Author Topic: General Convention Info Wanted  (Read 11208 times)

Sxty8KR

• I've wanted an early Shelby since I was 17
    • View Profile
General Convention Info Wanted
« on: February 16, 2018, 11:52:34 PM »
Hi Everyone. New to the Forum. Just a few questions I'm sure you seasoned veterans can fill me in on regarding attending the SAAC Convention upcoming in CA. I've secured a room at the host hotel in California. This will be my first convention and I will be trailering the KR in from Seattle to attend. But I do not know the general protocol. I understand that there will be security overnight at the hotel. But do you drive the truck & trailer there and unload the car, or is that done at the track? Are the cars kept at the hotel parking lot strictly untrailerd or are they trailered every day? I might be jumping the gun a little, as there may be info forthcoming, but I'm excited to attend and make sure I don't create problems when I get there.  Thanks for your responses & insight.

Steve
Seattle, Wash.
68 KR  #3777

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: General Convention Info Wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 08:18:03 AM »

I'll be anxious to see the replies, as I was curious about the trailer parking issue as well.

~Steven

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 08:52:46 AM »
I don’t know the particulars of this convention.
That said the protocol is usually “do what you like”.
Normally can unload at either.
If your Car is concours and to be judged then do it at that venue.
Otherwise it doesn’t matter unless there is a space issue.
In which case,...”early and often,” or “the early bird gets the worm.”
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 08:54:11 AM »
Steve
I see ur from Seattle.
Are you Mikes buddy? Mike who had the green KR in the Seattle area?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

shelby1817

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 09:10:23 AM »
Sxty8kr Having missed very few conventions... I can say what works for me. we pull in with truck and trailer to the track first, register and find a place to park.  we then make that our home for the next few days.  we unload the car or cars and drive to the host hotel. Security was never a problem at the hotels for us, and you will be parking with many others.  We have gotten to the point of friendships...saying that you will need to be at the track early for drivers meeting if you are going on track. My wife likes to sleep in and considers the conventions  a vacation. she will sleep in a bit... and head to the lobby and hitch a ride with other wife's or someone heading to the event....  I found it better to leave, trailer and truck in the paddock  and have everything at the track. food water and shelter from the heat.

If you are using a pick up with the enclosed  trailer, before we went big with the semi and stacker trailers we would use the trailer as the garage every nite and drive back and forth with the pickup.... The advantage  was security from the weather if things turn bad.... (tornado Like winds and everyone huddled down in the tunnel) as it did at Road America a bunch of year back...... Ken Costella 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:21:29 AM by shelby1817 »

Sxty8KR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 11:07:30 PM »
Thanks very much for the replies! 

Ken:  I will be towing enclosed trailer down with my Super Duty. No semi for me, wish I could though.   8)

Bigfoot: Sorry, I don't know Mike here in Seattle. Have met two other KR owners here locally; Dan & Joe who both have Yellow KR's as well. I heard tell of a fourth Yellow KR which has been owned by the same owner for two or three decades & parked away somewhere here in Western Wash., but I've never heard exactly where that car might be.    :(
Steve
Seattle, Wash.
68 KR  #3777

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 11:42:52 PM »
At SAAC 35 the host hotel was the Embassy Suites as is SAAC 43. There were a couple cars that were off loaded in the hotel parking lot. If I remember correctly there were a couple trailers and tow vehicles parked on the street, next to the hotel (not in the hotel Parking lot). Some brought the tow/trailers back to the track for the weekend driven by second person or buddy.
I know this as I led one of the cruises (out to hwy1). One of the cruise attendees a green 67 maybe 68 off loaded in the parking lot just before we left.

Cheers,
~Earl J
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:25:45 AM by SFM5S000 »

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 11:48:05 PM »
Just an option if you are member of the WASAAC club.  They are getting a hauler together to haul 6 cars down.  Just an option if you didn't hear about it.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 01:00:09 AM »
Hit Google maps and check out the hotel parking to see if it's suitable for truck & trailer parking. If you park/unload at the hotel look for a spot you can put the car back in the trailer for the night for added security. Most conventions will have SAAC members bench racing in the parking lots way into the wee hours - much later than crooks like to stay up for an easy score.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 12:22:39 PM »
   I have stayed at the Embassy suites many times for various racing events at Infineon.  The parking lot is adequate but I feel leaving the trailer at the track is safer and less troublesome than going to the hotel with it. There is PLENTY of room at the track and it is secured every evening.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:38:08 AM by gt350hr »
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Sxty8KR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 11:10:16 PM »
Thanks for the continued replies everyone. Very helpful to me! I'm looking forward to attending for sure.   :)
Steve
Seattle, Wash.
68 KR  #3777

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 02:14:56 PM »
Re:  Convention
Subject:  Parking 'RV' type trucks at the Sear Pt. Racetrack
Does anyone know what the 'rules' are for parking (overnight) in an RV or Trailer at the Racetrack?

Note:  I have attended Historic Races about 20 yrs. ago; where you could stay overnight at the track. (I was an 'official' or Scorer)
The rules are 'posted' for NASCAR, Historic, and Indy Cars; however, I have not been to a SAAC event at this track.

Thanks
H. G. Pedersen

Bigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 05:13:57 PM »
Thanks very much for the replies! 

Ken:  I will be towing enclosed trailer down with my Super Duty. No semi for me, wish I could though.   8)

Bigfoot: Sorry, I don't know Mike here in Seattle. Have met two other KR owners here locally; Dan & Joe who both have Yellow KR's as well. I heard tell of a fourth Yellow KR which has been owned by the same owner for two or three decades & parked away somewhere here in Western Wash., but I've never heard exactly where that car might be.    :(

Mike sold his 10 years ago.
Must be Dan or Joe.
Have fun at Convention.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »
Re:  Convention
Subject:  Parking 'RV' type trucks at the Sear Pt. Racetrack
Does anyone know what the 'rules' are for parking (overnight) in an RV or Trailer at the Racetrack?

Note:  I have attended Historic Races about 20 yrs. ago; where you could stay overnight at the track. (I was an 'official' or Scorer)
The rules are 'posted' for NASCAR, Historic, and Indy Cars; however, I have not been to a SAAC event at this track.

Thanks
H. G. Pedersen

It's never been a problem.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.