors looking in earnest to learn.
It’s our job at HQ to provide the best venue for this.. so we allow all corners of the hobby to be discussed…within the simple guidelines above.

-to be continued-

computerworks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: OK... Let's talk about the Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 09:05:31 PM »
Recently, a thread about the C8 in the Florida Regional Forum caught fire.

Not surprising – a Ford vs Chevy topic.

But it spawned many concerns that need to be addressed.

First,  Regional Forums are there for the purpose of the region; if it’s not your region, you are not compelled to visit, read or reply.
This one spilled in the street and opened up a lot of angst toward the author and his antics. Many asked why Tony is a Forum Moderator. He is not. He is just a mod within the FL regional forum…as a few others are mods in their own areas. Simply to allow cleanup there when necessary.

Many have expressed dislike over the topics he has posted. I have spoken with Tony and we have an agreement as to the nature of any future posts.

I have also communicated with a few folks who have contacted HQ with concerns over the Forum’s integrity.
We are still in 110% and as, from the beginning, the forum quality is made by the members themselves.

HQ is here to make it a pleasant place to visit and gently provide the law and order.

No one wants to see anyone leave for a reason that could be addressed and corrected… that much is quite clear.
We want to hear what has your ire.. what can be done to improve the atmosphere… let us know.

To help smooth the environment and address some concerns sent to us… we have loaded a software feature that will let you IGNORE any sub forum and have it NOT appear in the Recent Post List.

To install this feature go to your Profile in the top menu

Choose Modify Profile and click on Ignore Board Options

Check the boxes of the Sub Forums that you do not want to see in the recent Post list

Then Save the changes by clicking Change Profile in the bottom right corner

This could reduce some blood pressures, in some small way.

Remember, this is a place that should be an escape from real life.. and fun to visit.
Be civil, think before you post and always let us know when things get ugly.

Thanks
Ron

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:08:57 PM by computerworks »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 11:11:34 PM »
It must be working I redid my profile and checked the box as instructed . It has been over a hour which by now there would have been at least two obscure car shows or a fishing report from a certain down south state posted. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 11:18:54 PM »
Profile updated - Thank You Ron!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 12:05:03 AM »
Thanks and what a great service.   

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 12:34:51 AM »
Thanks Ron!
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 12:36:51 AM »
Thanks

Might want to mention the availability to ignore individual members also if you choose to. It's the line below the Ignore Board Option in Reply #1 in the drop down menu

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 08:06:15 AM »
Thanks Ron and Jeff
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 08:40:27 AM »
Thank you Ron,

I found myself pretty withdrawn from the forum for a while there. Not to the the point of abandoning completely as some have felt, but more of a disenchanted feeling. Thanks again. Great job. I have a Diet Coke for you.

Earl

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 08:56:34 AM »
Does this mean no more captain tony ha ha

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 09:02:50 AM »
Thank you for explaining this. Sometimes I am a little slow on the intake. I have been studying Shelbys for 35 years and still haven't figured that out .

I think this option will help everyone filter things they don’ t need.

Life is good.

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 09:27:46 AM »
Cool,thanks!!!

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 09:51:29 AM »
Thank you for your responsiveness and instructions.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 09:56:42 AM »
Looks like a.....   Win, win, win, situation. One has decided to stick around, Pete and friends,  (Tour guide Tony) can give us updates from Florida, and the rest can choose to ignore all the BS if they choose. I am glad as a group we can figure out  these complicated issues. At ease men... Back to the SHELBYS!

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 10:01:50 AM »
Ron,

Your work is appreciated as always. My sincere thanks for the efforts you put in for the club on a daily basis.  :)

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.