Author Topic: Friendly warning  (Read 7089 times)

6972boss

• View Profile
Friendly warning
« on: July 31, 2019, 11:58:19 PM »
Hi all, i want to post a kind warning about dealings with survival motorsports.  I purchased a set of FE complete heads off ebay from Barry.  He promised me they would be completed in 60 days.  90 days later still no product. 120 days later no product. I was way overdue my heads so i asked for a refund. Sent numerous emails, no reply. Several voice messages and no return calls. 6 months later i received an email stating he has been sick. 7 months later he says he is short of help. 9 months later he said he was
short on inventory,  more excuses why he cant refund my $2700 or provide me a set of heads. It was an endless string of excuses. I had to finally break down and buy another set of heads to get my engine back in the car. Barry was apologetic and promised he would take care of me. It didnt happen. I had to text, call and email constantly with no replies. I finally was forced to contact the FBI internet crimes detail and the Michigan state police
 after 14 months of being blown off. I emailed Barry of my intentions to prosecute him for theft as a courtesy to him. Amazingly i had a set of heads on my doorstep within a week. Be careful with your dealings with survival motorsports. Barry is not a good guy!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly warning
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 12:11:16 AM »
So sorry to hear this, and thanks for the heads up. 👍🏻
Nothing beats a classic!

cob4ra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 12:36:47 AM »
Great to have our forum for education and bad potholes in the road like this guy ( Thanks ( sorry this happened to you)
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

cobradad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 01:33:09 AM »
I'll add to the do not even consider this company.
I contacted ATK to get an engine built for my Shelby in January 2019.
No problem says the sales guy. February I put half down and was told 4 to 5 weeks to build and ship.
Early April, still no engine. on 4-9 was told "the engine is finished we are just having an issue with our new operating system to be able to ship it out.  The engine should ship out this week." 4-23 the engine still not shipped out due to shipping issues. 5-1 still not shipped 'cause computer issues lost the shop address it was supposed to go to. 5-7 I was told "It seems that your engine has been lost, the shipping department tried to track it down but no one can find it." Then they were building another engine but were waiting for a camshaft. on 5-24 I asked for my money back since nothing was showing up.
Long story short, if you need a crate engine contact Kell at BlurPrint Engines. I  asked for an engine and it was shipped out in less than a week.
Clarence
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:34:41 AM by cobradad »

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 02:08:12 AM »
Too bad about Survival. He has had a great reputation for years. Sorry to hear it has changed.

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 02:13:44 AM »
Yes really bad I also had a conservation with them and I was only a step away from ordering a 30.000$ engine, so thanks for the information.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

67gt500

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 03:45:40 AM »
6972Boss, i had the same problem, but with a FE stroker kit, brought through his web site.. paid the coin and then nothing.. what a drama..
Your story sounded exactly what happened to me.. All sorts of excuses.. 1 year later i finally got my money back.. Never again.. Put my engine build back 2 years. I'm sure there is going to be some folks who say, "he was great to deal with", but i'm with you.. tread carefully..

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 09:34:38 AM »
Thanks for the heads up!!!

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 11:02:02 AM »
Almost a year to get my 462 stroker built, and I supplied all the parts. I even went to Survival for a status review meeting. In the end, got a great product, but it was painful.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 12:20:24 PM »
How does this guy stay in business?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 12:41:07 PM »
Sounds like the case of someone who had a good reputation that is sliding downhill quickly.
Nothing beats a classic!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 12:59:27 PM »
How does this guy stay in business?

He wrote a book, is in the Engine Masters contest regularly and does get press;

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/21st-century-cobra-jet/

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 04:59:30 PM »
   Sorry to hear that . My only dealings with him are on the supply end and he has always been great. I expedite part production for him often and in some cases ship direct to his customer to save delays. He always pays his bills on time. I value his business.
     One note on the cylinder head deal , He has those heads cast by another major aluminum casting company that makes parts for themselves and other "private" label companies like Ford racing , GM , Mummert ( Y block Fords) and others. IF there is a production delay , Barry doesn't receive HIS parts when expected. I can't ( and won't attempt to) defend  him on this issue and I am in TOTAL agreement that YOU had to go to EXTREMES that you should NOT have had to.
    Respectfully ,
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 05:21:56 PM »
so that's good to hear maybe he isn't having money problems. I would hate to have someone have a deposit down and not get it back! Like me!

67gt500

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 05:51:15 PM »
Hi Randy, yep your right with supply issues, and I total understand that, that was his issue with the pistons, but I had to chase him for information, which was like playing detective across different forums until I got a response.. Wouldn’t answer via his company emails. I would even ring his business phone number and it would just go to answer phone, on multiple occasions.. Then the stories would not align.. and I was prepared to hang in there and wait for the parts, but man,it just became “ shit I’m going to lose my coin here” if I don’t do something. So I asked for it back, and then that became a drawn out process.. and that’s the short version of events..
I ended up getting what I needed from Blair Patrick.. Now, there is a top bloke to do business with..