Author Topic: build date information  (Read 3435 times)

build date information
« on: July 30, 2019, 11:26:53 AM »
I have the Marti report on my 69 GT500 which states the car was built on June 13.  Was this the date that the car was built and delivered to A.O. Smith, OR was this the date the car was a completed unit and delivered to Shelby, or the date that the car was COMPLETED at Shelby?  Is there a way to know when the car was completed from Shelby?  I am asking to determine the if Shelby components (i.e. Carburetor, shocks, etc.) may have a later component build date than that shown on the Marti. 

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: build date information
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 11:36:21 AM »
The dates on the Marti Report are Ford build dates. That would be the date the car was built/semi completed by Ford.

The dates that the car was completed by AO Smith would be later. You might be able to determine a window when the car was being built at AO Smith by finding a shipping date. That however, maybe much later than the cars actual completion date.

I can't think of any dated components were added by Smith that would be after the Ford build dates, unless you have a 1970 Shelby.

The carburetor would have already been present when completed by Ford and should precede your Marti report dates.
I believe in the case of 1969s, shocks were added at Smith, but its unlikely they would have such a tight window on date codes. Maybe someone who has studied that more closely will chime in.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:46:22 AM by Coralsnake »

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 11:47:36 AM »
Drivetrain parts on  69 gt500 installed at ford dearborn but shocks and leafsprings were installed at a o smith later.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 02:21:12 PM »
Drivetrain parts on  69 gt500 installed at ford dearborn but shocks and leafsprings were installed at a o smith later.

That must mean there were takeoffs of the Ford parts?

Mr. Coralsnake. You just confused the heck out of me with that reply. There are no completion dates at Smith for the '69s?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 03:18:42 PM »
I have not seen a list of Smith completion dates

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 03:25:48 PM »
Am I remembering correctly that Smith lost most if it's Shelby related files in a fire?

Could have sworn I read that in the Registry but can't find it.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 03:59:06 PM »
Just looked at 69 shelby build sheet #1710 and the shock area color codes are blank and i would think  the rear shocks were first installed when the s9ms rear leaf springs were installed at a o smith and the front shocks were installed using the unique welded washer shelby upper shock mount brackets also  done at smith thats what i think anyway but not 100% sure and u can ship a car without shocks installed and less labor removing regular mustang shocks and reinstalling shelby shocks. I need to check an early 69 shelby with blue shocks buildsheet to see if it also has blank shock color codes. #1710 buildsheet had white shocks still on the car i just inspected 26.000 miles shelby.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 04:39:14 PM »
Just looked at 69 shelby build sheet #1710 and the shock area color codes are blank and i would think  the rear shocks were first installed when the s9ms rear leaf springs were installed at a o smith and the front shocks were installed using the unique welded washer shelby upper shock mount brackets also  done at smith thats what i think anyway but not 100% sure and u can ship a car without shocks installed and less labor removing regular mustang shocks and reinstalling shelby shocks. I need to check an early 69 shelby with blue shocks buildsheet to see if it also has blank shock color codes. #1710 buildsheet had white shocks still on the car i just inspected 26.000 miles shelby.
Just for clarification Ed is referring to the Shelby unique C9ZX marked painted white shocks that were installed on 69/70 Shelby's built after approximately mid March of 69. The earlier 69 pre mid March 69 shocks although adjustable were marked Z7ZD and were not Shelby unique. The adjustable shocks (not Koni) that were used on 66,67,68 and earlier 69 Shelby's were typically installed on the Ford assemblyline as indicated on the build sheets/DSO sheets.  The blank shock marked box on the later 69/70 build sheets (after mid March) would support Ed's AO Smith added point of view for those specific shocks IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 05:51:12 PM »
How do you ship a car without rear springs?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 06:35:02 PM »
You dont.

Smith replaced them

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 07:33:24 PM by Coralsnake »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 06:38:00 PM »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 08:03:22 PM »
What is the difference with the shelby spring? Does it have a different arch?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 08:07:37 PM »
What is the difference with the shelby spring? Does it have a different arch?

Different leaves and in turn believe different load ratio.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 08:37:12 PM »
Bottom short leaf is flat and has c9zx or s9ms #s  and only use 2 wraps not 3 like other rear springs

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 09:50:38 PM »
If you compare the separate leaves of the 69/70 Shelby leaf spring you will find that the only one that is comparable to a regular Mustang is the main leaf with the front spring bushing . The others are different longer lengths . The bottom leaf is flat as Ed described. Many 69/70 Shelby owners don't realize that they are so unique and replace just the bottom leaf thinking that is the only difference. Wrong.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby