News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

289 HiPo- How many were made?

Started by Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas, July 30, 2019, 09:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

I know the 289 HiPo came out in 1963 in the Fairlane and ran through the 1967 Model year
Do we know how many were made? Do we know the break down of how many were in Mustangs ( non Shelby) and the break down if coupes, Convertible and fastback?  how many were made with automatics? And how many were in Fairlane, those couple of Falcons in Canada and if it was ever in any other body or car line?
I once heard that 17,500 were made total and just trying get the facts
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Dan Case

I cannot comment specifically on 1965-67 model years. Only 1963-64 engines approximately because they were given serial numbers by Ford. Mr. Bob Mannel and I share notes on findings fairly often. He knows the Fairlane side of the equation very well and I keep up with the Cobra information. It is worth noting that you cannot just count up Ford vehicles that used them as Ford sold large numbers of engine separate as service items, as retail sale items, and to several car makers besides Shelby American.

March 7, 1963 through June 1963: Ak Miller was quoted in period as estimating that about 1,500 each 1963 assemblies were built. Based on collected data from actual engines the total was probably more like approximately 1,550 units using two different carburetor assemblies and ignition distributors. As far as I know that does not include preproduction assemblies made circa September-October 1962 for testing.  No High Performance 289 (HP289) engines have been found made in July 1963.

1964 model year HP289 production started in August 1963 and ended July 1964. The highest Ford serial number that I have recorded is from mid July 1964 of 6,847. The numbering was a continuation of the series started in 1963. (said another way at least 6,847 each 1963-64 model year engines since March 7, 1963)

In August 1964 forty eight five bolt engines were sent to Shelby American without serial numbers and Shelby American gave them serial numbers. This was after 1965 model year six bolt production started.

Five bolt engines built after July 1964 and used as service replacements or retail sale units did not have Ford assigned serial numbers.

Six bolt engine wise, Ford didn't assign serial numbers August 1964 and later.

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Thanks as I thought it's more complex and involved then just a number
The quest continues
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

shelbydoug

Why do I think that this was discussed before and the answer came up that there are more K Shelbys made then Mustangs by something like 3 to 1?

Of the two. the K Mustang was the rarer car?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Dan Case

Good luck on your hunt. I have been a HP289 fan since 1964. I have never seen in writing an itemized list of how many of each type for used or sold much less how many preproduction engines were tested to failure.  A group of us tried in the early 1970s to determine how many were made. No joy then and no joy since.  So many side bar subjects confound the potential answers:

1)   How many did Ford go through during the development process?
2)   How many did Ford sell to any car maker (Shelby, FAV, Griffith, Lola, et alia) or use themselves?
3)   How many did Ford sell to resellers (Shelby, Sears Roebuck and Co., Montgomery ward, et alia)?
4)   How many did Ford sell to race car builders (Shelby, Holman-Moody, Genie, et alia)?
5)   How many did Ford sell through the dealership system?
6)   How many versions of the many were available as service engines at Ford dealers?
7)   Did Ford make any 'road draft' ventilation versions during the time they brief back peddled into such systems for certain states?
8.     Did any go to the Mexican market?
9)   How many five bolt engines were made for service after July 1964.
10)   How many six bolt engines were made for service after the 1967 model year?
11)   How many four bolt main racing engines were made?
12)   How many GT40/Group II engines were made?
13)   How many SOHC engines were made?

In the decades of paying attention all the above subjects have surfaced. It is very likely that Ford did not care about how many of what as long as somebody wanted to buy the then current version.  Sort of like how many individual granny smith apples did a particular farm grow (not just sell) in one season.  If you find the answers I sure hope you share it with us.

Because of my Cobra research I have learned a little bit about most of the versions I know about below.

Five Bolt Bell Housing Engines
Fall 1962 prototypes of the first and second  1963½ models

1963½ March 7, 1963 through about mid April 1963 Fairlane and Cobra

1963½ about mid April 1963 through June 1963 Fairlane and Cobra

1964 August 1963 through about mid April 1964 Fairlane and Cobra

About mid April 1964 through July 1964 Fairlane manual transmission version

About mid April 1964 through July 1964 Cobra manual transmission version

Late August 1964 engines for new Cobras with a mix of 1964 and 1965 model year parts and subassemblies.

Somewhere in the above were some engines used in GT40s.

August 1964 and later service engines

Six Bolt Bell Housing Engines
1963 (I forgot when) prototypes of the 1965 model year six bolt engine type

August 1964 and later 1965 Fairlane automatic transmission version

August 1964 and later 1965 manual transmission version(s)

1966 and 1967 model year manual transmission versions

1966 and 1967 model year automatic transmission versions

Race only GT40 / Group II Mustang & Cougar versions

Circa 1968 prototype single overhead cam version

Various service replacement versions through at least 1971
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Now my head is starting to hurt, but it's a good hurt, like an ice cream headache

Dan Case

I try to successfully field questions from Cobra owners that do not have the original something (PCV valve maybe to whole engine) for their car. Example: What cylinder block casting? Without knowing the engine number Ford or at the end Shelby assigned anybody's guess is as good as anybody else's because there were several possibilities.

Dan Case

Richstang

I found these numbers for the '67 Mustangs a few years ago and believe they are correct.

"K" Code Mustangs    Hardtop   Fastback   Convertible
4-speed (5)                77             205          34
C4 auto (W)               43             114          16
Totals                      120             319          50
Total: 489         

The article also mentioned the "K" code required the GT package.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

shelbydoug

Quote from: Richstang on July 30, 2019, 08:59:35 PM
I found these numbers for the '67 Mustangs a few years ago and believe they are correct.

"K" Code Mustangs    Hardtop   Fastback   Convertible
4-speed (5)                77             205          34
C4 auto (W)               43             114          16
Totals                      120             319          50
Total: 489         

The article also mentioned the "K" code required the GT package.

That's the one I was thinking of. Those numbers make the K Mustang a rarer car then a Shelby.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

ITHERTZ