Author Topic: T-5 Conversion from Aluminum T-10  (Read 9104 times)

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: T-5 Conversion from Aluminum T-10
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 12:46:50 PM »
Thanks again to all for the continued input!

One question I have (which may seem a bit loaded) - has anyone done the conversion themselves?  If so, how difficult did you find the swap?

I ask, as I'm thinking of doing the work myself, as I can order all the parts I need from (and including) the fly wheel back (including the clutch, and correct length driveshaft), and it would save money and I think (hope!) will be fun to do, as I have a 4 post hydraulic lift in my garage.  I do have the correct bell housing (though, I would need a Fox Body (manual) starter), cross member and shift lever from another car that had the T5 swap done previously.

Another question I have:  I talked to a shop that was looking to do the work, and they mentioned going with a cable clutch system versus mechanical.  Is this required?

Many thanks in advance for your input!  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 01:17:07 PM »
You can use your original bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate.  Just add the adapter plate and bolt it in.  My shifter even came up through the factory hole.  No cutting required.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 02:11:09 PM »
It's  a simple swap. You need a good floor jack and a transmission floor jack would help a lot. You also need an extra set of hands.

Among other things, you need to turn the engine a little when you slide in the transmission so the the teeth on the input shaft don't get hung up on the clutch disc hub.

You also tend to need to balance the trannie on the jack. You need to get the car up as high as you can on the jackstands for working room.

I've done this on the floor more times then I care to think about ALONE. First time nearly lost two fingers but that was unnecessary.

You can do it. No need for a shop. Even if you have a lift, that just makes it easy to stand up under the car. Same procedure. Just not on your back.

Now wifey needs to check me every so often to make sure I didn't fall asleep under there...again!  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 12:16:13 PM »
It's  a simple swap. You need a good floor jack and a transmission floor jack would help a lot. You also need an extra set of hands.

Among other things, you need to turn the engine a little when you slide in the transmission so the the teeth on the input shaft don't get hung up on the clutch disc hub.

You also tend to need to balance the trannie on the jack. You need to get the car up as high as you can on the jackstands for working room.

I've done this on the floor more times then I care to think about ALONE. First time nearly lost two fingers but that was unnecessary.

You can do it. No need for a shop. Even if you have a lift, that just makes it easy to stand up under the car. Same procedure. Just not on your back.

Now wifey needs to check me every so often to make sure I didn't fall asleep under there...again!  :o

Thanks a ton, Doug!  It seems like this is a sweat spot for you.  :)

I have a 4-post lift in my garage, so this should make things A LOT easier from an access standpoint.  I'll definitely need to rent a transmission jack, though.

One other question for the group:  I've heard that there are 3 ways of doing the swap:
- Mechanical linkage (using what's already in the car)
- Cable system (which, it appears, requires a hole being drilled through the firewall - not a fan of this)
- Hydraulic system (which, to me, seems like overkill)

Any comments or thoughts on the differences in the three approaches above?  The first option (mechanical) is the most enticing to me, but I'm not sure if I'm leaving a better option on the table.

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 12:34:06 PM »
You will need to drill holes for hydraulic as well.  Most of the cables I've seen run up by the power steering pump and circle back down to the bellhousing.  I think they look like crap!  Modern Driveline has one that appears to go down through the floor and come in from the rear of the car.  It looks much nicer, but you probably would need to drill a hole.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 01:11:17 PM »
If you mean a hydraulic clutch and slave or a hydraulic throw out bearing, I don't use them. For clarity, those are actually two different set ups using a hydraulic reservoir.

I do have a hydraulic throw out bearing in an SVT Contour (son's car) and it is prone to leaking. It's not a good set up since any kind of servicing needs to have the transmission removed. There has been a kit for hydraulic throw out bearings for Panteras for 30 years. Same issues. Don't use them.

The stock mechanical linkage is appropriate for the car. The hydraulic system isn't.

I've heard stories that the hydraulic unit needs a very firm mount and the stock Mustang firewall isn't. It flexes and quickly fatigues and fractures.

I don't know how you would adapt a cable shifter to this application. I don't think that you need to worry so much about fitting in a shift lever.

I've got a stock Mustang lever on a Hurst mechanism. Lots can be done there.

PROBABLY the worst that will happen is that you need to alter the stock shifter boot ring spot welded to the floor. The space alotted to the shift lever opening by Ford is really tight. Something like 3-1/2 x 3-1/2".

I don't know of anyone who has done this swap that said they were sorry and wanted to go back. It's really something how the cars should have been built originally.

Like Nike says, just do it. ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:45:55 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2019, 01:43:57 PM »
Interesting subject

Just to add references for the thread;

http://www.moderndriveline.com/catalog/Ford_Solutions.htm

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/article-index.htm?tag=qa

Thanks Michael!  I actually ordered all my stuff through MDL, as I was turned on to them by a good friend.  These guys are awesome!  They literally supplied EVERYTHING I need, including a custom length driveshaft when the time comes. 

I have yet to get / install the parts, and I can tell you that these guys really know what they are doing. 
Nothing beats a classic!

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2019, 02:00:09 PM »
Go with a traditional mechanical clutch linkage and an original bellhousing which requires some minor machining to receive the adapter plate.  If you need another bellhousing rather than use your original, I have a spare correct one.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 02:01:43 PM by NC TRACKRAT »
5S071, 6S1467

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 08:03:46 PM »
Well, the T5 swap is in progress! Of course, I had to put some gas through her before she went up on the lift.  ;) 100 degree temperatures made me look like a strong case of malaria, but the car did great.

It’s been great to get under the car and get my hands dirty. The floors are original and you can still see the original salmon colored red oxide - just like on 6S030. And, there is some light undercoating; which I’ll remove at a later date.

The original trans is out and I’ll be removing the bell housing, clutch and flywheel tonight. I’m hoping to have the area prepped to stab the new tranny tomorrow. We’ll see. 👍🏻
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 06:19:52 PM »
I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has done this before...have you ever headed out to the garage to do a few "minor" things around 8pm, only to find yourself slipping into bed at 3:30am the next day?  Yeah, that's me!   ;D

So, last night's "I'm just going to prep the car for transmission installation the next day" turned into a full-blown installation.  Overall, it went extremely well, with the exception of my exhaust; which now is obstructed via the parking brake bar located on the transmission cross member.  Oh well, it could have been much worse!  However, I was able to change out the fly wheel, clutch, install the bell housing (late model Fox Body; which doesn't require holes to be drilled in my original bell housing), installation of a late model Fox body starter (which truly pains me, as I have a newly restored concours correct starter :'() and new speedo cable (thank the Lord, as I noticed that the sheathing had been pretty flattened in the past due to exhaust heat, but was still working well).

Tomorrow, I'm getting the exhaust sorted out, and then I'm hitting the road - I can't wait!

This post was brought to you by coffee.  Coffee - when you don't know when to stop and go to bed.  8)
Nothing beats a classic!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »
Funny how that works - I'll just do ... and you can't stop just - I can just do this real quick then I'll stop  Repeat, repeat , repeat OH sh!t is it really 3;15 !!!  Dang, in about an hour I could have this done and drive it it'll be getting light by then - when you hear the door open and "ARE YOU STILL OUT THERE????"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:49:18 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »
Funny how that works - I'll just do ... and you can't stop just - I can just do this real quick then I'll stop  Repeat, repeat , repeat OH sh!t is it really 3;15 !!!  Dang, in about an hour I could have this done and drive it it'll be getting light by then - when you hear the door open and "ARE YOU STILL OUT THERE????"

SOOOOOOOOOO, true!!!!

As you all probably guessed, my wife is out of town through tomorrow. 😜
Nothing beats a classic!

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 09:17:57 PM »

SOOOOOOOOOO, true!!!!

As you all probably guessed, my wife is out of town through tomorrow. 😜

I hear you, when the family is away my garage time jumps massively
Good fun
Well done
6S373
6S1276

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2019, 04:58:48 AM »
I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has done this before...have you ever headed out to the garage to do a few "minor" things around 8pm, only to find yourself slipping into bed at 3:30am the next day?  Yeah, that's me!   ;D

So, last night's "I'm just going to prep the car for transmission installation the next day" turned into a full-blown installation.  Overall, it went extremely well, with the exception of my exhaust; which now is obstructed via the parking brake bar located on the transmission cross member.  Oh well, it could have been much worse!  However, I was able to change out the fly wheel, clutch, install the bell housing (late model Fox Body; which doesn't require holes to be drilled in my original bell housing), installation of a late model Fox body starter (which truly pains me, as I have a newly restored concours correct starter :'() and new speedo cable (thank the Lord, as I noticed that the sheathing had been pretty flattened in the past due to exhaust heat, but was still working well).

Tomorrow, I'm getting the exhaust sorted out, and then I'm hitting the road - I can't wait!

This post was brought to you by coffee.  Coffee - when you don't know when to stop and go to bed.  8)

What about the drive shaft? Don't you need to order a new length?

Steve