Author Topic: Door End Caps  (Read 1893 times)

Dunerider777

• View Profile
Door End Caps
« on: July 29, 2019, 09:30:44 PM »
Trying to find out if the door end caps that snap into the jam area of the door to cover window hardware should be painted body color or left the plated finish. I am thinking that they should be left plated finish.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Door End Caps
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 09:38:16 PM »
Believe this is what your describing

Painted body color off the car/not installed

If your doing the paint detail on the door remember interior color first and DON"T follow the weather strips final location for the divide between the interior and exterior paint application all the way around.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 09:45:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 11:05:55 PM »
Also don't forget the tin foam gaskets that the caps were installed with .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 07:55:24 AM »
Is there a picture of the tin foam gaskets?

Steve
SFM 6S406

Dunerider777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 09:07:24 AM »
Does anybody make these gaskets? If not what material should be used to make them?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 01:36:13 PM »
Is there a picture of the tin foam gaskets?

May have a picture. Few cars still have it in place and its hard to see with the eye - let alone get a picture, in place, well focused

Does anybody make these gaskets? If not what material should be used to make them?

Not that I'm aware of. Appears to be a white open cell paper thin foam would work
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 02:10:18 PM »
White paper thin open cell foam gasket . They turn yellow with age before getting hard and crumbling.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 02:57:31 PM »
Lol Bob Gaines! The minutiae that this man can recite about the smallest automotive details is remarkable, nay, spellbinding! He is more like a cybernetic organism with a computer in his head interfacing within a human body. He breaks everything down to the molecular level. Something I aspire to be.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 06:00:33 PM »
Not sure when San Jose started using them (number of unrestored cars this morning didn't have any originally) but from a 66 here are the remains after they break down. Remains do not look anything like what a nice fresh looking one looks like in a well maintained car. Did find some foam out in storage - just need to play with a pattern to see how they look. Going to be very thin in a number of ways

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »
Lol Bob Gaines! The minutiae that this man can recite about the smallest automotive details is remarkable, nay, spellbinding! He is more like a cybernetic organism with a computer in his head interfacing within a human body. He breaks everything down to the molecular level. Something I aspire to be.

These guys are on point and know there stuff. Out of interest I will have a look at my doors tonight. I think I have one side with one and one side without.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:07:25 AM by GT350Lad »
6S373
6S1276