Author Topic: BJ/BK Carburators  (Read 2265 times)

Terry Curry

• View Profile
BJ/BK Carburators
« on: July 31, 2019, 01:52:46 AM »
Hello All,
I have a question about the stock carbs that were used on 67 GT 500 Shelby Mustangs, what are the advantages running stock VS other carbs. The reason I asked is when I bought my car it came with Holley 1850-2's that need to be rebuilt and knowing the cost for the re-issue ones being sold by Tony Branda and original ones VS the carbs I have, what are advantages between the three. My car is close to stock except the paint (Very vintage early 70's metallic scallops on the hood) and the engine, a 427 side-oiler with survival motorsports heads so kinda of a "Day 2" vibe so the carburetors are not high on my list at this time  but would like to know if stock linkages and all the other items that get attached to the carbs can stay stock.
The engine has just been built and the carbs are the last thing I need to get ready for the run stand.

Thank you

Terry
1967 GT500 #504

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: BJ/BK Carburators
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 06:41:10 AM »
You can run virtually any square bore Holley on that set up.

The original linkage however is all Ford. It is a 67 version of the Ford 427 linkage. It mounts the carbs backwards.

The primary throttle shafts on the original carbs are referred to as "Ford throttle shafts". The linkage is made for those shafts. The 1850-2 is not a Ford throttle shaft. You need to modify them to use the Ford linkage.

Personally I'm running the 427 BC-BD carbs.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 07:22:47 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67GT500#1594

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »
Terry,
I’m not sure you do Facebook but you need to look up “AirFuelSpark” on there. Drew just completed my BJ/ BK carbs for my car. He restores them to perfection and even test runs them in. I have a very similar build with “day 2” mods. I had the BJ/BK’s done for prosperity and to go on my original engine set up. I have a 496 Tunnel Port so stock carbs wont cut it for my fun level. He has a great post on FB about original vs repo carbs. Drew is also very responsive to any questions and many, many guys on the FE forums love his detail and work!

As above, the 1850’s have a different throttle arm set up. Drew can fix that too. He prefers to use 1850’s for most of his builds because they are more adjustable and obtainable for sure. He sells matched sets of 1850’s all day. I personally wish I had waited on my TP carbs as the Quick Fuel’s just don’t have that period look! I’m probably gonna run a set of his “perfect 1850’s” before the QF carbs just to compare.

Great guy, great response, awesome detailed work and fair pricing!!
Regards,
Matt

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 01:30:43 AM »
Drew just did mine and straightened out a mess that no matter what was done would not lean out. I would be glad to provide you his phone number if you'd like.
I can't say enough about him. He actually pulled the carbs off his 427 Galaxie and set my carbs up on his vehicle and returned them.

-Keith

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 11:19:12 AM »
 +2 Drew has a GREAT knowledge of Holley carbs. He can ( and has) tame some of the most unruly ones out there. He goes the extra mile on restoration ( coloration especially) and proper plating types ( not just all gold zinc) on the hardware. There are many options for quality carb restorers , Drew tops my list.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 02:12:21 PM »
These are my BJ-BK's on Drews Galaxie.  They run beautifully and the AF is on the money.
                                                               -Keith

https://www.facebook.com/AirFuelSParkTech/videos/1231150237067129/

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 06:49:43 PM »
List 1850-1 has the correct throttle shafts but you need to install the trunnions. I make them on the lathe for psuedo reproductions. You also need to drill a hole to install the trunnions in the lower position. Both trunnions low for low riser linkage, one high one low for MR linkage.

“Most” 1850-2’s have universal throttle shafts. You can use with the medium riser linkage and the predrilled hole, but you cannot have them progressive, they will be much close to 1:1.
This isn’t a deal breaker, but obviously lacks some of the benefits of the factory setup.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 01:12:17 AM »
Drew, nice to see you here.  Nice to have a truly masterful carb guy that actually wants to help and isn't a flaming arrogant ass. Welcome aboard!
Thank you again for straightening out the mess I had and all the flaws!
                                                                                                  -Keith

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 06:32:32 AM »
Well..... I didn’t have anything better to do 😀

Just trying to keep kids off EFI.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:45:39 AM by Drew Pojedinec »

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 01:16:40 AM »
This is your brain.... This is your  brain on EFI... Any questions?  LOL   There's little that sounds like a pair of secondaries opening up!

-Keith