News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 GT350H comes out of hiding, off road for 25 years or so.

Started by 6s1640, July 30, 2019, 12:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

I missed the Mustang Round Up at the Bellevue College back on July 21.  I have heard from Dave McDonald that there was a 66 GT350H that has come out of hiding, absent from the roads for over 25 years.  The story Dave told me was something like the father had passed away and now the son has stewardship of the car.  He recently got the car running and brought to the show.  The car looks a little rough with original paint.  Dave got a couple of pictures of the engine and other close ups, but not the entire car.  Did any body see and get a picture or know the SAI VIJN or mystery owner?  (Dave, straighten me out where I got the details not quite right.)

Thanks

Cory

http://mustangsnorthwest.com/car-shows/mustang-roundup-2019-2/

silverton_ford

Was it this one?  (photo taken by Hans Pedersen)

This is 6S1397 and a couple of years ago I heard a similar story about it.  Paint looks tired, but it is still cool.  Appears to have Pantera wheels on it.

6s1640

Hi Brian,

That's it.  Thank you.  Have you looked up in the new registry?

Cory

silverton_ford

Quote from: 6s1640 on July 30, 2019, 01:53:31 PM
Hi Brian,

That's it.  Thank you.  Have you looked up in the new registry?

Cory

Yeah, it is in there with a recent photo.

Here are some more photos taken at Griots cruise-in last summer.  I have other photos on my computer at home as well.

6s1640

Hi Brain,

Thank you for the more pictures.  Very cool.  Glad to see the car is getting out and about.

Take care

Cory

s2ms

Quote from: silverton_ford on July 30, 2019, 01:03:06 PM
Was it this one?  (photo taken by Hans Pedersen)

This is 6S1397 and a couple of years ago I heard a similar story about it.  Paint looks tired, but it is still cool.  Appears to have Pantera wheels on it.

Thanks Brian for posting the photo. I was so interested looking 6S1397 over I forgot to take a pic of the car!
Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

cob4ra

I'm loving the Black still on the SFM plate! Im jealous as mine is graying! Any one successful in re darkening this black on yours ??
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: cob4ra on July 31, 2019, 11:15:57 AM
I'm loving the Black still on the SFM plate! Im jealous as mine is graying! Any one successful in re darkening this black on yours ??
I would not be bothered. In my mind the "patina'  adds to the authenticity of the tag to the uninformed. FYI in concours we don't typically deduct for that fading even though the rest of the car is expected to be as new. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: sfm5s081 on July 31, 2019, 04:46:55 PM
It's only original once!

That's the truth!  I used to think that just about everything and every car should be restored.  Now, I find that I enjoy original cars with all of their wear and tear or a really good driver. 

I got a chance to see 5006 at SAAC 44 this year.  The owner, Bill Collins, had a sign on the car that read something to the effect of, "People ask me if I'm going to restore the car, and I just laugh.  It took me over 48 years to get it looking like this!"  The car has lots of patina, and a tremendous amount of soul.  If it was a person, it would be the greatest ladies' man of all time!  ;)

Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: sfm5s081 on July 31, 2019, 04:46:55 PM
It's only original once!

That's the truth!  I used to think that just about everything and every car should be restored.  Now, I find that I enjoy original cars with all of their wear and tear or a really good driver.  And, some cars HAVE to be restored based on their condition.  I get that, too.

I got a chance to see 5006 at SAAC 44 this year.  The owner, Bill Collins, had a sign on the car that read something to the effect of, "People ask me if I'm going to restore the car, and I just laugh.  It took me over 48 years to get it looking like this!"  The car has lots of patina, and a tremendous amount of soul.  If it was a person, it would be the greatest ladies' man of all time!  ;)
Nothing beats a classic!

cob4ra

Bob thanks for the wonderful perspective on my plates patina! It was put on April of 1966 when I was only 15 years old ! Never removed ( just carefully masked) even when chassis restoration down to core support and aprons! So I'm leaving it alone! I'm loving it wearing its years patina now! It's just right this way!
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!