News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Tachometer Wiring Upgrade

Started by cobradad, July 29, 2019, 08:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobradad

I'm installing a Pertronix distributor and because of this I was told that I need to "Upgrade" the tachometer from a 2 wire to a 3 wire setup to get the tachometer to work.
Any recommendations on who I could send mine out to in order to get this done? Cost estimate for this to happen?
Help is always appreciated.
Thanks,
Clarence

tonys_shelby

I just got my tach / instrument cluster back from Phil Severance who completely restored it including testing and calibrating. He came highly recommended and I have to agree did a great job. I would think if anyone knows how to modify it would be him.
His phone is 208 734 4535  Tony

1967 eight barrel

Quote from: cobradad on July 29, 2019, 08:22:21 PM
I'm installing a Pertronix distributor and because of this I was told that I need to "Upgrade" the tachometer from a 2 wire to a 3 wire setup to get the tachometer to work.
Any recommendations on who I could send mine out to in order to get this done? Cost estimate for this to happen?
Thanks,
Clarence
i would NOT screw with changing the tach unless yours has failed. It can't be changed back. You can run the factory tach with pertronix. I posted on Phil and he rebuilt the Ford factory tach. He is one of the few that has the parts. Stay away from Tachman.
If you need assistance on how to make the factory stuff work shoot me a PM. I'll be glad to walk you through. It's pretty simple.
                                                                        -Keith

cobradad

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on July 30, 2019, 01:29:55 AM
Quote from: cobradad on July 29, 2019, 08:22:21 PM
Thanks,
Clarence
i would NOT screw with changing the tach unless yours has failed. It can't be changed back. You can run the factory tach with pertronix. I posted on Phil and he rebuilt the Ford factory tach. He is one of the few that has the parts. Stay away from Tachman.
If you need assistance on how to make the factory stuff work shoot me a PM. I'll be glad to walk you through. It's pretty simple.
                                                                        -Keith

Hi Keith,
PM sent.
Clarence

67gt500

How about just posting the "How to do this" for all to see ?

cobradad

Ok, until I figure out how to get the indash tach to work with the Pertronix I have an Autometer 2301
3-3/4" pedestal tach mounted on my steering column. Sooooo
Hurray!!!
The Beast is officially alive again. The new engine is running good.
At least from the shop to work.  ;D
A bit more cam than the old engine. Some quick specs:
378.5 HP, 343.8 ft/lbs torque at 5800 RPM
Cam specs: .543 Intake, .554 Exhaust - 218 Intake / 226 Exhaust Duration
Heads: 60cc chambers - 2.02 Intake / 1.60 Exhaust - 190cc Intake / 60cc Exhaust
I will need to get used to the lumpty-lump movement of the car at idle.
Engine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozlo5q18bzjs9xm/new%20engine.jpg?dl=0
Engine first fired up: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvw3xzxm8k0506q/Shelby_Sound-7-31-2019.mp4?dl=0

Clarence

1967 eight barrel

My apologies.  I'm an airline pilot and have been in the air. I will post some information to try and be transparent as possible.  -Keith