Author Topic: Air Filter Question  (Read 2067 times)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Air Filter Question
« on: July 28, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »
Hello!

I've been going through some parts I received with the purchase of 6S141.  Two items are of particular interest to me - both are air filters.

I remember Bob Gaines had posted some NOS air filters for sale, and with that post came pictures / comparisons between the assembly line / NOS / repop filters, but I can't find the original post.   :'(

I'd love to get some insight on both filters.  First, is an NOS Filter that's still in its original box.  Below are pictures of this filter.  Any ideas on the application and / or correctness of this filter versus the second filter (which I'll post next)?

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Air Filter Question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 01:56:09 PM »
Here are pictures of the second filter.

Nothing beats a classic!

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 02:41:31 PM »
I believe that assembly line style has the markings on the inside mesh.

chris

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
This picture was posted before and may help you.

Cheers, Steve
SFM 6S406

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 05:18:49 PM »
Hello!

I've been going through some parts I received with the purchase of 6S141.  Two items are of particular interest to me - both are air filters.

I remember Bob Gaines had posted some NOS air filters for sale, and with that post came pictures / comparisons between the assembly line / NOS / repop filters, but I can't find the original post.   :'(

I'd love to get some insight on both filters.  First, is an NOS Filter that's still in its original box.  Below are pictures of this filter.  Any ideas on the application and / or correctness of this filter versus the second filter (which I'll post next)?

Thanks!
Both of your filters are styles that came into use in later 68 production I believe. The assemblyline 65-67 did not have the same appearance. There were several different styles used in 65-67 too.  You could go into a comparison of hole in mesh pattern discussion or shade of rubber discussion but suffice it to say they are different. The repros are patterned after the ones you have in the picture. That style like what you have is what typically gets used in concours these days and most judges do not deduct for it unless in DIV I Premiere.  The genuine FA-41 are much better then what the repros look like but when you compare them to the assemblyline versions in 65-67 they are both different in appearance to. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 05:21:43 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 07:42:12 PM »
The later production filters have “AUTOLITE” embossed in them.

I believe there was also a square mesh version as well

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 09:26:15 PM »
Here is a picture of my original (assembly line) HiPo filter. As can be seen it's burgundy.
About 28 years ago, I traded a complete set of HiPo motor mounts for an original
complete HiPo air cleaner. Baseplate was dated 6A which I traded for a 5A dated with
Dave McDonald many years ago.
Rexas Swede

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 10:38:16 PM »
Thanks to all.  This is extremely helpful! 

And, as they say: a pictures (or several) are worth a thousand words.

Nothing beats a classic!

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 10:00:59 AM »
Ruben,

Check to OD on that Motorcraft filter. If I recall, they are smaller than the '65-67. They still fit but are just smaller in the base.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang